Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Daily Login Coupons For Console Are Now Terrible Compared To PC

(PSN)Rainbow_Neos1

With a recent update, coupons on console were changed. Previously, console coupons had three tiers: 25, 50, and 75%. These coupons, unlike PC, could be used on a single item in the market that was not a bundle or tennogen. This effectively allowed the user to simulate the experience of the PC coupon which is a coupon to reduce a platinum purchase by 25% to 75%. Even though it worked only on one purchase, this allowed the devs to give console players a similar experience without needing to have a bunch of work with third parties to have a bunch of plat packs linked to a coupon. Simply put, that's not a viable option, and thus their solution was the previous coupon system, and it worked well.

Recently, this console coupon system was changed. The new effect of a coupon on console is an increase in acquired platinum equal to a percent on their next plat purchase. Immediately, that may sound like it would effectively be the same as the PC coupon since 75% bonus platinum would be comparable to 75% off a plat pack, right? Nope. 

Let's take the 150$ plat pack which gives 3210 plat. 

If I reduce that cost with a PC coupon by 75%, I pay 37.50$ for 3210 platinum. That's 85.6 plat to the dollar. 

On the low end, let's do the 25% coupon for PC. I pay 112.50 for 3210 plat. That's 28.5 plat to the dollar.

Now looking at the new bonus plat coupons with said 150$ pack. 

If I increase the plat by 75%, I'm getting 5618 plat for 150$. That's 37.45 plat to the dollar. That's DRASTICALLY lower than the 85.6 plat per dollar. 

On the lower end at 25% bonus plat, I'd get 4013 plat for 150$. That's 26.75 plat to the dollar. That's still lower than the 28.5 plat per dollar you'd get with the 25% off purchase coupon.

This is a massive problem to see such a change take place. It's honestly aggravating.

Mind you, I don't play on PC. For all I know, they've normalized PC to this new coupon system as well. If they have, then both PC and console tenno have been screwed because then both platforms would have worse coupons. 

A solution is to simply allow console coupons to be used either in market as it used to work or allow it to be used for extra plat. Heck, they could even increase the bonus plat max coupon on console considering you'd need 4x plat to match 75% off plat rates. 

Correct me if I'm made any mistakes. Thanks. And I really hope the devs make a change bc this was a bad change. 

Edited by (PSN)Rainbow_Neos1
  • Like 4

• (PSN)Rainbow_Neos1 changed the title to New Daily Login Coupons For Console Are Unbelievably Unfair
18 hours ago, DarkSamusMan said:

why not just keep market coupons and then just add them to PC?...either adding them to the login reward pool or just give PC players a choice when a coupon drops.

why change console coupons to plat purchases and make them worse than PC?

This is a good idea, but that would give double value to PC for coupons. They could use one to reduce buy cost then again when using said plat in market. The point of market coupons was to simulate the PC coupon experience within 3rd party limiting bounds. They wouldn't go for it. A revert for now would be good bc coupons on console are utterly garbage now. 

yes there is, what i experience is common, people who generally do not buy plat with these coupons, simply start getting less of them, it is a robbery of opportunity, not like resources you get with a daily login matter after login day 750 right?

4 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

I currently have a 20% coupon and I had a 75% 2 weeks ago. RNG is RNG, there is nothing to address.

1 hour ago, 3xt1inct said:

yes there is, what i experience is common, people who generally do not buy plat with these coupons, simply start getting less of them, it is a robbery of opportunity, not like resources you get with a daily login matter after login day 750 right?

I haven't bought platinum in a few years since I had plenty of slots and a buffer for new stuff and cosmetics that caught my eye. I've let many many coupons expire without using them in that time, including several 75%. So your theory that people that don't buy plat stop getting coupons doesn't hold water. Calling your lack of coupons due to RNG "robbery" is ludicrous.

• Like 1

This "new" coupon for consoles is wrong... on so many levels.

The maths: we aren't getting anywhere near the % benefit as PCers -- something PCers don't seem to comprehend. 

The worthless reward factor: "as a thanks for playing our game, you get to give us money!"

Additionally, to above point: "you get to give us money now!" I already supply this game with plenty of cash, but now I'm basically being told when I should?

The hard push to turn console players into PC players: hard pass for me.

If we can log in and pick between neurodes, oxium, or detonite, there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to log in and choose either plat purchase or market discount.

2 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

I haven't bought platinum in a few years since I had plenty of slots and a buffer for new stuff and cosmetics that caught my eye. I've let many many coupons expire without using them in that time, including several 75%. So your theory that people that don't buy plat stop getting coupons doesn't hold water. Calling your lack of coupons due to RNG "robbery" is ludicrous.

It does hold water or are you gonna say your data coming form only you is more valid than data of about 1000 players?

4 hours ago, 3xt1inct said:

It does hold water or are you gonna say your data coming form only you is more valid than data of about 1000 players?

There is no legitimate data to back up what you're saying. My partner hasn't bought plat in a very long time and got 75% recently and the others, same for myself. I still remember when people tried claiming not logging in for x time would yield a 75%, which would mean not buying plat. They too claimed what they said was legitimate.

It also makes far more sense to increase the likelihood of a discount appearing when you rarely buy plat as an incentive to do so. If someone isn't buying plat, denying them a discount is the worst way to change that.

5 hours ago, 3xt1inct said:

People are far more likely to speak up about things when there is a complaint than when things are working just fine for them. This is the same reason why online ratings that you see (from real people not paid garbage or bots) are mostly negative and places are so desperate and try to offer stuff to people that will leave a positive review.

People might make an excited comment in chat if they get a 50% or better coupon when they log in, but they aren't going to come to the forum and make a post about it. It would be incredibly obnoxious and look like people are rubbing it in other's faces if they did*. But people make "Gimme a 75% coupon already!" posts quite often. So the positives get a fleeting mention that's lost in chat within seconds and the forums get negative posts that hang around forever and readily visible for days at least. Throwing up a hyperbolic statement of my experience versus "1000 players" doesn't change anything.

*I know myself and @Yamazuki have committed the sin of bringing up getting coupons, but we're making a counterpoint, not bragging about our luck

Console players have been selling their 75% discount for a long time. Because of Cross Save, this has been an issue to DE. Log into console fishing for a market discount, then switching to PC for the discount on plat. This is just 'a' solution to the problem. Awarding bonus plat to console buyer is the same as PC plat discount. Without messing with PSN. 

3 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

People are far more likely to speak up about things when there is a complaint than when things are working just fine for them. This is the same reason why online ratings that you see (from real people not paid garbage or bots) are mostly negative and places are so desperate and try to offer stuff to people that will leave a positive review.

People might make an excited comment in chat if they get a 50% or better coupon when they log in, but they aren't going to come to the forum and make a post about it. It would be incredibly obnoxious and look like people are rubbing it in other's faces if they did*. But people make "Gimme a 75% coupon already!" posts quite often. So the positives get a fleeting mention that's lost in chat within seconds and the forums get negative posts that hang around forever and readily visible for days at least. Throwing up a hyperbolic statement of my experience versus "1000 players" doesn't change anything.

*I know myself and @Yamazuki have committed the sin of bringing up getting coupons, but we're making a counterpoint, not bragging about our luck

Ah yeah sure that is why we all started measuring from the last coupon, because we did the study out of curiosity with control groups and all. We started the study at a reference point and did not rely on surveys, just to negate the "extremity bias". Not a Hyperbolic statement, else i would not use it, i work as a scientist/data analyst, it would not fit my ethics.

4 hours ago, Yamazuki said:

There is no legitimate data to back up what you're saying. My partner hasn't bought plat in a very long time and got 75% recently and the others, same for myself. I still remember when people tried claiming not logging in for x time would yield a 75%, which would mean not buying plat. They too claimed what they said was legitimate.

It also makes far more sense to increase the likelihood of a discount appearing when you rarely buy plat as an incentive to do so. If someone isn't buying plat, denying them a discount is the worst way to change that.

Sure the first one is a myth, secondly we do have data.  Anyway DE lists a coupon as a legendary (same dropchance as an arcane energize/legendary core originally which were both .1% when the daily tribute system came live), if @Hobie-wan got 2 coupons in 2 weeks, he should go play the lottery.

2 hours ago, ominumi said:

Console players have been selling their 75% discount for a long time. Because of Cross Save, this has been an issue to DE. Log into console fishing for a market discount, then switching to PC for the discount on plat. This is just 'a' solution to the problem. Awarding bonus plat to console buyer is the same as PC plat discount. Without messing with PSN. 

No, it isn't the same. Literally look at the math in my post. You'll see there is a MASSIVE difference in plat. 

• Like 1

• (PSN)Rainbow_Neos1 changed the title to New Daily Login Coupons For Console Are Now Terrible Compared To PC

secondly we do have data.

Ah yes, clearly you do have the data. That's why you presented it here in support of your argument instead of throwing out a randomly nice round "sounds good" number like 1000.

Ah yeah sure that is why we all started measuring from the last coupon

Who is "all"? Did you ask for a group of people who were willing to provide game feedback without biasing the responders by telling them exactly what questions were going to be asked or did you ask for coupon feedback, ensuring the same problem I mentioned before where most people would be in the complaint group skewing data? Where is this mythical data?

Don't bother answering because I highly doubt it exists.

Edited by Hobie-wan
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hobie-wan said:

Ah yes, clearly you do have the data. That's why you presented it here in support of your argument instead of throwing out a randomly nice round "sounds good" number like 1000.

Who is "all"? Did you ask for a group of people who were willing to provide game feedback without biasing the responders by telling them exactly what questions were going to be asked or did you ask for coupon feedback, ensuring the same problem I mentioned before where most people would be in the complaint group skewing data? Where is this mythical data?

Don't bother answering because I highly doubt it exists.

Ever hear of a ballpark number? the exact number is 1126, split into groups depending on situation before the start of the study, which would measure login days between coupons of whatever kind. So Group one bought a prime access before, Group 2 bought plat without coupon, group 3 bought plat with coupon before (not on the coupon the study starts with) and then there is the true f2p players in group 4. 4 groups who all started measuring when they received a coupon that is who "all" is, a clear starting point where everyone was tasked with declaring when they hit their next coupon, the coupon after that and so on, the experiment has been going since 2017, with participants joining over the years as to check for variations over the years.

Yet still looking at the data, for every single unique year we see that group 2 consistently gets coupons faster, group 1 and 3 are on par and not far behind group 2 (1.13 times as long) and for group 4 it takes around 2x as long to see another coupon as group 2. All groups are of comparable sizes at between 230-290 members each. Starting, participants are asked for a screenshot with metadata (time and date of screenshot enabled), at the end they are asked for the same thing, if possible even with the same warframe and fashion. All to ensure truthfulness, logged entries that are questionable are not included in the date that gets analysed and interpreted.

Stop your own confirmation bias, you know well enough that by "all" i meant every single participant.

4 hours ago, 3xt1inct said:

Ever hear of a ballpark number? the exact number is 1126, split into groups depending on situation before the start of the study, which would measure login days between coupons of whatever kind. So Group one bought a prime access before, Group 2 bought plat without coupon, group 3 bought plat with coupon before (not on the coupon the study starts with) and then there is the true f2p players in group 4. 4 groups who all started measuring when they received a coupon that is who "all" is, a clear starting point where everyone was tasked with declaring when they hit their next coupon, the coupon after that and so on, the experiment has been going since 2017, with participants joining over the years as to check for variations over the years.

Yet still looking at the data, for every single unique year we see that group 2 consistently gets coupons faster, group 1 and 3 are on par and not far behind group 2 (1.13 times as long) and for group 4 it takes around 2x as long to see another coupon as group 2. All groups are of comparable sizes at between 230-290 members each. Starting, participants are asked for a screenshot with metadata (time and date of screenshot enabled), at the end they are asked for the same thing, if possible even with the same warframe and fashion. All to ensure truthfulness, logged entries that are questionable are not included in the date that gets analysed and interpreted.

Stop your own confirmation bias, you know well enough that by "all" i meant every single participant.

As someone who has never bought plat, i get multiple coupons a month usually. On average, I'd get one 75 off every 8 weeks or so. 

A small sample size of people with confirmation bias isn't gonna help anyone make a point. 

This isn't even what my post is about. 

3 hours ago, (PSN)Rainbow_Neos1 said:

As someone who has never bought plat, i get multiple coupons a month usually. On average, I'd get one 75 off every 8 weeks or so. 

A small sample size of people with confirmation bias isn't gonna help anyone make a point. 

This isn't even what my post is about. 

NO confirmation bias, it is an experiment where we (organisers) took measures so that there would be nothing skewing the data/ interpretation. Also no it does not repsond to your inquiry, true, but it is a situation where an unhumourisctic stiff person, did not see my joke, then started to rant about things he does not know S#&$ about. The experiment is real, the data is real and we ask people to send in screenshots of the coupons, without them knowing we are measuring intervals. So there goes your confirmation bias. 

I feel obliged to tell you, i'll be sending in my own screenshot today, as after 137 days without coupon, i hit a 50% off one.

This is probably stupid but since cross save is a thing and I've heard the merged account needs to be a PC one, has anyone on console tried to buy platinum directly from the Warframe website when they got a coupon instead of going through the "in console" store? If my theory is right you should be able to get the same amount of plat/$ of PC but on console

2 hours ago, TenZero said:

This is probably stupid but since cross save is a thing and I've heard the merged account needs to be a PC one, has anyone on console tried to buy platinum directly from the Warframe website when they got a coupon instead of going through the "in console" store? If my theory is right you should be able to get the same amount of plat/$ of PC but on console

The log screen gives you two selections. Accept, or accept and use. One leaves you in the orbiter, the other takes you to the market. Your theory is invalid. Consoles do not get the same benefits as PC.

6 hours ago, 3xt1inct said:

The experiment is real

How do you account for potential members of the group potentially not being as diligent with record keeping offers? Are all their daily logins recorded for record keeping?

Just a curiosity. Thanks. 

Oh and OP yeah... I tend to agree. I was never a huge fan of the of the old console discount coupon types, but I also knew we weren't going to ever get the same deal as PVC players anyway, and preferred the old way to the new type.