The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

does banshee do "scripted blast" ?

Posted (edited)

they said on devsteam that frost didn't do real frost he did scripted frost and they give him a mini rework to make him deal real frost

does banshee deal real blast or is it scripted blast? will her aoe get to 10 stacks and boom, will it still be bad?

Edited by _Anise_

Posted (edited)

You clearly do not understand the difference between Status application and Damage type.

Banshee's Sound Quake doesnt apply any statuses, just does Blast damage. Same way Equinox Maim doesnt apply any Bleed, just does Slash damage. They both apply Stagger and even though it counts as status it doesnt stack or provide any bonuses like damage status would.

Frost abilities used to do Cold Damage, but the resulting frozen status may not have been an actuall Cold proc. They changed it after they buffed Cold proc with crit multiplier.

Edited by Zakkhar
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Zakkhar said:

Same way Equinox Maim doesnt apply any Bleed, just does Slash damage.

Actually, Maim does apply a guaranteed Slash proc.  It's just pretty weak so it's easy to miss.

But in regards to OP's question, the basic answer is:

No, Banshee doesn't do any actual Blast procs, so the Blast rework will not impact her abilities.

The more involved details are:

When Pablo was talking about "scripted" status, what he was talking about was how some abilities apply status procs while others can do similar effects and much more  by just having the effect (unrelated to any proc) be a part of the ability.  So with regard to Frost's Avalanche, it actually does both; the way the ability has worked for a long time is it actually does two different freeze-esque things:

1. Applies a special Freeze status enemies that lasts 8 seconds (modified by Duration); this is the "scripted" part.
  2. Applies 6 Cold procs to the enemies, which last the same amount of time as all Cold procs.

If you were to increase or decrease your Duration value, you'd be able to see the Cold procs disappearing either before or after the enemies stopped being frozen!  Because at present, the Cold procs and the Freeze status actually have nothing to do with one another; they just happen to be applied at the same time by the same ability.  After all, the upcoming Cold rework hasn't happened yet, which means that right now Cold procs themselves can never result in an enemy being Frozen.

Often it can be difficult to determine whether an ability does a proc or a scripted effect, so it can be really helpful to check the Warframe wiki.  For example, you could check https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Sound_Quake or https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Avalanche to get all the info on how certain abilities work.  I generally just do a search for warframe and the ability or warframe and it ends up being the first result.  It's a great tool!

Hope this helps!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

You clearly do not understand the difference between Status application and Damage type

I do know that elemental damage is different to status, what I did not know is banshee sound quake didn't apply status

why dosn't it again? because it seems like she would be kinda cool if she could put -75% to aim on everything, at that point it wouldn't even matter that her ultimate does 💩 all damage

1 hour ago, _Anise_ said:

what I did not know is banshee sound quake didn't apply status

why dosn't it again?

I think the best way to explain it is to understand that weapons and abilities are two wildly different things.  When you have a weapon, there are all of these stats that every single weapon has, such as base damage, crit damage, and of course, status chance.

But abilities aren't like that; they don't have a standard template of stats to fill out.  They can do anything the devs tell them to do without violating any standard templates.

I find that visualizing helps me to understand abstract stuff like this.  So imagine making a new melee weapon.  Part of that process is going to be making sure that every stat on the Arsenal screen gets filled out; for the devs, this probably means that when they make a weapon, they fill out something similar to an Excel spreadsheet that has fields for range, status chance, etc.  And the weapon won't be finished until every last one of those fields has a value; if even one of these required fields doesn't have a value, the game would probably give an error when trying to use it.

Now let's imagine making a new ability; what do we have to do?  The answer is basically nothing.  Instead of an Excel spreadsheet, we've probably got something akin to a nearly empty script file (done in a code language like Lua).  The devs could put basically nothing in that file and the ability would technically work; the ability doesn't need to cost energy, doesn't need to deal damage, doesn't need to affect anything.  That would of course be a pretty boring ability to add to the game, but the point is that it would technically work because there are basically no expectations for what abilities need to do.

So like a buffet, we can add everything we want to the ability without adding anything we don't want.  So if we add damage to the ability, there's no expectation that there's any status.  If we want, we can add status chance, but if we don't, that's fine, too.  In this way, the devs have a lot more freedom to customize the exact behavior of abilities.

I hope that helps!

• Like 1