Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Brakk Nerf Megathread - Post Your Thoughts!

Kato-san

So the issue isn't the Brakk at all since it was just above average, but how Damage 2.0 made some weapons much weaker (bolto/boltor nor longer constant staggering to compensate for low base damage/slow projectile travel time that only works at short-to-mid range) while others were unintentionally beefed up to the point that if it were the Olympics, people would be citing Steroid abuse?

Then DE has shown that Damage 2.0 has failed miserably. Instead of properly balancing/tweaking the weapon to be just above average as it was before, they go into full on nerf mode. Yes, 10-20 meters is painfully short. Someone in a Brakk-related thread showed how, using Grineer Mobile Defense terminals, they could only deal full damage when the enemy was about the distance of one terminal away (length-wise) and at two terminal-lengths away, it was minimal damage.

edit: To further clarify, look at the Torid. Prior to Damage 2.0, there was a good chunk of damage in the initial hit, but the poison cloud could proc elements, perfect for slowing enemies with cold to keep them in the cloud longer. Now, only the initial 'slug' can proc elements, the toxic cloud cannot proc elements and that just kills it's damage potential. Yes Damag 2.0 is a work in progress but here we are, a couple weeks or more into Damage 2.0 and I have yet to see DE even acknowledge that a Clan Tech weapon has been screwed by their touted 'new meta' (just status chance now, replacing the old crit chance crown-bearers). They just keep trading one problem for another, it's mind-boggling, I know they can do better than this, we all do.

Damage 2.0 is here to stay, and is amazing. Just because you don't see the effects of it does not mean it is bad. 

Also, brakk was more than above average. It was the end-all weapon... better in every category in a general scope than every other weapon. Now it is an above average weapon - average weapon.

I also agree the falloff was a bit much.

Hek and Brakk should have a range of 25 before falloff.

My opinion though.

My opinion though.

I think the issue with falloff is more how fast the damage falloffs. 

I've heard some report saying that it's over 10 metres for every shotgun, not just the Brakk, from the start of falloff to the minimum damage point. 

Minimum being about 8% of total damage. 

Or about 9.2% per meter.

I'll leave it up to what people think about this but I find this to be excessively harsh falloff both logically and from a gameplay standpoint. 

Falloff needs to be a more complex mechanic than it is right now.  

Damage 2.0 is here to stay, and is amazing. Just because you don't see the effects of it does not mean it is bad. 

Also, brakk was more than above average. It was the end-all weapon... better in every category in a general scope than every other weapon. Now it is an above average weapon - average weapon.

My opinion though.

25 is still too short. It's barely the length of two and a half mobile defense terminals. Do you see the choke on the Hek? That is supposed to make it a long-range shotgun, not mid-range like the description says. Hell, any shotgun that's not a sawed-off double barrel shotgun is mid-range. Damage 2.0 is here to stay but it's not awesome. People keep telling me to use corrosive weapons but one of the poison weapon mods only drops off an Electric Crawler, the rarest enemy in the entire time, I have no desire to farm high level Infested in the hopes of an Electric Crawler spawning for the hopes of that poison damage mod to drop.

I put a goddamn potato in the Torid, a weapon that was never really OP, especially compared to the Ogris, and now that Clan Tech weapon, which uses Mutagen Masses to craft, one of the rarest material drops due to the dere-lag void's introduction. The Torid is useless, just ask anyone who uses it. Enemies just run through the cloud and take next to no damage from the DoT. Even the Ignis starts to fall behind a good shotgun against the Infested in the higher levels because they end up with so much hp that it just takes too long to kill them. All Damage 2.0 did was force a new, complicated (not in a good way either) meta on everyone, and then there's the elemental hierarchy system that screwed over a lot of people who heavily invested Formas into their weapons of choice. It doesn't add diversity, it just adds dilution, removes some nice gimmicks some weapons had, and ends up making the game even more bland. Oh, I can use the Brakk at 10-20 meters, but that range is so short I may as well take one step forward and use my Galatine's charge attack with reach and take 5 enemies out in one-to-two charge attacks, something I can personally attest to.

snip

I happen to love damage 2.0, but trust me... you will get used to it.

The forma thing is an issue, so I think that DE for one time should let people move their polarizations around.

The torid statement seems out of place but... okay I guess? It is MR4 after all.

But the falloff that I presenting has a hard cap that STARTS at a given value, not is at its minimum there. It really shouldn't be to difficult to implement.

My reaction: HELL YES!

Now people might actually use other sidearms if they have the Brakk.

I still think it needs to be brought lower, honestly.  It was the king sidearm by a huge margin.

Yes, because having to grind one hundred missions for a special toy should be wasted time.

Just because you don't have it, shouldn't be an excuse to scream nerf.  Read the top thread title.  Don't Nerf Thread It If You Don't Own It.

Amazingly bloated and complex, that's what makes it bad.  Do I want to go back to 1.0?  No.  That had it's own issues.  But 2.0 didn't fix it, it brought its own.

Yes, because having to grind one hundred missions for a special toy should be wasted time.

Just because you don't have it, shouldn't be an excuse to scream nerf.  Read the top thread title.  Don't Nerf Thread It If You Don't Own It.

Yet that's exactly what happened with the Brakk.

I happen to love damage 2.0, but trust me... you will get used to it.

The forma thing is an issue, so I think that DE for one time should let people move their polarizations around.

The torid statement seems out of place but... okay I guess? It is MR4 after all.

But the falloff that I presenting has a hard cap that STARTS at a given value, not is at its minimum there. It really shouldn't be to difficult to implement.

Too bad Damage 2.0 was replaced by Damage 2.1 and then that was hastily replaced by Damage 2.2 where people are now pointing out armored units like Grineer now have crazy high health/armor and survivability. You know, like in Damage 1.0, the whole reason damage 2.0 was introduced.

In fact, all everyone ever asked for in regards to Damage 1.0 was for Effective Hit Points via crazy armor scaling on top of scaling health to be toned down a great deal. Disruptors would have effectively over a hundred thousand hit points back then if they reached a point. There were graphs and all, detailing the rate of increase in great detail.

So yeah, now it's like we're at Damage 1.0 again, only without effective ways to combat insanely high armor. It's like DE has no clue what they're trying to do, which frankly doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Why does everyone keep referring to this weapon as a shotgun? it isn't. It's a hand-cannon. It's pocket sized. It's meant for almost-literally point blank range. You're lucky it does anything past 10 meters. As it stands this gun isn't even nerfed. 1 clip still kills level 80 heavy gunners.

So what if it was OP the way it was?  It was a reward item from the Gradivus event and required a lot of hard work to get it. It WAS fine the way it was and didnt need to be nerfed--if anything they should buff the other weapons up stronger. More ideas like this one to nerf the BRAKK will soon have me no longer playing and I'm thinking that many other people probably feel the same way.

"Oh nooooo, we gave them too good of a weapon!!! We better nerf it down." Seems to be the logic from DE.  So basically, DE giveth and taketh away. Thanks for the enormous let down.

BTW: The ones who dont care are the ones that dont have one.

First off lets be clear about something, according to the description in the update note for the Gradivus Dilemma the third tier reward if the Grineer win was to be a Semi-Automatic HAND-CANNON. Now the important two words here are HAND-CANNON. Cannons have neither fall-off or spread, they have range and blast radius,ironically like the Penta. So if this was a hand shotgun I'd have to agree with the fall-off being added and spread because that's how shotguns work the longer the shot the more spread, with the exception if your using slugs,if you have ever fired a shotgun you would know this. The thing is the Brakk is not, I repeat, is not a shotgun according to DE's own description. So in modifying the Brakk for fall-off and spread was an error by DE, you can't modify something if it doesn't have those characteristics in the first place. If in fact the Brakk is really a shotgun, then DE misrepresented itself for that event and those who spent so much time acquiring the Brakk and using forma on it with the supposed knowledge it was a HAND-CANNON should be greatly apologized to and maybe even compensated in someway. I did not forma my Brakk so I would not be one of those people, but I would not mind an apology if in fact they mis-labeled the weapon for the event. In all honesty if I had known it was a shotgun I might not have even bothered with the event. I appreciate that of this writing they increased the range, but there should be no fall off, because once again the Brakk is not a shotgun. 

First off lets be clear about something, according to the description in the update note for the Gradivus Dilemma the third tier reward if the Grineer win was to be a Semi-Automatic HAND-CANNON. Now the important two words here are HAND-CANNON. Cannons have neither fall-off or spread, they have range and blast radius,ironically like the Penta. So if this was a hand shotgun I'd have to agree with the fall-off being added and spread because that's how shotguns work the longer the shot the more spread, with the exception if your using slugs,if you have ever fired a shotgun you would know this. The thing is the Brakk is not, I repeat, is not a shotgun according to DE's own description. So in modifying the Brakk for fall-off and spread was an error by DE, you can't modify something if it doesn't have those characteristics in the first place. If in fact the Brakk is really a shotgun, then DE misrepresented itself for that event and those who spent so much time acquiring the Brakk and using forma on it with the supposed knowledge it was a HAND-CANNON should be greatly apologized to and maybe even compensated in someway. I did not forma my Brakk so I would not be one of those people, but I would not mind an apology if in fact they mis-labeled the weapon for the event. In all honesty if I had known it was a shotgun I might not have even bothered with the event. I appreciate that of this writing they increased the range, but there should be no fall off, because once again the Brakk is not a shotgun. 

As it stands, high level play is extremely ineffective currently. The enemies suck bullets like a bottomless pit. Elementals don't help much due to the fact that these elements are still affected by armor, thus making them still extremely ineffective at high levels. The enemies kill you much faster than you kill them. So what has DE done? They decided to nerf a majority of the original top tier weapons. Now, it seems to work better for low levels but during high level alert, players are forced through despair as they just cannot down a single enemy. Nerfing is not the answer. If anything, buffing most of the weapons would work better. However, a swarm of nerf yelling players would then appear. So in the end, I believe the best path for the game to take is to change the difficulty of high level mobs a bit more. They scale like mad atm, and that is simply bs.

Don't even talked about crap before you try to play a level 70 mission. They are broken.

I'm hopeful that DE will re-tier the mastery rank of weapons, connect it to conclave score / mission rank, and that none of the current gear winds up making the grade for high level / end game content. Not expecting it, but hopeful.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/9/93998/2430657-screen+shot+2013-02-12+at+7.02.57+pm.png

I want to see guns like this for high level play, not pumpkin pistols.

I'm hopeful that DE will re-tier the mastery rank of weapons, connect it to conclave score / mission rank, and that none of the current gear winds up making the grade for high level / end game content. Not expecting it, but hopeful.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/9/93998/2430657-screen+shot+2013-02-12+at+7.02.57+pm.png

I want to see guns like this for high level play, not pumpkin pistols.

knowing how much i like snipers and cannons, that thing, will make me die happy.

Just love how ppl who support the Brakk nerf thinks the "fall off" dmg system is realistc and etc,etc,so basicaly Tenno arms can propel some shurikens far away than a mini BFG  and still retaining enough energy to deal the same dmg as if in point blank diatance?¬¬,seens legit.

Trowing weapons have fall off and they also do much less damage than Brakk.But good point , in addition to more damage lets add Brakk more range than trowing weapons too !

You're a genius !

Trowing weapons have fall off and they also do much less damage than Brakk.But good point , in addition to more damage lets add Brakk more range than trowing weapons too !

You're a genius !

Just to point it out, no damage fallout on thrown weapons.

I still think it's better to have balanced damage again while dropping it to say 40/40/40 and no fallout/better range