Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ign And Gamespot Reviews: Repetition, Grind, Over Priced Content

DeadlyPeanutt

Hey, I'm positive about it, not negative. You know the kind of enjoyment one derives from watching card house tumble down? That. I intend to get maximum entertainment value out of warframe.

So a sadist basically.

Yeah, I don't think you'll provide anything constructive so I'll just ignore you.

One thing they can do to improve the Plat shop is reprice everything so it makes sense.

I like this game and all, but I do have to agree with the reviews in the video. This game isn't newbie friendly. Alot of the new people/friends that I introduce to this game (non-referral, because well, that's the kind of person I am) left because of it. Some people want to try out the feel for this game themselves and then slowly pick up their pace.

While it is nice to team up with friends and other people from the start. As some of the reviews said, "It's a race/mad dash to the extraction". This can be discouraging to new players as they want to explore and really enjoy the game. When i first played it, I just went with the flow of the group (which is probably the case of most people). But then you got the people in your team spamming the waypoint to the extraction or harassing the new players to "hurry up".

While there is a tutorial in this game, it still doesn't help that much, afterall, a tutorial is still just that, a tutorial. After the tutorial, new players want to try out the things they learned and so forth. They are also bombarded with so much content like the mod system. It's easy to understand since the veterans already know what to do, what is best for what. The new players on the other hand are clueless as to what is what. Asking for help on the in-game chat is near-pointless because of the speed and flow of the chat.

They're automatically wondering "How can I use the skills I saw in the tutorial?" or "How come other people are doing so much more damage than me?" These questions do come up and yes while it feels stupid to some of us, it is actually a legitimate question from a new player's perspective. They, in a way, feel restricted to what they can do. While it gives them a goal like "I want to be like them, all powerful, and such", it can also give the opposite effect of them feeling intimidated and discouraged.

The answers of "just play solo then" or "play with friends then" is only a band-aid to a very serious cut/wound. Some of the new players may actually have more time to play and can't necessarily play with friends or just want the company of other players without the intimidating gameplay from some of the veterans in the game. "join a clan then duh" is also a band-aid solution because the new player is new and won't feel so relaxed since they are throw into a room of complete strangers.

While clans/guilds offer a small community within an already growing bigger community (bigger community being the game itself), new players will still feel withdrawn. Clans may try to be friendly and try to offer help, but as I have said, they are new and might feel intimidated.

We shouldn't baby the new players, but at the same time not much is done at the moment to resolve this. Gameplay is kinda repetitive and grindy for materials. Credits offered as rewards from completing missions aren't rewarding, to help the new players along and keep their interest since they are stuck with the frame they chose and their beginning weapons.

While this game may be in beta now, it won't always be in beta forever and it isn't acceptable to keep using the "this game is still in beta" excuse.

DE is working on it, I'm sure but at the moment, I can only wait hopefully for updates and patches to remedy this. Burn-outs are happening as we speak from the new players that just joined and from veterans. They will only come back once new content as been patched and then leave.

This shouldn't be acceptable since you want your games to be enjoyed for as long as possible and keep your clients/customers. The community is generally friendly-ish but there are times when help-requests or just newbie questions are drowned out from the conversations in region.

Sorry for the long post. For the people who respond "tl;dr" then...oh well.... can't really help you, since if you didn't want to take the time to read it, then obviously you don't care much for it and so there shouldn't be a need to reply to this post.

Edited by VoidWraith

So a sadist basically.

Yeah, I don't think you'll provide anything constructive so I'll just ignore you.

One thing they can do to improve the Plat shop is reprice everything so it makes sense.

The word is schadenfreude. Much constructive critique has been provided, DE just managed to ignore most of it. And if DE is big, stronk AAA developer that needs no feedback, then I can only sit back and enjoy the trainwreck

IMO before people are allowed to review a game they should play AT LEAST 40 hours of it. If you review it after like 10 hours, then you can call that a "first impressions" but don't say it's a review, because it just isn't.

You do know most modern games don't even last 12 hours, right? Also, I didn't need five hours before I started to see why people called the game Warfarm.

Hey, I'm positive about it, not negative. You know the kind of enjoyment one derives from watching card house tumble down? That. I intend to get maximum entertainment value out of warframe.

Now you're just being inflammatory.  You say you and your clan watch the steam graph on warframe on a weekly basis, and then talk about the health of the player base, which says to me you obviously care about the state of the game.  And yet you state that you will get some kind of enjoyment out of watching the game fail?  These two statements really contradict each other.  If you don't care about the game then why do you pay so much attention to it, and why do you respond to forum posts, or even look at forums for a game you could care less about?

Now, something that's kind of bothering me (please correct me if this interpretation is wrong) is that a lot of the more experienced players seem to be on the general consensus that "They aren't experienced with the game! They have no right to be reviewing it!" Well, agree or disagree as you will, but first impressions can be just as, if not more important than, an experienced review of a game. They can be such as vital because they grant a point of view from a fresh perspective, with a potential to highlight things that those more experienced with the game either refuse to acknowledge or don't even remember being present in the game. Granted, IGN and Gamespot are miles away from being highly reliable review sources. However, when a review like these come up from really anyone regarding first impressions of the game, this says there is legitimately something about the game that has to be looked at and addressed. Luckily, DE is working on a new tileset for us and has plans for more to come, though hopefully something is done about the intense grinding which, in my opinion, is a little too much. I'll leave my comment at that note however, since it's getting off topic. 

Edited by BizarreFetalChimpanzee

Now, something that's kind of bothering me (please correct me if this interpretation is wrong) is that a lot of the more experienced players seem to be on the general consensus that "They aren't experienced with the game! They have no right to be reviewing it!" Well, agree or disagree as you will, but first impressions can be just as, if not more important than, an experienced review of a game. They can be such as vital because they grant a point of view from a fresh perspective, with a potential to highlight things that those more experienced with the game either refuse to acknowledge or don't even remember being present in the game. Granted, IGN and Gamespot are miles away from being highly reliable review sources. However, when a review like these come up from really anyone regarding first impressions of the game, this says there is legitimately something about the game that has to be looked at and addressed. Luckily, DE is working on a new tileset for us and has plans for more to come, though hopefully something is done about the intense grinding which, in my opinion, is a little too much. I'll leave my comment at that note however, since it's getting off topic. 

More tutorials

And smoothness.

Actually, main storyline with all things explained by the way it's the best way.

Now you're just being inflammatory.  You say you and your clan watch the steam graph on warframe on a weekly basis, and then talk about the health of the player base, which says to me you obviously care about the state of the game.  And yet you state that you will get some kind of enjoyment out of watching the game fail?  These two statements really contradict each other.  If you don't care about the game then why do you pay so much attention to it, and why do you respond to forum posts, or even look at forums for a game you could care less about?

There's no contradiction at all. Many members of our clan contributed critical feedback to DE only to be ignored or dismissed. That includes 'Objectively not a desin document' and more recent thread from theGreatZamboni. Our member Ced23Ric resigned from his commod position from sheer frustration in DE. This results in some major disappointment in DE's policy as you might guess, hence we monitor steam graphs and other means of checking on playerbase numbers and get a nice, humorous chuckle from ongoing hail of negative reviews.

That said, I wouldn't mind if DE got their collective head out of their collective &#!, took a look around to see if the coast is clear and decided to start fixing the game, for once. I'd be delighted if that happened.

This game need 2 things.

Stealth gameplay.

And a purpose. 

DE can be considered awesome compared to other big gaming companies who sees players as moneybags. And you know what? Those so called professional big gaming companies are full of clowns who cant fix a thing and has no idea about gaming. 

And that IGN etc is as worse as them.

I don't think newer players realise how easy it is to make warframes and weapons with materials...

See, that's the problem. They feel pressured into buying stupidly expensive things, and quit on the spot. That's not how the marketplace of any game should work. It does much more harm than good.

Edited by SortaRandom

Honestly i still have much of the plat i got when i purchased my founder pack (and correct me if i'm wrong, but a lot of founders complained about the Prime Access packs exactly because they still had their plat). And i juggle translation, community moderating and playing on my free-time which means i am just the kind of player that would want to buy everything with plat.

Still, i didn't. Just finished building Valkyr (didn't liked her) and i still feel that Warframe is one of the most "forgiving" F2P games out there. The only thing you can't get for free (if you don't count plat trading even, which is another option) are slots and cosmetics.

There are many people that do feel the same as a reviews do and the experienced players that love this game are too biased to review warframe.

It would be like trying to get friends to play only for them to dislike their experience and feel they wasted their time and end up agreeing with the reviews.

There is no one good enough to review this game or any other online game/MMO. Warframe is better off without review.

Hell, as long as they keep new content rolling in and not under a paywall, I'll be sticking around for many years to come. The (slight) reveal of Update 11.5 features was enough to get me excited for Warframe's future, and every week they tweak the game and add in new content. 

The game's only over priced if you choose to spend money on it. Free 2 play, but thankfully not Pay 2 Win...

Experienced players and WF Game Developers, 

I invite you to watch the reviews of IGN and GameSpot.  The important conclusions: Warframe's intense grind and over priced content dampen any value the game has.  Also, the game is much too repetitive.  

Considering how poor those reviews are (and I don't mean in the sense of Warframe being poor) why should anyone in DE take any notice.

I've only played WF a bit and have found these reviews to be accurate.  I play F2P games such as War Thunder, TF2, Hawken and others... THOSE games I keep playing, because it's not difficult to buy new weapons and vehicles with FREE in game currency. The ironic thing is that I've spend between 10 and 50 dollars on each one of those F2P games purchasing equipment i love (several premium planes in WT for instance, and cool cosmetic effects for my mechs in Hawken).

I have played WarThunder and Hawken as well.

It is easy to buy frames and weapons with in game currency. Its really easy, you can get the parts for a non-prime Warframe in an evening no problem.

The fact that you are comparing Warframe to WarThunder in a negative light is laughable, the grind in WT is much, much larger unless you want to run a premium account, it takes a huge amount of time to get the higher tier planes and you are forced to work your way up the tiers if you happen to want a high tier plane.

Spend $20 on Warframe (especially with a discount) and you can get enough slots for a very large amount of frames or weapons.

Edited by Silvershadow66

All MMOs are repetitve grindfests, all you do is slay respawning mobs. 

DE actually made Warframe a fun action game unlike anything else, its repetitive, but the process is fun, much better than casual lock-on skill cycling  of wow-clones. And comparing pvp games (tf2, tanks and stuff) to pve focused game is apples to oranges.

I still hope they make more new maps, missions and enemy types tho. 

Edited by Monolake

I'm playing Warframe since Update 8.

I never had any problems with getting better weapons or frames. You can get every one of them (except for event exclusive stuff etc) very easily.

The only things that can't be acquired without real-life money are slots and cosmetic stuff. And now you can get plat by seling mods and void keys, which makes it a lot easier.

I never had to grind for resources. I never run out of credits. You can complain on grinding for primes, but anything else - not really.

So quit yo whining.

Exactly, you played warframe a "Bit" just the the crap &#! journalists did. All you need to do for 80 percent of the weapons is get to saturn. You twats are so narrow minded about this game its getting depressing. Its a multiplayer co-op shooter thats main focus is high action gameplay, what the hell do you expect? A 70 hour engrossing storyline? Wait for mgs5 or the witcher 3 like the rest of us

THIS. 100 Times THIS.

You can CRAFT every Weapon in this game. Only because you cna´t buy them for Credits does not mean you can´t get them for free.

I have every Frame in this game and did not buy one of them. 

Grinding Frames is not hard. 

A Friend that startet out got all but 2 in only 2 Weeks.

All MMOs are repetitve grindfests, all you do is slay respawning mobs. 

DE actually made Warframe a fun action game unlike anything else, its repetitive, but the process is fun, much better than casual lock-on skill cycling  of wow-clones. And comparing pvp games (tf2, tanks and stuff) to pve focused game is apples to oranges.

I still hope they make more new maps, missions and enemy types tho. 

No, not all MMOs are like that. There generally is always some aspect of doing some simple repetitive actions to get your foot on the ladder, but well designed games give you multiple different ways of generating resources. Even just looking at the WoW-type fantasy schlock (which personally I can't stand and have never played in depth) there is always the choice between killing stuff and a variety of different crafting type things. Some games let players be real merchants; buying and selling and running creating an economy that is about players rather than NPCs. Even beyond that, some games let groups of players carve out their own fiefdom and earn money by providing services. Finally some games let you steal from other players. Not the nicest thing in the world, but it's a real profession in some games. 

Warframe only gives you one choice - keep killing stuff. Yes, you can get some small amounts of resources with extractors, but you still need credits and blueprints and formas and a bunch of resources that you can only get from killing mobs. 

And to be honest it's kinda charitable to call Warframe an MMO. It's an online game, and it is multiplayer, but it's not massively. You can play with 3 other people at a time. That's on the same level as Borderlands or Left4Dead. The locations are small and repetitive as are the enemies. You don't walk/fly/teleport to some far location in the same game-world to find different or harder enemies. You just pick a harder mission. There is no exploration, and there is no persistent game world. 

Like I say, I like the game and I'm going to keep playing but the criticisms people make are true, and DE needs a realistic time frame for fixing those core parts of the game. Not just tenno reinforcements. They need to fix core problems and create a real endgame.

The review would have held more weight if there was any sign at all the reviewer had played the game for more than an hour. Seemingly completely unaware that weapons, warframes and sentinals etc can be built simply with materials and credits, and not costing $60 at all, and no real exploration of the deep customisation available of weapons and frames to suit mission styles.

It's not completely useless as a review. But maybe it should be renamed to "first impressions of warframe" with a follow up "things we got wrong because they weren't obvious enough to us" article.

Considering how poor those reviews are (and I don't mean in the sense of Warframe being poor) why should anyone in DE take any notice.

Because other people feel the same and are not yes men like yourself that dilute yourselves into thinking this game has no flaws especially the ones mentioned in the videos. If you think this game has none of those flaws mentioned, you're a bigger fool than the others and you are only enabling this current state of warframe. And people find warframe boring due to this.

Extremely repetitive - Yes

Extreme Grind - There is nothing else to do but this.

Overpriced shop - indeed

Slow start - Very slow, other games give you more choice

Lack of knowledge passed onto new guys is none existent which is why these review are like this.