Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bow, Stepping Out Of Sniper's Shadow.

--MANA--

I've seen and also noticed that right now Bow is being overshadowed by sniper weapons.

I've read somewhere in a thread where someone said that Snipers are really suppose to be stronger than bow's and I do agree BUT I think that bows should have their own "gunplay".

Bow mechanics should be changed. I'm not asking for the damage but just for the mechanics. So that bows would not be just a sniper's little shadow. They should have their own mechanic so they can be useful in their own way in the game and have their come back.

So here is my proposal/suggestion.

Bows should have passive effects. Effects that are inflicted when an enemy has been hit in a specific point in the body.

For example: when arrow hits a human in the side rib, whether if its on the right or the left. the person who got shot will have a movement restriction. like not being able to move the arm freely because the arrow/bolt is still stuck in the rib.

and the following are the effects of getting hit by an arrow at a certain part.

- Leg: When an opponent gets hit in the leg or foot, they won't be able to run or their walking will be impaired. or in simple terms they are slowed but not like slowed by an ice effect.

- Arm: Small chance to disable the enemy from attacking for a short period of time/ high chance of reducing their accuracy by a huge amount.

- Torso: Very small chance of instantly killing the enemy when hitting a vital spot with a full drawback/ High chance of bleeding when arrow hits the torso.

- Head: Very small chance of instantly killing the enemy when arrow hits in the head with a full drawback/ normal chance of stunning the enemy even at light drawback.

Tell me what you guys think?

*Note: drawback is term for "charging" the bow before shooting.

Edited by ProminenceVII

And why shouldn't a much higher velocity bullet do the exact same thing?:)

Haven't had a clear thought on this one and was hoping that maybe someone could give a good suggestion on this. I just wanted to make an effect that would completely seperate it from the sniper because as of now its kinda like a mini sniper.

I think letting the bows be the first weapons to have a high status chance would help them step away from being snipers

Yeah thats what I think too. I just want it to have it's own gunplay and usage.

Very small chance? You get hit in the head with an arrow and tell me if you'll live.

Head and a specific area of the torso should have a higher chance based on damage.

Depends on the situation. if I was 300 meters away from an archer that shot me with a really really small draw back and hit me in the head. I'll just probably get a small scratch don't you think?

Edited by ProminenceVII

And why shouldn't a much higher velocity bullet do the exact same thing?:)

ah I wanted to get back on you about that. I wasn't exactly sure on what you were referring to. if it's the insta kill or the effect.

Well to tell you. when you get hit by a bullet it doesn't leave a huge wooden thing sticking out of your body that hinders you from doing such movements. I know bullets are suppose to be "stronger" in a way but when they pierce through you completely it doesn't have the same effect as an arrow would do.

But that's the whole point, they're not supposed to be snipers. So why try to hit them from 300 meters?

I don't get what youre trying to imply here? He was asking if I would get shot in the head with an arrow and I would live and I answered to that.

I didn't specify distance, chance should be effected by distance and damage.

that's the thing that we are trying to avoid here. If this would be accepted and be implemented people would go whine again and say "Snipers has a higher damage and lower fall of than arrows do so they should also put the insta kill". and after that bow again will be just another shadow of snipers.

After you clarify what you said. I actually think this is good if its only for the bow.

Edited by ProminenceVII

Mmk, here it is people, the super-secret message we shared.

Seeing as the raw idea of a 'very little chance' when shot in the head with an arrow is somewhat unreasonable, why not enhance that chance with damage and distance? Make it as to where, the closer you are and the higher your damage is the higher a chance you have of killing them is. (Or t least towards that side) and then farther away is well, self-explanatory.

Mmk, here it is people, the super-secret message we shared.

Seeing as the raw idea of a 'very little chance' when shot in the head with an arrow is somewhat unreasonable, why not enhance that chance with damage and distance? Make it as to where, the closer you are and the higher your damage is the higher a chance you have of killing them is. (Or t least towards that side) and then farther away is well, self-explanatory.

These bows are not like the bows you get at Kmart m8... If you read the discription, it basically tells you that they are just another form of a rail gun, so this idea would just be would be no improvement among bows, and would be like the shotguns all over again with the same damage decrease over range. Ill pass, bows just need to be straight out buffed, and right now they are just being ignored. So what if you can arc your arrows so it can hit a target behind a barrier, if you aim just right, so can every other weapon...

Evidence of bows being like a rail gun? well here you go...

"Based on one of the world's oldest weapon designs, this Tenno-crafted weapon can be used both in stealth and in open combat. The PARIS uses a chargeable magnetic field to launch arrows capable of impaling enemies to walls"

That is straight off the Wiki on http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Paris

That is the discription, and most bows are based around the paris prime build, infact the paris prime should be stronger than what it is now, but im sure there is alot of people here who think otherwise.

as for the paris prime... "Discovered deep inside an ancient Orokin derelict the PARIS PRIME increases the kinetic energy of any bolt it fires, dealing more damage than its more common counterpart."

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Paris_Prime

Personally I'd like a crit chance buff to Bow-class weapons so they can deal critical hits more consistently

Also check out this guy's topic, he has a nice section of suggestions for additional Bow effects

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/144108-weapons-20-overhauling-the-boring-and-generic-gunplay-of-warframe/

Ive seen this before, and i still say no. Because everything he says, is basically what a warframe is for. Its just adding more complicated matters to the game, and involves a intence overhull to the program.

One way (and probably one of the easiest) would be to add additional mods like Thunderbolt (that actually scales and not so RNG). Half the Dev time and fully able to give the uniqueness that the bows need.

Edited by Loubbo

A bow can do some pretty good damage with Thunderbolt along with Fast Hands and Speed Trigger and Shred for an almost instant fully charged shot per shot. I prefer bows over the Vectis.

Not everyone here wants to use thunderbolt, especially if i am on my Loki, i want to kill things... sliently. Face it, bows are just underpowered, we just like them for their looks, and the concept of bows is a classic weapon that has been improved in history. The bow is a iconic weapon in real life, used for sport, hunting, and military (though not used anymore i think in military practice).

point is, they look good, they are Iconic not only in movies but in history, and they are extremly under powered in the game.

One way (and probably one of the easiest) would be to add additional mods like Thunderbolt (that actually scales and not so RNG). Half the Dev time and fully able to give the uniqueness that the bows need.

Adding special mods for the bow will eventually just limit it more. it's already too limited now and doesn't have it's own gunplay. the mods that we have now are just like different kinds of "arrows/bolts" like flaming, ice and so on. so making these effects as mods would just really limit the bow.

A bow can do some pretty good damage with Thunderbolt along with Fast Hands and Speed Trigger and Shred for an almost instant fully charged shot per shot. I prefer bows over the Vectis.

Pretty good damage in short terms. Once you reach higher level it's just not gonna work anymore. That kind of gunplay is just like using an ogris that has a bullet that doesn't explode at times. They need to have their own unique effect that needs to seperate them from snipers and any other guns. this is the main point of the suggestion

It's simple really : snipers would have a good crit chance; bows should have good status chance. To slightly compensate the difference, then bows would have a slight buff in base damage since they wouldn't crit as much as a sniper.

While they wouldn't deal as much damage as snipers, bows would then be used as status proc weapons with range in mind. One type would deal with precision fire and hitting vital spots while the other specialize in delivery of various effects on impact.

Artificially expanding gameplay for a single weapon the way you suggest wouldn't make the bow stand out more, it would just make people whine about how other guns can't do the same thing.

What most people don't get is that I'm not asking for the bow to stand out than the other weapons. I'm suggesting that the bow should have it's own gunplay and I even gave reasons why bow can make such effects. do you get it? because arrows is different from bullets. Having a specific gunplay doesn't mean it will stand out from the others.

And autocrit while shot in the knee ?

/exit

I didn't know where you get this from, I didn't even suggest that. But even if so this can be done, why are you already "exiting" the game? I don't get it. In my point of view youre just one of those whiners. no offence. If so that hitting in the knee will result into a autocrit in the knee why quit already? It's not like the crit damage or damage of the bow itself is so OP. It's not like it's so easy to hit a moving target in the knee.

Please enlighten me why do you have such reaction to something that is just so small.

It's simple really : snipers would have a good crit chance; bows should have good status chance. To slightly compensate the difference, then bows would have a slight buff in base damage since they wouldn't crit as much as a sniper.

While they wouldn't deal as much damage as snipers, bows would then be used as status proc weapons with range in mind. One type would deal with precision fire and hitting vital spots while the other specialize in delivery of various effects on impact.

Exactly! It's just this simple and yet people tend to misunderstand this suggestion. I'm not suggesting for the bow to be stronger than the sniper. It's just suggesting that the bow should have it's own style.

Personally I feel that the bows should move away from sniping and go for more of a constant mid range damage approach. Give it higher base damage, lower crit slightly and give it some projectile spread on high to extreme ranges (or just give it damage fall off on extreme range). Maybe shorten the charge speed / "reload" animation slightly.

Primary weapons are really lacking in the semi-auto, mid-high damage category... yeah well theres the Latron (Prime) which is pretty cool since 2.0... buut its still a crit slot machine.

I'm thinking in oneshot (2?) medium Grineers (~lvl60?) on the head and 2-3 shot heavies. Latron kind of does that when you get some decent crit rolls.

Edited by Lers