Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ign And Gamespot Reviews: Repetition, Grind, Over Priced Content

DeadlyPeanutt

I dont see how you could possibly know that information unless you check the steam graph on a daily basis for warframe, which I kinda doubt.

I'm basing my estimate on personal experience from other games, including this one.  Big updates hit games, people come back and check out the new content.  And generally spend more than a week or two in the game.

Look at the forums right now, there's a ton of activity in here.  Unfortunately right now a lot of it is negative, Brakk, Valkyr, Damage 2.0.  But people are playing.  The region and recruitment chat is still buzzing as well.

We check it on a weekly basis and discuss among our clan, however you can doubt it as much as you want. Call it a clan-wide hobby if you like.

We check it on a weekly basis and discuss among our clan, however you can doubt it as much as you want. Call it a clan-wide hobby if you like.

Thats an interesting hobby I must say, although im sure there are much worse hobbies out there :)

Props to you guys for checking up on it like that, but I still must say that I dont think you can really judge the health of a player base for a game based on a graph from Steam, its only looking at a select amount of the player base.  Its not taking into account people who dont use steam and now PS4 players

The criticisms they make are fair. While you can get the vast majority of the platinum stuff for free, when people walk through the door they see that one gun (of which they are expected to have many) costs $15 or more, and frames $30 or more. It doesn't matter that they can make them eventually, it makes a bad first impression. 

As for repetitive... Well yeah... It is. Extremely repetitive. It's crazy to me that people actually stand up and defend the grind. I've never seen that in a game before. Not people saying that getting to the 'end game' should take you a lot of time and effort (which is fair) but that running near identical missions over and over and over is a good thing. I don't know how to respond to that. 

The core mechanics of the game are fun. It is a decent game and I am going to keep playing it, although more casually than I did before. I'm at rank 8 and I can't see why I would bother trying to catch'em all. The experience of getting new things is a bad one. It always feels like it's setting you back, not taking you forward. Unless you know for sure what you are going to get from a new piece of kit at the end, there's no reason to just get stuff just to have it unless you have a mild form of OCD. 

The game does need more enemies, it does need more missions and it does need more tile sets. It also needs some kind of end game other than grinding levels on things. 

I think a lot of people on the inside of the game forget that there is no greater purpose to any of the stuff in the game at the moment. It's understandable. You make friends and you have a good time playing with them, and that's fine. But why are you playing Warframe with them, instead of anything else? 

Seriously... Why are we all still playing? What are we actually trying to achieve?

Like I say, I'm not even close to quitting, but it's really hard to find a reason to sink four or five hours a night into the game once you've gotten through the first few hurdles and have a good frame and good guns. 

Ah yes a steam graph, the ultimate tool in determining the health of a game.  You know regardless of what Gabe Newell and Valve will have you believe not everyone uses steam.  You can just download the game directly from this website and play it without using steam at all.  Crazy, right?

And for the record I actually do play the game through Steam

Except DE has stated that majority of their users use Steam. So it can give a pretty accurate image about the state of the game.

TL;DR

I put 15 minutes in this game and it forces me to buy stuff. I want equipment and items to require no effort to obtain.

I have no problem with that in other games even though every single game in existence is also repetitive.

Also, advertising because my opinion outweighs others.

PS: inform us of a game that changes it's core mechanics every day.

PSS: Read the thread "Stating opinion as fact", it'll open your eyes for a bit.

Edited by Kagumin

TL;DR

I put 15 minutes in this game and it forces me to buy stuff. I want equipment and items to require no effort to obtain.

I have no problem with that in other games even though every single game in existence is also repetitive.

Also, advertising because my opinion outweighs others.

PS: inform us of a game that changes it's core mechanics every day.

PSS: Read the thread "Stating opinion as fact", it'll open your eyes for a bit.

Umm, slots are mandatory. Slots are buy only. If you want to keep weapons/frames while getting new ones you are forced to buy slots unless you want to sell your stuff. 

And how are all games repetitive? You do samey stuff sure but most of the time there is either a lot of enemy variety or the locales are wildly different, in warframe you fight trough same looking corridors fighting reskins.

The criticisms they make are fair. While you can get the vast majority of the platinum stuff for free, when people walk through the door they see that one gun (of which they are expected to have many) costs $15 or more, and frames $30 or more. It doesn't matter that they can make them eventually, it makes a bad first impression. 

As for repetitive... Well yeah... It is. Extremely repetitive. It's crazy to me that people actually stand up and defend the grind. I've never seen that in a game before. Not people saying that getting to the 'end game' should take you a lot of time and effort (which is fair) but that running near identical missions over and over and over is a good thing. I don't know how to respond to that. 

The core mechanics of the game are fun. It is a decent game and I am going to keep playing it, although more casually than I did before. I'm at rank 8 and I can't see why I would bother trying to catch'em all. The experience of getting new things is a bad one. It always feels like it's setting you back, not taking you forward. Unless you know for sure what you are going to get from a new piece of kit at the end, there's no reason to just get stuff just to have it unless you have a mild form of OCD. 

The game does need more enemies, it does need more missions and it does need more tile sets. It also needs some kind of end game other than grinding levels on things. 

I think a lot of people on the inside of the game forget that there is no greater purpose to any of the stuff in the game at the moment. It's understandable. You make friends and you have a good time playing with them, and that's fine. But why are you playing Warframe with them, instead of anything else? 

Seriously... Why are we all still playing? What are we actually trying to achieve?

Like I say, I'm not even close to quitting, but it's really hard to find a reason to sink four or five hours a night into the game once you've gotten through the first few hurdles and have a good frame and good guns. 

I agree with all of this, but I gotta say, you could apply this statement to any online game.  I mean why keep playing call of duty why keep playing WoW, you play because of the community and because you enjoy the game and the game mechanics.

You yourself say you arent any where close to quitting.  I mean most online games are a gear grind anyway once you reach the level cap.  I mean look at end game raiding in any MMO, you're running the same dungeons week in and week out to collect those few pieces of gear you want to make your character stronger.  The same applies here, you run the maps over and over to level up your weapon or frame again so you can forma it and fit in that last mod for your build.  DE seems to be trying to combine elements from MMO's, action games, and first person shooters all into one game.  As with anything there are always growing pains

The next update is going to have some new tile sets, the jungle tile set sounds really cool.

Umm, slots are mandatory. Slots are buy only. If you want to keep weapons/frames while getting new ones you are forced to buy slots unless you want to sell your stuff. 

And how are all games repetitive? You do samey stuff sure but most of the time there is either a lot of enemy variety or the locales are wildly different, in warframe you fight trough same looking corridors fighting reskins.

Mandatory: required by law or rules; compulsory.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize the game wouldn't play unless I buy slots.

I don't even need to address the second point. You act as if every game you've ever played ends up being different the more you play it when you fail to realize you're doing the exact same thing.

Of course Warframe is repetitive, it's an RPG (to an extent). When has an RPG never been repetitive?

I'll agree that items in the shop are overpriced, but most of it is available if you don't mind working for it...and then waiting. The three day build time on Warframes is still ridiculous, but I suppose it could be worse.

The gameplay is fantastic, much better than Hawken's by my reckoning.

Mandatory: required by law or rules; compulsory.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize the game wouldn't play unless I buy slots.

I don't even need to address the second point. You act as if every game you've ever played ends up being different the more you play it when you fail to realize you're doing the exact same thing.

Of course Warframe is repetitive, it's an RPG (to an extent). When has an RPG never been repetitive?

Oh you're arguing semantics. You are required to buy slots if you want to keep all the items you worked for.

My point is, all games are repetitive but they manage to make it less boring. Be it trough different enemies or locations or even mission types.

And to me Warframe is less rpg and more tps. 

Ah yes a steam graph, the ultimate tool in determining the health of a game.  You know regardless of what Gabe Newell and Valve will have you believe not everyone uses steam.  You can just download the game directly from this website and play it without using steam at all.  Crazy, right?

And for the record I actually do play the game through Steam

I'm playing without Steam

495 hours. Count me in!

Oh you're arguing semantics. You are required to buy slots if you want to keep all the items you worked for.

My point is, all games are repetitive but they manage to make it less boring. Be it trough different enemies or locations or even mission types.

And to me Warframe is less rpg and more tps. 

Just sell your stuff then to make more room, that's how you manage your inventory in every MMO/RPG.

Seriously, you don't NEED to buy slots to keep playing. And even if you did, a 50$ purchase on this game would set you for at least 5 years. (Assuming you aren't an idiot with your money [How surprising, a skill that's useful in life can apply to this game too?!].)

I admit, the marketing team(?) has no idea how to price their items because half the time, the pricing doesn't even make sense.

And then the items that would help you greatly cost barely a fraction of what you get from the bundle packages.

Repetition is a terrible argument; provide constructive criticism to improve a game for other people, not push other games for your own agenda (like OP did)

What would lengthen the game's life? What would add variety? How much would it all cost? How long would it take? etc etc etc.

Warframe is nowhere near a perfect game, don't mistaken me for a hardheaded fanboy (I just got into this game 2 weeks ago and already buying Platinum), it's just far more enjoyable and rewarding compared to other games in the same genre (F2P).

Edited by Kagumin

I dont see how you could possibly know that information unless you check the steam graph on a daily basis for warframe, which I kinda doubt.

I'm basing my estimate on personal experience from other games, including this one.  Big updates hit games, people come back and check out the new content.  And generally spend more than a week or two in the game.

Look at the forums right now, there's a ton of activity in here.  Unfortunately right now a lot of it is negative, Brakk, Valkyr, Damage 2.0.  But people are playing.  The region and recruitment chat is still buzzing as well.

I visit the forums often, but that doesn't mean I keep playing. I just login for the daily rewards because I'm tired of grinding to grind to grind and don't want to put a forma in any weapon now because DE is following Wargaming (World of Tank deves) business practice of: release good weapon/frame either via plat/grind/event exclusive, let players spend real money to maximize it (free xp for bypassing S#&$ modules in WoT, Taters/Forma here), nerf said item when new shiny comes out, repeat entire process until everyone wises the F*** up and leaves.

Hell, at least WoT punishes you for not having skill. Aim at the wrong spot (shooting the turret of an American Heavy using Hull Down tactics) and watch your shell, which might have a half a minute reload time between shots, bounce harmlessly while the enemy gets to return fire. In Warthunder, if you blindly fire at the rear of a bomber, you'll get shredded by the gunners, but if you take time to aim at the gunners/pilot/engines, you have a much better chance of coming out on top. Mechwarrior Online, if you try to circle strafe an Assault pilot while using a Light, don't be surprised when the Assault mech pilot stops moving and aims low, taking out one of your legs when you enter their firing arc (Legging is a death sentence to a Light, especially with an Atlas as the one attacking). Smart pilots in Light mechs would just stay behind said Assault to damage the much-less armor rear torso (it's why I never used Streak missiles, bad pilots could be legged when circle strafing, good ones would never present the opportunity to begin with) and not worry about taking an AC-20 (Auto-Cannon 20, a big-&#! gun for a walking mech of death) to the torso/legs.

Just sell your stuff then to make more room, that's how you manage your inventory in every MMO/RPG.

Seriously, you don't NEED to buy slots to keep playing. And even if you did, a 50$ purchase on this game would set you for at least 5 years. (Assuming you aren't an idiot with your money [How surprising, a skill that's useful in life can apply to this game too?!].)

I admit, the marketing team(?) has no idea how to price their items because half the time, the pricing doesn't even make sense.

And then the items that would help you greatly cost barely a fraction of what you get from the bundle packages.

Repetition is a terrible argument; provide constructive criticism to improve a game for other people, not push other games for your own agenda (like OP did)

What would lengthen the game's life? What would add variety? How much would it all cost? How long would it take? etc etc etc.

Warframe is nowhere near a perfect game, don't mistaken me for a hardheaded fanboy (I just got into this game 2 weeks ago and already buying Platinum), it's just far more enjoyable and rewarding compared to other games in the same genre (F2P).

Slots are reasonable. And very cheap.

Tenno was released from cryopods after A VERY LONG TIME, now they should find something to fight with against new great threats, just to survive.

This is why we are looking for resources (farming), crafting and mastering (leveling) new weapons and frames

This is core of the game at this moment. + Style and variety of course

And even if you did, a 50$ purchase on this game would set you for at least 5 years. (Assuming you aren't an idiot with your money [How surprising, a skill that's useful in life can apply to this game too?!].)

You're implying this game will be alive in 5 years.

Well you should enjoy it if it does happen instead of being negative about it.

Course', what can we expect from a person who states opinions as facts.

Hey, I'm positive about it, not negative. You know the kind of enjoyment one derives from watching card house tumble down? That. I intend to get maximum entertainment value out of warframe.