The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe augments should have their own mod slot

TenZero

I'm not the first to ask for this and I probably won't be the last, but bringing it up every once in while can't hurt.

I understand that reworks aren't easy nor cheap to make and that's where augment mods come in clutch as a band-aid solution. Things like Cathode Current for Gyre and Shadow Haze/Dark Propagation for Sevagoth completely changed how I viewed those frames and now I thoroughly enjoy playing them; but being forced to give up a mod slot just to get a frame working limits the buildcrafting potential, so the "easy" solution is to give warframes an additional mod slot just for augments. This would make players more accepting of fixes through augments and let them buildcraft more freely while giving them an extra slot to sink forma into, so I see it as a win win situation.

• Like 1

I will quote Pablo, on his Twitter account, on October 9th, 2023.

In response to the tweet from one @jarrelritchey on Twitter, who asked the following:

@PabloMakes

Sir Pablo, I humbly request a new mod slot dedicated to augment mods on warframe. Creating a new forma to unlock said slot would give us hardcore players the ability to have more mod slots to play with while not taking anything away from anyone.

To which Pablo responded with one word:

Denied!

Here is the link: https://twitter.com/PabloMakes/status/1711179668450099283

DE are on record multiple times saying that they do not intend to ever put a dedicated slot for an Augment.

The basic logic is as follows: If it's powerful enough to change how the frame plays, it's worth giving up a regular mod slot as a form of power balance. If it's not powerful enough to be worth a mod slot, then the lack of use will see it reworked in the future.

This is not my words. This is DE's official response.

Thank you.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

The basic logic is as follows: If it's powerful enough to change how the frame plays, it's worth giving up a regular mod slot as a form of power balance. If it's not powerful enough to be worth a mod slot, then the lack of use will see it reworked in the future.

Thank you.

I didn't know DE already made statements about this issue, thank you for bringing it to my attention

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (XBOX)elementXGHILLIE said:

No, augments are different ways to play frames. 

If by "different way to play" you mean "straight buffs to underpowered or mediocre frames", then that's about what 2/3rds of the augments are, are just balance change bandaids that frustratingly take up mod space instead of just being made part of the base frame.

Forget a slot. Just buff the frame.

• Like 1

We already have so many "effective" mod slots through various means. An augment slot would be nothing more than lazy powercreep. Most players would just be using the new unfilled slot with another Power Strength/Duration Mod. Maybe 1% of players would use it for actual build depth/diversity/niche setups.

No thanks. This is such a boring piece of feedback that is repeated often because it's universal powercreep for the player with no downside.

The thing is, 'Frames that have questionable abilities hardly ever see significant adjustments outside of reworks, and augment mods fix those abilities, I don't recall a time where those mods were ever outright incorporated into a reworked ability.

I genuinely despise the modding limitations of 'Frames as a whole, so their continued refusal to add augment slots for weapons & 'Frames is like a slap in the face. The Plexus is so much better. Even if it works with a limited variety of mods, the additional sub-categories acting as their own thing are splendid additions.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Liberator_Numen said:

The thing is, 'Frames that have questionable abilities hardly ever see significant adjustments outside of reworks, and augment mods fix those abilities, I don't recall a time where those mods were ever outright incorporated into a reworked ability.

I genuinely despise the modding limitations of 'Frames as a whole, so their continued refusal to add augment slots for weapons & 'Frames is like a slap in the face. The Plexus is so much better. Even if it works with a limited variety of mods, the additional sub-categories acting as their own thing are splendid additions.

the plexus sub categories are cool because they don't require forma and you can just switch them out whenever

if an augment slot worked the same way i would be for it

В 20.09.2024 в 22:54, Birdframe_Prime сказал:

DE have also said that the disposition of riven mods is a balancing characteristic, but they no longer reduce it even if the weapon becomes much stronger or more popular like getting an incarnon adapter.
They also said that they would not make an exilus slot for weapons, because all sorts of -recoil mods, ammo mutation mods, etc. improve the gun as well as mods that improve our damage. Then they said that the exilus slot would not affect characteristics such as damage, crit, etc., but then they added this.
If they said something, it doesn’t mean at all that it will or will not happen, especially if the players ask for it, and there are a lot of requests for warframe augment slots.

51 minutes ago, DeVaren said:

DE have also said that the disposition of riven mods is a balancing characteristic, but they no longer reduce it even if the weapon becomes much stronger or more popular like getting an incarnon adapter.

Riven disposition is based on both the overall power and also the popularity of the weapon. A weapon can be incredibly powerful, have a powerful Riven disposition and stay that way because it is niche and barely played at all. The riven disposition of weapons that have an incarnon adapter has gone down, as long as the popularity of the weapon has gone up. Since Incarnon Adapters are locked behind a lot of progression through the game, the weapons have not actually gained a lot of popularity, just among the people that can get Incarnon Adapters. On top of that, Riven disposition shifts do not go down by more than half a point ever, now, while they can go up as much as two points at a time, depending on the player usage. 

Usage is measured over the three months between Prime releases, and so a bump in usage from an Adapter can settle out before it would need to be adjusted for balance.

Thus, the weapons that do have Incarnon Adapters still haven't changed all that much.

55 minutes ago, DeVaren said:

They also said that they would not make an exilus slot for weapons, because all sorts of -recoil mods, ammo mutation mods, etc. improve the gun as well as mods that improve our damage.

I went back to check the release of the Exilus slots for Warframes and any tweets I could find about Exilus slots for weapons. What DE said was 'We're not looking into that at the moment. You never know, we don't typically discard things, but it's not planned right now.'

Which is their usual response because it allows for the possibility.

There are only a few things that they've straight up said 'No' to, and those have stayed consistent since they said that. Examples include Excal Prime, that they would not revert to Cooldowns for every Warframe ability, installing an in-game market that would allow for AFK trading, and so far the Augment slot.

59 minutes ago, DeVaren said:

If they said something, it doesn’t mean at all that it will or will not happen

My friend, I've been here for 10 years, and seen every time when DE has seemed unlikely to make a change and then made it anyway.

There's a really solid tell to when they can do something in the future and when they can't.

The clue to when they are able to do something and it's just unlikely, which is they say that they haven't 'tabled it for discussion' or that they 'haven't got plans for it'. Those kind of phrases are typically taken by the usual Forum dwellers as gospel and every time the views change, that gospel is 'proven wrong'. Which is why I never take those phrases to mean 'no' or 'never'. 

The clue for when they're not going to do something is that they come back and say the same thing again over several years, and do the opposite or make a change that is designed to counter some of the arguments in favour of doing that thing.

So when they make the statements of 'No, we're not doing that.' in a DevStream then at a TennoCon Q&A session, then on a DevStream again, then after Warframe changes Creative Director to Rebecca from Steve and Rebecca's new top staff repeats that same 'No.' again as recently as last October... That's when you start believing them. When the answers on those DevStreams are clearly cut, with them explaining that they want Augments to be things you sacrifice a Mod Slot to have, even if the particular Augment isn't considered all that powerful, then you know exactly why they aren't doing it.

When the introduction of the Archon Shard system was stated as being (partly and in passing) a way for players to make up some of the stats they might lose for slotting an Augment (which is one of the whole things of 'build flexibility' that players keep talking about as a reason for a Slot), that's a change to prevent themselves from having to put in an Augment Slot.

After having had Exilus Adapters for Warframes since July 31st 2015 (that's a whole whopping nine years) and players saying 'Oh, yeah, we should now have a slot for the Augments too' since that time, and the answer being consistently and repeatedly 'no' rather than 'we're not planning on it', you start to see that DE aren't interested in that.

Do you see the difference?

Besides.

This is something I say to everyone that brings this ridiculous argument of 'They could still change it.' to the table:

They could. The important thing I'm doing is reporting on why they don't, and don't want to, to temper the inevitable ridiculous arguments about whether they should or shouldn't.