The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can Someone Please Teach Me How To Watch Star Wars....

AVEOX

It's the only series I haven't seen.

I have caught up with Star Trek, Lord of The Rings, etc, etc..

I want to start watching it except, whenever I google a title, it keeps showing me this confusing order...

Can someone please tell me how to watch them, like in chronological (according to story timeline) order?

Is there like a specific order of watching them or can I just jump ahead and watch them according to date of release order?

I'm really confused right now. 

Please enlighten. T_T

uh... in terms of release it goes 4,5,6,1,2,3.

1-3 are the prequels, 4-6 are the original ones

the original ones are a LOT better, a lot of people hated the prequels

EDIT: to directly answer your question, go in order of release

Edited by Senparos

Star Wars.  The original movies 1977-1983:

Episode IV  A new hope (1977)

Episode V The Empire Strikes back (1980)

Episode VI Return of the Jedi (1983)

Star Wars Movies 1999-2005:

Episode I The phantom Menace (1999)

Episode II Attack of the Clones (2002)

Episode III Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Animated:

Star Wars Clone Wars (2008)

Star Wars New upcoming Movies 2015-TBA

Star Wars Episode VII (2015)

Star Wars Episode VIII (TBA)

Star Wars Episode IX (TBA)

In order as Lucas "intended" So far

((AKA the Time line Order))

Episode I

Episode II

Clone Wars

Episode III

Episode IV

Episode V

Episode VI.

To be honest.  Just watch A new Hope, Empire strikes back, and Return of the Jedi.

they are, well were (Damn your Re-edits Lucas) The best ones.

If you GET LUCKY,  you can find the ones that George Lucas Did not Butcher with RE-edits.

and if I were you. 

I would Watch them as fast as I can Before George Lucas changes them again.

Edit:   Han shot FIRST Damit!

Edited by OniDarkClown

if you want chronological in regards to the universe it is set in, then 1 through to 6 will do (as in phantom menace first).  release, it goes from 4-6, then 1-3.  You can choose what oder you watch them in, as the two trilogies make sense without each other, but it helps to watch them all.

Watch 4-6 first. If you really like them don't bother watching the prequels. If you didn't like them don't bother watching the prequels. Under no circumstances should you watch the prequels.

If you can find them watch the original cuts of 4-6. They made some very questionable alterations.

Under no circumstances should you watch the prequels.

I'm a bit battled by this, I personally enjoyed all 6 films. Sure, the parts with Annakin in the prequels were a bit cringeworthy (I'm sure the man has shown his real acting skills in other movies, but dayum) but overall I liked them.

Can someone tell me why they were bad, just so I can understand slightly?

Pretty much yeah, forget the prequels.  A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi are all you'll ever want to see.  Early versions of the movie are best, without all the CGI.

The three prequels are messes with unlikeable and unrelatable characters, messes of CGI that are there just to show off CGI, plots that are utterly forgettable, and over-choreographed fights that are less meaningful in any way so much as they're just flashy circus acts.

I'm a bit battled by this, I personally enjoyed all 6 films. Sure, the parts with Annakin in the prequels were a bit cringeworthy (I'm sure the man has shown his real acting skills in other movies, but dayum) but overall I liked them.

I don't really know. I always attributed it to random ridiculous internet rage. Similar to the hatred of comic sans font or nickelback. The only think I don't like is how whiny Anakin is. The only real reason besides that I have heard is some people didn't like how they explained the force.

One of my friends said 4,5,1,2,3,6 was the optimum order. The prequels then function as a very large flashback. But 1-6 would work just fine. 

The problem is this:

George Lucas wanted to explain EVERYTHING and it took the mystery, the fun, away from the movies. I don't CARE where the Force comes from! I want heroes and villains duking it out with cool music in the background. I don't EVER want to hear Jar Jar Binks again (Unless it's a death scream where he is devoured by rabid womp rats).

In the originals, very little is explained UNLESS it is germane to the plot. (WTH is a hydrospanner and WHY do you use it in a hyperdrive? I DON'T CARE! Bring on the asteroids!) In the prequels, EVERYTHING is explained ad nauseum. (Midichlorians... *shiver*)

The mystery, the fun, the imagination at work was left in the dust in the name of CGI and silliness.

Edited by Kalenath

The problem is this:

George Lucas wanted to explain EVERYTHING and it took the mystery, the fun, away from the movies. I don't CARE where the Force comes from! I want heroes and villains duking it out with cool music in the background. I don't EVER want to hear Jar Jar Binks again (Unless it's a death scream where he is devoured by rabid womp rats).

In the originals, very little is explained UNLESS it is germane to the plot. (WTH is a hydrospanner and WHY do you use it in a hyperdrive? I DON'T CARE! Bring on the asteroids!) In the prequels, EVERYTHING is explained ad nauseum. (Midichlorians... *shiver*)

The mystery, the fun, the imagination at work was left in the dust in the name of CGI and silliness.

Oh god, I forgot about Jar Jar. *shivers*

I guess I never noticed, or maybe just didn't care if they explained stuff. As long as its not too much and/or detract from the rest, I can find some of it interesting. For instance, I do want to know where the Force comes from and what it does. Though explaining it in detail is probably not the best idea in a film. For me, mystery is only interesting for so long before I actually want to know.

Been a while since I saw Star Wars though, maybe I'll facepalm like crazy when I do it again.