Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Get What You Want

TheThreadWeaver

Here are some tricks to getting what you want out of a game, and talking to devs. I'm going to post a few secrets on how to get people to agree with your viewpoint.

1. Don't insult them.

I am honestly surprised that I have to say this. If something changes in a game, your first response should never be "Thanks for ruining the game." I can guarantee you that if I were the dev, I would never even read those posts. I would just skip them because they aren't offering any constructive feedback. Which brings us to the next point.

2. Offer Constructive Feedback.

By "constructive" I don't mean "Always agree with every change". What I mean is that you need to offer ways to change the status quo. Be proactive, and don't put it all on the devs to handle the heavy lifting. So instead of just saying:

"I hate ______"

Say:

"I dislike the changes made to / current state of  _______. I would like to see it changed in a different way. Here are some suggestions on how I would like to see that change implemented. They are..." etc. The people who supported the Brakk balancing made arguments like these. I should know, I was one of them. They were the arguments that shifted the scales.

And for now, here's the last point.

3. Keep your emotions in check.

Yes, this kind of overlaps with the first point. But it is so important that it needs to be stated again.

Listen. I know some of you spent a lot of effort with that weapon or frame. I know you forma'd it a lot. I know you feel cheated. But if you want to make your voice heard and enact any kind of change, you need to cut out the drama. You need to separate yourself from the emotional attachments and really look at what is going on. The Dev is not deliberately trying to sabotage you personally. They are not targeting the weapon or warframe just because it is your favorite. They are not being malicious. They are not trying to "kill" anything. They are just trying to give the players what they think the players want, based off of feedback and arguments.

And if people want the dev's to know what they want, then they have to calm down, cut the attitude out, and make good, solid arguments about why things should be the way they want. To recap, that means keeping cool, editing out the insults and sarcasm, and approaching this maturely. It's just that simple.

Edit: Adding a 4th point.

4. Be Nice.

Allow me to explain. Let us say that a person is arguing against you. Contrary to common belief, that person is not your enemy. Just because they disagree with your opinion does not mean they hate you. They just have, y'know, a different opinion.

Here's another little sub-point: If, during the course of a debate, someone says something you agree with, then let them know you agree with them. Even if it's the person who is arguing in opposition to you. There is no need to let hostility win the day. This is a great tactic for catching someone off guard, and it can really open a window through which you can remove the veil of hostility and express your point of view without any of the angst getting in the way. Exercising this point can really change the flow of any debate.

Edited by TheThreadWeaver

I always upvote reasonable things. I wish everyone could be more civil in their feedback. A lofty, nigh unattainable wish, but a wish nonetheless. 

I'm Letter13 and this is my favorite post on the citadel forums.

Edited by Letter13

I thought this was gonna be yet another thread of how DE only listens to the "nerf-sayers".

I was pleasantly surprised.

Indeed.

We need more posts like these.

This would be far more beneficial than, say, two hundred separate threads about the Brakk sucking at everything now, as an example.

Enjoy your well earned +1, OP.

Indeed.

We need more posts like these.

This would be far more beneficial than, say, two hundred separate threads about the Brakk sucking at everything now, as an example.

Enjoy your well earned +1, OP.

Hahah, thank you. It's just too bad that this thread will end up just getting scrolled off the page, likely by the 200 threads about Brakk :P

Well, as long as at least one person gets the message, I guess it'll have done its job.

I don't know, the most drastic changes have been brought about by the outrage of the entire forum, or several people screaming OP.

While I agree that the screams of the masses tend to draw attention to a possible problem, very rarely do they pinpoint an exact cause or an exact solution. It is like looking at a burning house; clearly there is a problem there, but one must generally approach it calmly and with a certain level of detachment if they ever want to come to the best possible solution.

Silly metaphors aside, I stand by my earlier assertions that although the need for change may be expressed by the loud, it will be the calm and composed individuals who manage to make the change happen.

I don't know, the most drastic changes have been brought about by the outrage of the entire forum, or several people screaming OP.

How nice of you to assume that the developers don't have any insight into their own freakin' game and brainlessly make changes to all willy-nilly based on popular opinion. Not like they actually investigate stuff on their own and did, in fact, came to a logical conclusion that the Brakk was overpowered.

Nope, despite being the developers of the game - who posses insight into the workings of the game that we players can only dream about - they go solely on what the "whiners on the forums" want.

Logic.

What i think its that most of these "EW DE YOU RUINED THE GAIME / i hate??? " comment are made by very young people....some by old players but those are actual feedbacks

this happens everytime we have a big update, 5 mins before the update everyone is crying and begging for it

and 20 mins after it the "young guys" start the hate threads, either because a nerf or a new weapon that was released its either OP or Fails at everything

or like Alad V

With the "OMG THIS BOSS IS WEAK, DE U SUKS" says the guy running OP weapons fully modded with carrier sentinel OP gun against a Low level boss.

But what can we do?

nothing, all the games will have those kind people

Edited by AngelGuardcc

How nice of you to assume that the developers don't have any insight into their own freakin' game and brainlessly make changes to all willy-nilly based on popular opinion. Not like they actually investigate stuff on their own

It was interesting then, it took them a humiliation during a livestream to fix the bug that caused warframes to be unable to use their powers and guns but made them invincible. It's interesting that they assured us time and time again drop tables were only diluted, until someone actually datamined and proved forma dropped at 0.67%.

They know perfectly well about their game. Its working as intended.

Good feedback! Sadly emotions sometimes get the best of us. Although sometimes that can be a good thing. It reminds you the passionate feels to why you dislike certain stuff. Though I agree you need to keep it under control when writing feedback/complaints.

We can't agree with everything but overall I believe that the Warframe devs do listen and have the best intentions for the community. They're the best I've experienced so far c:

It was interesting then, it took them a humiliation during a livestream to fix the bug that caused warframes to be unable to use their powers and guns but made them invincible. It's interesting that they assured us time and time again drop tables were only diluted, until someone actually datamined and proved forma dropped at 0.67%.

They know perfectly well about their game. Its working as intended.

I didn't say that they were perfect nor infallible. However, to imply that the Brakk fix was a result of users "demanding" the nerf somehow indirectly implies that the devs are incapable of making any informed decision on their own.

That is is, quite frankly, is utterly stupid. Users bring issues to the attention of the developers through feedback, but they are not involved in any sort of decision-making.

Edited by Brimir

I didn't say that they were perfect nor infallible. However, to imply that the Brakk fix was a result of users "demanding" the nerf somehow indirectly implies that the devs are incapable of making any informed decision on their own.

That is is, quite frankly, is utterly stupid. Users bring issues to the attention of the developers through feedback, but they are not involved in any sort of decision-making.

I don't understand why you think everything is about the brakk?? I'm talking about the long term track record.

But even if you want to talk about their "track record", said "track record" would indeed include the Brakk fix as well? Individual nerfs/buffs/fixes are what make up this "track record".

Sure, but you're referring to it, and it only.

Look at iron skin, no idea why it was changed (logically), aside from people crying nerf. Trinity still has the same effect, but for the entire party. Its instances like this that indicate logical arguments on the forums doesn't necessarily lead to the most prompt changes.