The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lex Needs Some Love!

Vanadium

I know DE has said that they're working on new models for old weapons (even if that was back in Sept), but I feel like the Lex is particularly lacking in quality.

For starters, the Lex is the...

2013-11-28_00002_zps177cafb5.jpg

...smallest...

2013-11-28_00006_zpsd328d49c.jpg

...pistol...

2013-11-28_00005_zpsdfa250d7.jpg

...as you can see:

2013-11-28_00007_zps301a1c0b.jpg

Given that the is Lex is a future-space-magic-Deagle, it should probably be a little bigger. Or a lot bigger.

Second, the textures aren't holding up to the new line of weapons. Some pistols like the Bolto, Kraken, and Lato are still looking pretty good next to the most recent secondaries, while the Lex seems pretty flat and looks like it was made in a lower resolution than the other pistols.

Also, the areas which are metal don't look like metal, especially when run through colors which are not greyscale. You could argue that it's space-polymer, but polymers that are commonly used in guns usually have a "grain", a rough texture, or are given a non-reflective surface, while the Lex has a dull shine like cheap plastic. Because of this, the Lex ends up looking like a pre-2000 Nerf gun:

LexNerf_zpscbcf651a.jpg

The double barrel nubs (not talking about the flashlight) are kind of weird. Though there are a number of weapons with more than one barrel (Dera, Supra, Ogris/Torid), the way they are executed on the Lex feels uncomfortable; they're just jammed against each other.

Lastly, though this is more personal, I feel like overall design of the Lex doesn't hold up in Warframe. It's always bothered me that the Lex is just a 1911-Deagle hybrid. Tenno weapons (It's still not clear to me if the Lex is Tenno; I thought I saw it on a Corpus weapon concept sheet way back, but it also doesn't look strictly Corpus either) always have more of an antique look, but they also look they belong in Warframe. The Vasto looks like an old Earth revolver, the Soma looks like a WW2 rifle, the Bolto looks like a flintlock pistol, but the Lex definitely is a 1911/Deagle. The flashlight doesn't deflect from this, it just reinforces the image.

Where DE takes their designs is their choice and I trust that choice (the aesthetics in Warframe are what pulled me in), but I'd still like to suggest the AMC .50 Automag as an inspiration for a potentional new Lex. It's got that early 20th-century look (because it looks like a huge Luger), while also looking powerful:

automag_002.jpg

Edited by Go4tfi5h

Well, a weapons power does not come from its size, but from the caliber, but as Lex also has very small barrels, and looks more like a lady pistol in general than like a Tenno weapon, I have to agree.

Didn't mean to suggest that "size=power", it's just that nothing about the Lex suggests that it's supposed to be a powerful pistol. In most shooters (or any game with guns) we don't have to worry about things like a gun's weight, balance, or ease of draw, so you might as well go big. Not saying that it should be rule of thumb, though. My favorite secondary in Payday is the .44 with the snub nose. Even though it has a small profile, it still looks powerful.

629pc6.jpg

Edited by Go4tfi5h

Didn't mean to suggest that "size=power", it's just that nothing about the Lex suggests that it's supposed to be a powerful pistol. In most shooters (or any game with guns) we don't have to worry about things like a gun's weight, balance, or ease of draw, so you might as well go big. Not saying that it should be rule of thumb, though. My favorite secondary in Heist is the .44 with the snub nose. Even though it has a small profile, it still looks powerful.

629pc6.jpg

I never said that you said it, I just wanted to give some additional information :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm all in favour of an improvement. Improved textures; replace the two barrels with a single, larger barrel; Increase the size a little. But please don't take the OP's suggestion of the Automag as inspiration. That has got to be one of the most terrible-looking handguns around. 

A little larger model, with better textures is all it really needs. And possibly replacing the double-barrel with a single.

I'm all in favour of an improvement. Improved textures; replace the two barrels with a single, larger barrel; Increase the size a little. But please don't take the OP's suggestion of the Automag as inspiration. That has got to be one of the most terrible-looking handguns around. 

A little larger model, with better textures is all it really needs. And possibly replacing the double-barrel with a single.

Pffft, you just wish you looked as good and minimalist as the Automag...

Again, just a suggestion. In general, I trust the art dpt to come up with cool looking stuff. They've only disappointed me 10 times out of 132.

Pffft, you just wish you looked as good and minimalist as the Automag...

Again, just a suggestion. In general, I trust the art dpt to come up with cool looking stuff. They've only disappointed me 10 times out of 132.

The Automag looks good, but it doesn't have the power of a DEagle .44, actually.  Whenever I see someone spooging over it, I giggle, cuz I know better.

Struggling to find a decent colour scheme due to the bland texture and uninteresting model.

Good luck. I stuck with black slide and chrome (white) chamber. But that makes everything look good so it doesn't really count.

Edited by Go4tfi5h