Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gorgon = Subsoma ?

DeadScream

Hi ! 

I'm here 'cause I'm confused. 

On a french forum (a videogame website) someone was asking how to get the Gorgon blueprint, and many people answered him it wasn't worth it, he'd rather take the Soma. 

Big lover of the Gorgon and as I never tried the Soma yet, I started a virtual fight to defend the awesomeness of the machinegun. So I went on the wiki and...well... 

Nothing, absolutely nothing makes the Gorgon a good weapon when compared to the Soma. 

Did I miss something ? 

The Soma is supposed to be an assault rifle but has a way bigger clip than the two machineguns (Gorgon and Supra), which are both less effective at damaging than this "rifle". 

What's wrong ? 

And please, tell me the Gorgon is not that bad ! Remember the old days when it was considered the best of all ! *-* 

The soma is mastery locked, and is massivly overused. Tbh thats why I hate it. I maintain there are many great weapons out there, that people just.... miss.

It isn't bad, not at all. With some speed mods on, you could tear through some shields and health in no time flat!

Soma has MUCH better accuracy. This means your bullets actually go into the enemy, instead of all around them. 

The Gorgon used to be like the Soma, but then was nerfed and is now a bullet hose that sends bullets into the ether. The range at which the Gorgon is accurate enough to be effective, a shotgun like Sobek would outperform it. The first time I fired an unranked Soma, I decided to delete the Gorgon from my inventory.

Even if you don't want to use the Soma because everyone else uses it and you want to be "unique", I still wouldn't recommend getting the Gorgon. If you want a weapon with a larger clip than the Braton, get the Boltor. It has a 60 round mag and is accurate enough that most of those 60 rounds will be useful. 

In summary, if you want a weapon that's in any way accurate, don't get the Gorgon. If you just want a bullet hose, don't get the Gorgon. If you.. .don't get the Gorgon.

Edited by Ryme

Got a Gorgon and I love it! Great damage but you can only maximize the damage after using it for a while (spool up time or whatever). Generally when I reach the max fire rate I need to reload. I will likely replace it with Soma though as it has constant speed and does not have low accuracy.

Power creep continues to make the "best" weapons in the game into-mid range weapons after a certain amount of time.  I remember when the Gorgon and the Hek were the best weapons in the Tenno arsenal.  There were times when the top gun was the Boltor, the Acrid, the Strun Wraith, etc.  The Soma will have its time in the sun and then something else will come out that puts it to shame and people will argue whether that gun needs a nerf.

Power creep continues to make the "best" weapons in the game into-mid range weapons after a certain amount of time.  I remember when the Gorgon and the Hek were the best weapons in the Tenno arsenal.  There were times when the top gun was the Boltor, the Acrid, the Strun Wraith, etc.  The Soma will have its time in the sun and then something else will come out that puts it to shame and people will argue whether that gun needs a nerf.

Stug and Penta are already here :)

Still I don't care. The Gorgon is a pure anti-Corpus weapon, devasting crowds at mid range. 

It's just not a primary you should use as a primary. It's something you take from your back at a special instant to vaporize everything in front of you, just like a special skill. 

Just like our new Twin Vipers Wraith.

Gorgon is a the closes thing to a minigun/machinegun this game has. If you complain about accuracy you have not understood what a minigun is.

Soma is a machine sniper cannon shooting relativistic submarines pulled from a pocket dimension. Nothing can get as close to its power and accuracy. (apart from Brakk before falloff kicks in)

Shooting the former makes me feel like a sexual tyranosaurus, shooting the latter makes me feel like I'm cheating.

F*** DPS, btw.

I REALLY hope Gorgon makes a comeback, with useful stats boosted, like say adding a bit of penetration damage and a decent clip size.

Edited by bobafetthotmail

Gorgon is a the closes thing to a minigun/machinegun this game has. If you complain about accuracy you have not understood what a minigun is.

If it was like fallout 3 were you could have thousands of rounds in your ammo pool I wouldn't care about accuracy. It is just gorgon's limited clip and ammo pool that makes street clearing problematic. I prefer chain feed mini-guns personally, and because of that i didn't ever realy like the feel of Gorgon.

Edited by LazyKnight

people are much like this : 

When you play a racing game with someone who doesn't know much about videogames, and you tell him to choose his car, he will very, very often ask "the fastest"

Except Soma is superior to Gorgon in almost every way. Not just one aspect. 

The problem is, if they buff the Gorgon we will suffer from the Grineer very very much .__.

Also not necessarily true. Our Dera was buffed but the Crewman's stayed the same. 

Also not necessarily true. Our Dera was buffed but the Crewman's stayed the same. 

You are true x) 

I can't wait until they give STALKER a Soma.

The screams will be ENDLESS! I remember back when he had a Braton that fired as fast as a Viper. OUCHTIME.

Talking about the Viper, I tested the new dual wraith on stalky and he didn't like it :D

If it was like fallout 3 were you could have thousands of rounds in your ammo pool I wouldn't care about accuracy. It is just gorgon's limited clip and ammo pool that makes street clearing problematic. I prefer chain feed mini-guns personally, and because of that i didn't ever realy like the feel of Gorgon.

Gorgon's main issue is clip size, 540 bullets total are ok. If you need more there are ammo restore gears. And of course a decent secondary weapon to deal with stuff when machinegunning them would be wasteful.

Btw, Fallout 3 had weightless ammo but miniguns (laser or bullet) had 240 bullet clip and a significant reload time.

The problem is, if they buff the Gorgon we will suffer from the Grineer very very much .__.

Heavy gunners aren't using the same weapon stats, only the same weapon model.

I wouldn't mind having the poor girls buffed a bit though. That's a heavy after all.

I wouldn't mind having the poor girls buffed a bit though. That's a heavy after all.

When I started playing, they were the only heavy Grineer, and now when I see them after a Lotus spam "HEAVY GRINEER APPROACHING, STAY FOCUSED" (ten times at least) I just tell myself "haha, no Napalm this time, I'm safe."