Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are We Ever Going To Get Unique Weaponry?

Luminati07

Nug, I'm impressed by how many long threads you're capable of writing each day :P

After a little bit of thought, I'd have to agree that too many weapons feel the same. All that differs is how well it kills the target. It always feels the same. More unique mechanisms would surely be a good addition to breath new life into a game which mechanics are turning into a huge ball of repetitiveness.

Lookin' forward to this! Good luck, my man!

Heh, I've bitten off more than I can chew here.

I've been at it for a few hours non-stop, and I've done a third of part one...

Time to bust this out as fast as I can.

*Edit*

Done the 'primaries section', on to secondaries.....

This is going to take bloody forever, lol.

Especially the melee section. There's like 20 million longswords.

*Edit 2*

Not gonna be done tonight, sadly.

It's 3:30am, and I'm extremely tired.

I can't think at the moment, so I can't finish the thread.

I'll have to finish it off tomorrow...

Edited by Nugget_

Heh, I've bitten off more than I can chew here.

I've been at it for a few hours non-stop, and I've done a third of part one...

Time to bust this out as fast as I can.

*Edit*

Done the 'primaries section', on to secondaries.....

This is going to take bloody forever, lol.

Especially the melee section. There's like 20 million longswords.

*Edit 2*

Not gonna be done tonight, sadly.

It's 3:30am, and I'm extremely tired.

I can't think at the moment, so I can't finish the thread.

I'll have to finish it off tomorrow...

Take your time and put your thoughts down.  Either DE heard you or your tapping a similar vein, it seems the are adding secondary fire modes.  That could really spice it up.  Or it might fall flat. 

/votes for a slower rotation accurate alt fire for the gorgon...

Compared to the other weapons in the arsena, it is most certainly unique. (Weak, but still unique. The weapon re-balance in 11.5 may be nice here.)

Its just another weapon with charge attack. It has different animations thats all.

Someone needs to get a handle on Warframe's identity crisis. It doesn't really know what it wants to be. It's trying to be Counterland 2 go. It just doesn't work. 

We have so many different weapons, but not a lot of functional variety with them. Because they can't be different, because we have warframe powers to be our uniquely functioning tools. And because we only have 4 to a frame, and 15 frames in total, with a lot of them sharing very similar powers just with a little tweaking, the actual creative diversity is sorely lacking.

And at the most simplest of ratios a warframe with 4 unique mechanics will take at the best 4x as long to create as a gun with a single unique mechanic. So not only can there not be more creative variety to our weapons, but where the creative functions are going is extremely limited, and will expand slower. 

We can't have grenades because of warframe powers. And yet, most warframes a) Don't have a cheap and spammable radial AoE. and b) Don't have an ability they can lob out into targets. But because some frame, might, get that ability, some day. No frame can have it as a weapon. Thank goodness no frame is designed to shoot a hail of low damage hitscan projectiles, that add up to be a large punch, or else we wouldn't have shotguns. 

This^. I still don't see the reason to completely withhold grenades.

This^. I still don't see the reason to completely withhold grenades.

Actually scott said ninjas cant have granades except for smokebombs. He said granades are not for ninjas and since vauban has a granade looking thing (LOLLOLOL) we cant have it . "Since its not ninja like"

But hey who needs a ninja granade. We have Ninja rocketlauncher. Its so ninja like.

um... Vectis is basically a bolt action sniper... (no other sniper with a similar mechanic)

Tigris is a Double Barrel Shotgun... (no other shotgun in the game like it)

Soma is kinda like a Gorgon and a Grakarta cept... good (though I like the gorgon so its really just a good Grakarta =P)

Ballistica IS a crossbow, no weapon remotely similar unless you want to be all technical and the bow is a similar mechanic.

Magnus is more of a revolver than the Vasto's... probably because of its reload animation... it just feels right. 

DE is making new weapons and in my opinion they are doing a pretty good job at balancing the type of weapons we all know and occasionally throwing the more outlandish ones in every once in a while (glave, scythes, throwing knives and the like) 

while some games make guns to weird things (I think Loadout is a good example of that) I dont believe Warframe is about things like that. the uniqueness will mainly come from the Warframes themselves. the weapons WILL have verity but they will still be along the lines of "point it at something and that something will die" notion. the whole wacky different stuff will be from the warframes.

theres nothing wrong with that if you ask me. you want a game where guns do weird stuff? play something else.  

um... Vectis is basically a bolt action sniper... (no other sniper with a similar mechanic)

Soma is kinda like a Gorgon and a Grakarta cept... good (though I like the gorgon so its really just a good Grakarta =P)

Ballistica IS a crossbow, no weapon remotely similar unless you want to be all technical and the bow is a similar mechanic.

Magnus is more of a revolver than the Vasto's... probably because of its reload animation... it just feels right. 

Most of those weapons are the exact same with slight trigger changes and stat differences. If you remove the stats, the only difference is burst fire, full auto, charge, or semi auto. Tigris is the most "unique" shotgun, as in there is nothing with as odd of a trigger like it (it both is and isn't a burst fire, it fires both shots rapidly unless you hold the trigger down)

Also sobek is a double barrel shottie too, boar prime is a triple barrel, hek is a quad barrel.

You picked the weapons with more unique firing mechanics. And then didn't elaborate on their firing mechanics as what makes them different, but their design. Design only goes so far, and when you have over a 100 with most of them being very similar to each other, not very far at all. 

while some games make guns to weird things (I think Loadout is a good example of that) I dont believe Warframe is about things like that. the uniqueness will mainly come from the Warframes themselves. the weapons WILL have verity but they will still be along the lines of "point it at something and that something will die" notion. the whole wacky different stuff will be from the warframes.

theres nothing wrong with that if you ask me. you want a game where guns do weird stuff? play something else.  

Just because a warframe may or can have an ability like what a weapon does, does not mean we should limit what our guns can do. 

Games with large arsenals, tend to have variety in weapon functions. 

Games with smaller arsenals, tend not to. Their variety is between going with the rifle, or the shotgun, not the fifteen different rifles or the fifteen different shotguns.

Warframe has taken the worst parts of both approaches. It needs more creativity to be put into the weapons, because the other option is to remove weapons from the arsenal and that'll just be a waste of time for everyone.    

The fact that it's a bolt action sniper rifle means nothing.

It's just a normal sniper rifle with a 1 round magazine. 

That's not unique at all

Again, the fact that it's a double barreled shotgun means nothing.

If DE releases a 20 barrel shotgun that functions almost exactly the same as every other shotgun, is that a 'unique' gun? Not at all.

I hope you're not trying to say that the Soma is unique with this sentence..

Again, I hope you're not trying to say the Magnus is unique with this sentence..

DE is making new weapons and in my opinion they are doing a pretty good job at balancing the type of weapons we all know and occasionally throwing the more outlandish ones in every once in a while (glave, scythes, throwing knives and the like) 

Jeez, if you think that scythes and throwing knives are 'outlandish', I can't believe you've played some of the oldschool games that had genuinely interesting guns.

How are the scythes unique? They're the same as every other melee weapon. Spam E or hold E.

Throwing knives, while welcome, are not truly unique at all.

I'll give them the Glaive.

...No... just... no... Tenno's do powers and abilities, as weapons are just there for tools, that is it. You are forgetting that the Warframe is a weapon, we dont need any powerful weapons, or trinkets to perform skills, just the warframe.

why is this a bad idea?

- complexity

- too many weapons with too many different skills, or unique skill sets.

- Simplicity is the way to be, Period.

...No... just... no... Tenno's do powers and abilities, as weapons are just there for tools, that is it. You are forgetting that the Warframe is a weapon, we dont need any powerful weapons, or trinkets to perform skills, just the warframe.

why is this a bad idea?

- complexity

- too many weapons with too many different skills, or unique skill sets.

- Simplicity is the way to be, Period.

You are forgetting one thing — these dumb clumsy "It's a magic, I don't have to explain" tin cans are tools, too.

You are forgetting one thing — these dumb clumsy "It's a magic, I don't have to explain" tin cans are tools, too.

Ofcorse they are, but why make it more complicated by adding more abilities with weapons? I see no real benifit to this unless this game was based like a RTS or set up like WoW.

Yeh warframes maybe Tools, but having handheld weapons have their own abilities? No thank you, especially if mobs get thoes abilities off the same weapons, and I dont want to talk about the stalker hes powerful enough.

Edited by GhostUnitVII

Ofcorse they are, but why make it more complicated by adding more abilities with weapons? I see no real benifit to this unless this game was based like a RTS or set up like WoW.

Yeh warframes maybe Tools, but having handheld weapons have their own abilities? No thank you, especially if mobs get thoes abilities off the same weapons, and I dont want to talk about the stalker hes powerful enough.

It's not making this 'complicated', it's making things enjoyable.

Just because we have powers on Warframes, doesn't mean that the main part of the game (gunplay) has to be dull as hell.

Remember, we have over 100 weapons in the game. Something like...6 of those are unique.

Warframe, at its core, is a third-person shooter. Without enjoyable shooting mechanics, then what is it?

Most weapons in Warframe are unique.  The stat variances are what make them unique.  You might disagree, but this isn't Resistance or Ratchet and Clank, and even many of the weapons in those games were "stat variances" with a unique secondary functions to differentiate the weapons.

A Braton MK.I handles similarly, but performs very differently from a Braton.  Despite some the statistical similarities between the Braton and the Boltor, they both handle and perform differently.  The soma however does act like a souped up Braton merely requiring crit mods to function well, that's a valid complaint about variety.  A hind is definitely handled differently from a soma or braton however, and a latron even more so.  However, like the braton/soma relationship, the burston is a crappier version of the hind.

No, none of them fire a sharknado.  Though that might be cool, it could be unreliable and impractical.  I guarantee you a "utility" weapon would hit the back burner faster than the Braton MK.I, else people would be using more utility mods, not every elemental, serration, split chamber, and crit mods.  If it doesn't kill efficiently, it's not going to perform well in the tougher content.  

If anything, DE could incorporate some mod functions or new functions into existing weapons to further differentiate them, like punch through on bolt weapons or weapons with high puncture damage and especially secondary fire modes, like UBGLs for the Bratons and the Grakata to keep them competitive with the Soma and give the grineer an extra element of lethality.  The over abundance of weapons isn't a crime against originality, it's a play towards tastes, and admittedly, the almighty dollar.  Just don't expect a weapon that fires a sharknado.

Edited by Littleman88