The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Too emotional and too silly

2 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

to be fair, warframe is in the looter shooter category: for the most part, people are here to grind for shiny new things and watch their damage numbers go up. anything else really is just a bonus.

If I wanted to see my thing getting bigger I would play different game. Yes, getting new shiny thing is important but those should be DIFFERENT.

2 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

I'm also concerned since fighting an eldritch cosmic entity like wally and travelling through time is about the peak of how crazy you can really get in the grand scheme of things; it's not really possible to top that, so I'm not sure what else DE could really do, other than basically experiment with wacky ideas just because they can.

Your peak is my bottom. They can do much more. Imagination is the limit.

Ah yes, old Warframe definitely has nothing to do with silly things like this.

I mean it's not like the Second Dream is about the power of showing one's vulnerable inner self, and representative of first growing up and becoming aware as a person, confronting the big, scary evils of the world.

And the War Within definitely wasn't about exploring trauma to grow into a more mature person, less controlled by your own emotions, by putting yourself in touch with your past self.

And The Sacrifice wasn't about a person with trauma reaching out to another who suffered unimaginable loss, reaching them, touching and empathising with them, not erasing their tragedy, but offering them coping strategies to help them move forwards.

And the final boss of that story arc wasn't effectively just every abuser rolled into one developing the power to mass gaslight everyone in the world until they were nothing but people who endlessly feed his ego having a hissy fit because two people dared not to do so.

4 hours ago, GovernmentSecrets.gov said:

I really miss the focus on the galactic war between the Corpus and Grineer and whoever else that was unfortunate enough to get caught between it. There's still stories that can be developed and loose plot threads to work with like how the Grineer are going to retaliate for the death of one of the Twin Queens. It's kind of frustrating that we keep getting narratives that keep leaning as far as they can away from everything that made Warframe's world interesting.

It's true, yes, there's more stories that could be told. But also, at some point, the difference between those stories becomes less meaningful, and expanding what the setting means makes more new stories.

Like yeah, what would the Grineer have done to retaliate for one of the Twin Queens? Raise an enormous fleet of killer warships and launch a huge, co-ordinated attack on the Tenno? Maybe - but Eyes of Blight was already told. I'm sure it could be one-upped, made even more dramatic - but that has a limited shelf-life. See also: how tired people are of planet-killing super weapons in Star Wars.

And it's not like stories focusing on those factions and themes aren't getting told. Kahl's story explores a Grineer's life having broken away from that system (even if not in a very deep way - the struggles of a side-character). Parvos's story once again dives into a small-minded, greedy man tangling with powers outside his ken - but this time, instead of a slimy, pathetic worm, he's a charismatic, smooth-talking cult leader who offers great treasures and leaves only dust and tears, truly unaware that he is the one dangling on the string. 

11 hours ago, voidctrl said:

Jade Shadows' ending was just dripping with melodrama, they even bent over backwards to squeeze emotions into the Stalker

To be fair, that quest was kind of a nothing quest. It didn't go anywhere, not did it provide any meaningful more. It more forced stalker to be an easy sympathy card

11 hours ago, voidctrl said:

Edited by THE_HUNTER96929
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, _Anise_ said:

Sorry this isn't the freshest in my mind but I recall emotional things packed into the early stories, one particularly memorable scene is lotus carrying the operator? doing the trails up in the mountains, none of that really vibes the typical tactical game in my mind?

That's not the early game. The early game the OP is talking about is before the Quest system was added.

I disagree with the OP that the early game was tactical. It was inspired by tactical games, but the gameplay itself wasn't tactical. The design of enemy behavior, the weapon system in the game, the movement and animations, none of it was tactical. Modern COD is more tactical than Warframe. I wish WF had some of the features that COD has. Maybe then we could play the game in a more tactical manner if we choose.

Edited by OniDax

But seriously, you just have the wrong division of the game into old and new.

The Second Dream (and its preparatory quests) changed Warframe forever. It was from that point on that the story stopped being about one of the tenno and became a story about the Chosen Tenno. It was from this point that the focus on emotions began.

I would say the peak of the old warframe was Gradivus' Dilemma and its aftermath. Players got a sense of historical choice, a story about a direct clash between the Grineer and the Corpus. Which then spilled out into a story of a struggle between the top leadership of the Corpus.  

• Like 1

Less of that and more

RAP TAP TAP

atmosphere

would be perfect.

P.S.: I know in that specific quest there is a lot of talk about "emotions", but that is not really the best part of it.

Edited by Valfar_de
  • Like 1

I agree. There is room for sentimentality when it is called for: The Sacrifice was a high point for me where the intensity in the final scene hit home. It was in scope with the acts of the narrative. Frankly, the Sacrifice does not need to be out done, and it has not happened since.

I have noticed an influx of melodrama creeping in. Think DE might want to dial it down a bit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PrideB4TheFall said:

I agree. There is room for sentimentality when it is called for: The Sacrifice was a high point for me where the intensity in the final scene hit home. It was in scope with the acts of the narrative. Frankly, the Sacrifice does not need to be out done, and it has not happened since.

I have noticed an influx of melodrama creeping in. Think DE might want to dial it down a bit. 

They just bragged about reading hundreds of romance novels for WF1999. I like how the team is more organized under Reb (no major delays), but I wish someone else who was more of a fan of first and third person shooters would take creative control.

I don't know man, I like Warframe because I can implant any emotion I want into it and come out satisfied. I can see the point where recent quests have their emotional charged be much more explicit than older ones. Its not the same to play Gara's first quest and only listen to how she saved everyone than to watch Stalker walk with a Babyframe in his arms in a cinematic. I personally believe warframe was always melodramatic and silly, it has that space opera vibe for me.

I do agree that DE should put more variety to their work. I like cinematic quests as much as anyone else, but a puzzle quest like Inaros with hopeful undertones and heroism wouldn't ruin the game.