Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

AI - adaptability of adversaries

I would like to suggest an idea for a better gaming experience.

It's to include AI in Warframe. The AI would be used to give the different characters, enemies and allies, a better adaptive reaction to combat with respect to who is playing and the situation on the battlefield. According to their abilities, their means and tools of attacks and defenses.

Instead of already integrated and rigidly executed behavioral schema. It would be nice to include AI in all of this as well.

If DE ever wanted to enhance the behavior of the game's NPC's, it is highly unlikely that they would use any manner of "AI" (the ChatGTP-adjacent kind) to make those changes, because it would simply be inefficient.  It would be both less expensive and more effective to simply have human programmers, designers, and artists do that work.

There are certainly activities where "AI" can be helpful, but one of its major problems right now is that it isn't reliable even when it comes to simple activities.  If you want to use "AI" to generate a high-quality commercial product, you need to hire people whose job it is to wrangle and filter the "AI" so that you can isolate the good aspects of its output and get rid of the bad.  And what you absolutely can't do is publish the "AI" inside your game so that it is dynamically altering content without any level of human moderation; that's a recipe for disaster.

So before you start using "AI", you have to ask the question: can I better meet my goal by hiring people to intelligently and intentionally steer towards outcomes, or is there something so special about the outcomes I have in mind that it would genuinely be more effective to use "AI"?  And in the case of game development, it's going to be humans 99.9% of the time.

Because game design is an art.  The real-world problem that game designers solve is that their audience wants to be entertained.  And that means that the game they design needs to be fun.  And "fun" is something today's "AI" can't grok; heck, today's AI has trouble generating a 2D image of a finger, and that's way less abstract than the subjective and nebulous idea of fun.

For the foreseeable future, if we want our games to be lasting and fun, we will need human developers to design that fun.