Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Just Stop With Realism.

DHKany

While this doesn't pertain to any weapon in particular, I think it's important that people get this one fact sorted out.

Warframe =/= Realistic

which means that

Warframe Universe Weapons =/= IRL weapons and their properties

SEVERAL times I've read arguments for both nerfs and buffs with "realism" as their main claim. Well, for one you're playing a game that has space ninjas defying physics shooting/slicing the crap out of cloned humanoids, a mega corporation with several assortments of combat robots and space zombies. To top it off you wield weapons ranging from a glaive that miraculously doesn't cut off your hand every other throw to a biological rifle that shoots out electricity. 

The very fact that you are bringing "realism" in a setting like this is already ludicrous. 

Also it's a freakin video game. If you want realistic guns, go outside to a shooting range or if you just want a simulator play Arma. Video games are an outlet for us from reality, a place where we can do absurd things that we can't do in real life. They are meant to be stress relievers, not the world we live on a screen. 

We play to have fun, simple as that. Not to be realistic. 

So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!

Before even BRINGING realism as a legitimate point for a buff/nerf/change THINK. THINK VERY CAREFULLY. Because, believe me realism in video games is a lot less fun that you think it is. 

Balance isn't about weapons adhering to their IRL archetypes, IT'S ABOUT BALANCING WEAPONS WITHIN THE SETTINGS OF THE GAME ITSELF.

So if something is overpowered, and DE decides to rightfully nerf it (i.e Brakk), DON'T bring arguments like "shotguns don't have damage fall off IRL", or "Shotguns are actually effective at over 50 feet IRL." 

Bring LEGITIMATE arguments that make sense from a gameplay standpoint like, "the spread is too wide, making it too much of a CQC weapon" or "It's damage fall off is too abrupt making the gun too jarring to use, make it have a more gradual damage fall off" etc. 

-Kany

This is one of those times where I quote Arthur C. Clarke's three laws of prediction.

• When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
  • The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
  • Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Basically if there's no explanation for how something in Warframe could work "realistically" just tack on the label "Space Ninja Magic" and be done with it. All that needs saying after that point is that its technology is so advanced that it defies reality as we perceive it.

A lot of times when I suggest a change due to gameplay someone will say "that's not realistic!"

And then later on when I suggest a change due to realism someone will say "that's not good for gameplay!"

I find it quite difficult to suggest anything on these forums and I highly doubt that will change, so I now just give just feedback.

Yes I do believe when people use the term realism that it is mostly based on the Warframe universe realism and not our own. Well this is how I perceive it and I am sure others as well. It would be close to to impossible anyway to compare Warframe realism to our own -shurgs- but I do understand where you are getting to OP.

Grineer, Corpus, and Infested are rather quite realistic. We do have zombies in real life, but currently the fungi has not evolved enough to infect humans yet like it does in the game "The Last of us"

Throwing a glaive is more or less similar to the currently researched system of remote control tanks via special devices built into the human brain, or suit. It is possible the user/Tenno could have a neural synapse system built into the warframe, and the glaive (not the same as the biological living one in Dark Sector that Hayden had 100% control of, and could suck it back into his body) Allowing the Tenno to control the spin, and can align their own body with perfect timing to grab the glaive perfectly every time without cutting themselves. As if an extension of themselves. A scientific mechanical version of a biological system that Hayden used.

There is plenty of realism... Where realism fails is when it comes face to face with the void. Everything Void related is beyond all logical reasoning. Outside of that... Well its fair game for plenty of argumentive warfare.

Not sure about you guys, but whenever I see realistic come up in an argument it is shortly followed by an example of the here and now (such as shotguns). 

Rarely do I see people refer to the realism of warframe, when they say realism. 

Also @ Arlayn, 

no, there really isn't any realism in Warframe. Your entire explanation of the Glaive mechanic is more or less fan sci-fi crafting, and the factions in this current day and age are nothing more than that as well. Full scale, metamorphosis-on-a-humanoid type infection doesn't exist afaik, and Grineer and Corpus with their seemingly never ending supply of Clones of Clones/Bipedal Robots is a pretty far cry from our current situation of realism. 

A lot of times when I suggest a change due to gameplay someone will say "that's not realistic!"

And then later on when I suggest a change due to realism someone will say "that's not good for gameplay!"

I find it quite difficult to suggest anything on these forums and I highly doubt that will change, so I now just give just feedback.

Yeah, too bad good games cant have good communities.

I get that this game is fiction, and that realism doesn't play a huge factor, but, as with any fiction, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

I suspect that this is a "plz dont nerf my penta/ogris ammo" post. Carrying 540 explosive rounds is utter nonsense, nearly on par with the old "We should have a tileset on the sun's surface with level 1000 sun monster enemies!" threads.

Gameplay perspective, though. Assuming you magically never have to reload, the Penta (fastest explosive weapon) takes nine minutes to empty at base, with each piece of ammo dealing far more damage over a far larger area than any other piece of ammo in the game. You think that's justifiable by "It doesn't have to be realistic"?

@random, from what i read in the op, this doesn't have to do with the ogri/penta threads, but more so along the lines of people hiding behind unrealistic arguments, based on realism.

just a guess anyway, im no mind reader.

Edited by ObviousLee

@random, from what i read in the op, this doesn't have to do with the ogri/penta threads, but more so along the lines of people hiding behind unrealistic arguments, based on realism.

just a guess anyway, im no mind reader.

Realism tends to be only brought up in the penta/ogris/torid discussions, which have been something of a minor trend over the past few weeks. I'm assuming that he made the thread in response to those discussions, but I could be wrong.

He did put it in the Weapons Feedback thread, though, so he was definitely referring to something.

Edited by SortaRandom

Realism tends to be only brought up in the penta/ogris/torid discussions, which have been something of a minor trend over the past few weeks. I'm assuming that he made the thread in response to those discussions, but I could be wrong.

He did put it in the Weapons Feedback thread, though, so he was definitely referring to something.

i feel ya, and i can agree, however i was reading the nerf threads about the ogris and penta and the OP made a comment about how realism for current real-world tech shouldn't be applied in this game, and i think it was that initial post that spawned this thread.

I was referring to weapons discussions in general with people whining about shotguns being too "unrealistic in this game" and people whining about how IRL weapons are this and that so why warframe weapons aren't this and that. 

The thread isn't from a single nerf/whine thread, it's from multiple that I've seen throughout my time here. 

Just as an FYI, I fully support reeling the Ogris and the Penta back in from their current loliwin status. 

Edited by DHKany

I was referring to weapons discussions in general with people whining about shotguns being too "unrealistic in this game" and people whining about how IRL weapons are this and that so why warframe weapons aren't this and that. 

The thread isn't from a single nerf/whine thread, it's from multiple that I've seen throughout my time here. 

Just as an FYI, I fully support reeling the Ogris and the Penta back in from their current loliwin status. 

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. XD