Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Buffed Boltor?

Viciouspen

Hey guys *waves*

First time on warfame forums, so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot as I'm asking a question and perhaps not offering feedback.

Anyways.  I really love the boltor,  It was the first weapon I saw in the game that I really wanted to have when I started playing not that long ago.  As much as I liked it, I knew with where it stood before, with it's damage and projectile speed, that it fell below a weapon like the soma.

I'm really curious what people are making of this newly buffed bolto.  I just got rank 6 and have a soma cooking in the foundry so have not got to try it yet.  The jump in boltor damage seems like a goodly ammount, and the projectile speed is decently faster, with it's armor penetrating ability is is a significantly better rifle now?

I'm very partial to rifle weapons (in any shooter really) so I'm definitely looking for a rifle to potato as my first potato weapon.  

So what are all of you who have a lot more experience with the game making of the newly buffed boltor?

First of all "hi and welcome to the forum!"

On topic i would say that, even if i dont know the exact buffs Boltor received it certainly wont compare with the Soma in terms of DPS so, if you have 1 potato only, i would put it in the Soma, it's a way better investment.

Regarding a feedback on the Boltor itself after the buff i really cant say much so i leave the word to someone else,

cheers!

First point: nowadays, you can obtain a potato from events, maybe 2 or 3 a moth,

Second point: BOLTOR no more penétrate armor since DAMAGE 2.0 are implemented (correct me if im wrong) now, the only true "armor ignore" damage is TOXIC, it damages life directly, I recommend you to try with a TOXIC damage weapon, but NOT ADD any other damage type to it, it would combine with toxic and become GAS, or POISON ...

Tirh point: If you have a soma under construction, its time to say godbye to boltor

The secret to warframe is that any weapon is super OP if you put four or five polarities on it and use the appropriate high end mods for your target. If you LIKE a weapon, it's never a really bad choice for your Forma and Potato expenditure. The only major pitfall is in your overall selection. If you only invest in upgrading puncture weapons you could end up in trouble.

The Boltor, long term, is troublesome in that it's very first slot is a D polarity. This is used for only a few mods, including cold damage, but putting cold first forces you into various elemental combos with other mods. That can be troublesome. DE_Steve has said he's trying to fix that problem with the game in general though, might not be an issue for long.

The closest weapon to the Boltor would be the Dera. It's another slow projectiles assault rifle that does primary puncture. Maybe try that out before you do too much with the Boltor, you might like it better.

Thanks to all.

I had been curious since the buff to boltor's damage was considerable.  18 to 25, and the projectile speed being much faster now.

I had not realized that boltor no longer punches through armor or ignores it.  Honestly i dont' get much of the damage 2.0 stuff.  It's one of those things in warframe that I think needs to be....more intuitive perhaps?.... mostly just confused by it atm.

Anyways.

I mostly just really like rifle/machine gun weapons so i figured when using my first potato It comes down to the boltor or the soma.  I really like the tenno weapons so luckily they're both tenno.

So does the boltor buff make it measure up better now?  Or is that buff only because the damage 2.0 stuff taking away it's armor ignore kicked it in the teeth and the buff was to bring it back up?

It's starting to look like when my soma gets done cooking I'll be potatoing it when it gets to 30 (making myself wait till then, see how i feel about how it plays and all).  I doubt I'd ever sell the boltor, and one day when I have enough potatoes I'll probably put one on it just cause I have a soft spot for it and like the idea of using it sometimes.

The boltor just looks so badass.

P.s.  So in you guys' opinion, is that why the boltor was buffed? Because ti lost a lot of damage in 2.0?  So it's not really stronger now just..they buffed it to even it out some?

Edited by Viciouspen

The 2.0 Damage system has made a few things sort of wacky in performance. Some work much better, some not so much (looking at you Ignis with your 1% status effect).

As for your first Potato Rifle, put it in whatever you enjoy using. My first one was a Braton w/ potato I got through Raptr's giveaway. It worked great. And while putting a potato in a Soma is a GREAT choice, the fact it's Mastery 7 now means you'll have plenty more potatoes by the time you get one, so use your potato on stuff you like. You'll get more. And with the new invasion system, you should be able to pick up some extra components to make more of them.

The 2.0 Damage system has made a few things sort of wacky in performance. Some work much better, some not so much (looking at you Ignis with your 1% status effect).

As for your first Potato Rifle, put it in whatever you enjoy using. My first one was a Braton w/ potato I got through Raptr's giveaway. It worked great. And while putting a potato in a Soma is a GREAT choice, the fact it's Mastery 7 now means you'll have plenty more potatoes by the time you get one, so use your potato on stuff you like. You'll get more. And with the new invasion system, you should be able to pick up some extra components to make more of them.

Well I have two potatoes at the moment and I'll have my soma for use tonight.  The potatoes and my mastery getting up enough to use soma all came about at the same time roughly.

I honestly don't get all the damage 2.0 stuff.  

I'm definitely waiting to potato anything until i get my soma up to 30, by then I figure I'll know.  If I like the soma I'll potato is (seems good, big magazine, tenno weapon, looks cool).

I went and played with my Boltor on Ceres after the update. With just a potato, no forma, it seemed to be keeping up with my one-forma Soma against all but the heavy units. The Boltor does primarily pen damage, which is more effective than the Soma's mostly slash damage; even if the Somas damage per shot is higher, the Boltor does a higher proportion of it in the right damage type, which puts them much closer together. I'm thinking of modding the Boltor up as an anti-grineer gun, then use the soma for the other factions.

Honestly the biggest problem with the Boltor is powercreep rendering it fairly obsolete.

That said it is still a good weapon (even more so with the buff). Treat it as a higher damage Braton that fires projectiles.

powercreep?

I went and played with my Boltor on Ceres after the update. With just a potato, no forma, it seemed to be keeping up with my one-forma Soma against all but the heavy units. The Boltor does primarily pen damage, which is more effective than the Soma's mostly slash damage; even if the Somas damage per shot is higher, the Boltor does a higher proportion of it in the right damage type, which puts them much closer together. I'm thinking of modding the Boltor up as an anti-grineer gun, then use the soma for the other factions.

hmm that's an interesting idea.  As I'm planning on potatoing the boltor when I have one to spare, I'll have to try that.

If you want to know how weapons compare, I'd recommend taking a look here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/143895-damage-20-spreadsheet/

thanks I'll check that out.

powercreep?

hmm that's an interesting idea.  As I'm planning on potatoing the boltor when I have one to spare, I'll have to try that.

thanks I'll check that out.

Powercreep refers to when content is added that renders previous content obsolete.

I'd recommend watching this video by Extra Credits, they will explain it better than I, but basically guns like the Boltor are rendered fairly obsolete when compared to the Soma or the Twin Gremlins.

Hey man, I'm another Boltor enthusiast, and I've been using it since the buff. I've got four forma on it, and have run it on T3 survivals. It can do the job. If you're really old-school and don't mind not being the most powerful around, you can still use your beloved Boltor and do alright. The increased projectile speed means it's much easier to fire accurately now, and the damage boost means its more viable for high-end levels than it used to be.

I suggest you have:

Serration

Split Chamber

Piercing Hit (to increase puncture damage)

Shred

Ammo Mutation Mod

And then elements depending on your enemy. You might want to ditch AMM for more elements to increase damage.

If you need to understand Damage 2.0, LOOK HERE: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/134176-explained-damage-20-builds-with-cheatsheets/ This will tell you ALL you need to know. Good luck, my Boltor-loving friend, and keep on rocking.

Edited by Jiufengbao