Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ign And Gamespot Reviews: Repetition, Grind, Over Priced Content

DeadlyPeanutt

Warframe is f2p? Holy S#&$... Ive been playing wrong.

On another note, WoW is overpriced with 45$+ per expansion along with the HAVING to pay to even play the game which is 15$ a month. I think Warframe has it quite nice. If you don't want to buy platinum it is possible to obtain every weapon or warframe in the game. The only thing you can't get is radioactive scarfs that create cancer and a extension for your sentinels &#!. Although warframe slots are a problem. Even then, you don't want to spend money? Good thing PC players now have trade, go get a rare mod and sell that bad boy for 20-40 plat. Mod trading is very active and super easy to get plat. There should be no problems saying it's over priced when you don't have to spend a dime because of platinum trading.

Now i'm going to see the review because i'm curious.

Edited by Completionist

I get that many people here feel the need to rush to the defense of the game, but I hope no one here is denying that pretty much everything in the game is WAY overpriced... That'd be just a little dellusional.

Some things are, definitely.

I've always felt like Warframes and Weapons needed smarter pricing. I refuse to believe any single weapon should cost more then roughly $10 worth of Plat.

And some Warframes are nearly $20. Not just that, there is no particular pricing pattern either. They are just scattered all over the price. It is ugly and pointless.

I feel like you didn't even bother watching the reviews... they were more than fair. They pointed out good and bad things.

And they flat out made false statements in some places, one example from the IGN one is about something that does turn players away from a game.

A Good review says "All the warframes and weapons in the marketplace can be farmed in game which can take some time, of course if you are in a hurry you can buy them but they are expensive" a Bad review says "To keep gameplay fresh you have to dip into Warframe's paid-for gear which can be very expensive...".

And they flat out made false statements in some places, one example from the IGN one is about something that does turn players away from a game.

A Good review says "All the warframes and weapons in the marketplace can be farmed in game which can take some time, of course if you are in a hurry you can buy them but they are expensive" a Bad review says "To keep gameplay fresh you have to dip into Warframe's paid-for gear which can be very expensive...".

That's very much a matter of opinion. 

There is the rookie gear you start with, and then one new gun which on closer inspection is the first gun but with better damage. It'll take you at a minimum a dozen hours of play before you get a new weapon, plus the build time of course. I can't think of another game where the distance between your rookie gear and the next level is quite so massive. You see people in missions with all kinds of sweet guns, and you can't even build a boring but functional thing to get yourself further into the game. 

I think it's perfectly fair for a new player to say that it feels like they are being forced to pay platinum, because getting to the point where you can build your own gear takes farming really boring content for very long periods of time. And that stinks. 

I feel like that's DEs fault for not explaining how their game works properly. This also goes hand in hand with how incredibly hard it is just to get a start as a new player.

While the review could have been worded better the fault still lies with the game for not showing new users what can be done.

I also do not think a review (especially for a game like warframe) needs to have 20+ hours invested into. Because lets be real here, the mechanics you learn 5 minutes after the first time you play Warframe are the exact same mechanics that we use after we've played Warframe for 200 hours.

The *only* thing that changes is the availability of materials and what you can build with them, all the actual game play mechanics are the same. Guns all more or less shoot the same, melee weapons all work the same with little variance between charge and attack speed weapons and you get a little more variety with the actual frames, but beyond that. Nothing changes from 5 minutes into to 200 hours in.

Edited by f3llyn

That's very much a matter of opinion. 

No, its a matter of the facts. If you say that you must spend real money when the game allows you to spend time grinding as well then you are wrong. The only place where opinion comes into it is how you talk about the length and difficulty of the grind.

I also do not think a review (especially for a game like warframe) needs to have 20+ hours invested into. Because lets be real here, the mechanics you learn 5 minutes after the first time you play Warframe are the exact same mechanics that we use after we've played Warframe for 200 hours.

If you want to talk about game mechanics then no you only need a few hours but if the reviewer wants to talk about the things that happen 20+ hours into the game then yes the need to either spend those 20+ hours or do a lot of research so that they can be accurate,

Edited by Silvershadow66

No, its a matter of the facts. If you say that you must spend real money when the game allows you to spend time grinding as well then you are wrong. The only place where opinion comes into it is how you talk about the length and difficulty of the grind.

He's basically saying newbies shouldn't put any effort in bettering your character.

He says it, so it must be right.

Also, none of the starting weapons can kill anything and the starting warframes are absolute trash.

/s

Edited by Kagumin

I broadly agree with the reviews tbh.

I think, crucially, for a new player, the core advancement principle is a grind to unlock a grind, and that severely limits its longevity.

Frex, a new player grinds to get the creds and materials to build a new weapon, but after unlocking it is faced with a backwards step, while they grind through low level missions they've already played to level-up their new weapon to same effectiveness as their old weapon.

Yet, if you start out with a Warframe you really like (like Excalibur), and a obtain a starter weapon you really like (like the Braton), you aren't actually compelled to unlock new content or continue to play higher level versions of the very same missions. If you don't find that a grind and persevere, playing higher level missions has less and less point, until you hit that wall where your starter weapon's no longer effective. At this point, you're back to square one.

If you want to talk about game mechanics then no you only need a few hours but if the reviewer wants to talk about the things that happen 20+ hours into the game then yes the need to either spend those 20+ hours or do a lot of research so that they can be accurate,

Listen to him again. He said that to keep the game fresh you needed to buy with plat. He's not saying YOU MUST BUY WITH PLAT TO GET GUNS. He is saying 'To get new weapons frequently enough to keep the game interesting and feeling like you are progressing, you will almost certainly need to use real money to get them'.

Those two things are different