Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur Chavant Maquette: Wip!

DOXOlove

it doesnt help that I havent filled in that area until now, LOL

the end is nigh, I need to have this presentable by weds. Base wont be done but the armor should be blocked in by then (also someone destroyed my Skana so I have to remodel it). It's been a living hell this week, already put 45 hours into this this last week alone, still have a good 15-20 left, everything aches :/

44.jpg45.jpg46.jpg

3/13/2014 - tertiary detail is 80% complete on Excalibur, so I started to block in the infested Charger. :)

will finish this up shortly after my other finals are done!

47.jpg48.jpg49.jpg

This is the 1st time I'm so attracted to a man's body even though I'm straight.

Michaelangelo's sculptures must drive you nuts, yeah?

I understand why it would be done, it just doesn't seem necessary for something this size, unless you had to do it for class credit or were going to display it on a roof I guess lol.

...which would probably be a good idea to scare away the ninja pidgeons pooping on your roof :P

Edited by DarkTails

I understand why it would be done, it just doesn't seem necessary for something this size, unless you had to do it for class credit or were going to display it on a roof I guess lol.

...which would probably be a good idea to scare away the ninja pidgeons pooping on your roof :P

spacial distortion happens in as little as two feet away from this thing! It's really meant to be seen in person, photos thus far have not been flattering :( The hand resting on the gun's digit length does bug me, I might retune it later but is not a real focal dillema, haha.

Thanks everyone! Got to block more of the Charger today and will start working on it again after Sunday when my finals are over :D

Several weeks ago I was fiddling with an Excalibur Orthographic (maybe some people remember!), and that was for this maquette project for a sculpture class I'm taking!

Also a hugehuge thank you to DE's lead artists for entertaining my request for their own orthographics, it really means a lot to me that you'd help me out with that!! While I will still use the drawing I did for basic form proportion, I'm def using DE's orthos for accurate detailing. I hope I can do him justice :)

Sculpting with medium Chavant Plasticine (basically a clay with high 'wax' content), he's a little over 20 inches in height (~1/4 scale).

Orthograph (drawn by me) :

orthoexca.jpg

ortho was printed to scale, so now I have this awesome 35"x45" poster I use for form blocking. :D

WIP shots: (sorry for bad phone photos! will take better ones when its more 'finished')

Armature-

basic hardware store nipples and connectors, soft wires of various gauges, copper sliding rods and epoxy. The best thing about this particular armature is it has 100% mannequin pose-ability with all joints!

1.jpg2.jpg

Skeletal form-

First go at skeletal form before we had an extensive apex lecture;

3.jpg5.jpg

Silhouette frame blocking-

Working on it this week-- This is going to drastically change, but getting the feel for the form! was trying to fiddle with armor texture a bit but I'm probably gunna take that off and just do the basic muscle forms for now :p

6.jpg

Excalibur will be holding an MK-Braton 1 on his shoulder at some point and his Skana in the other. If I have time I'm going to be sculpting a quick infested form he's stepping over ;p

This is about 40 hours of work so far, will post more photos as I progress! Really loving working with chavant a lot!

1/31/2014-

Thanks everyone! Had another 6 hour marathon today, this is what I got done :)

7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

Still form blocking and leaving obvious bony landmarks. Still have to finish the arms and refine the legs (front view looks too slim) until I like the silhouettes :v

2/2/2014-

another 8 hour marathon, hhhhave most of it blocked in now!

Arm, leg, and oblique mass are my current problem children but I am way too exhausted to get those fixed until next weeks lecture. 9_6

10.jpg11.jpg

its getting there at least!

2/7/2014 -

12.jpg13.jpg

He's getting a shave! ;D Had to whack his lats off because they were mis-aligned, but theyre going back on after a few adjustments! Adding in proper apexes and symmetry, still have to finish up the legs and arms and lats.

Instructors are teaching us how to sculpt a 'mean &#!', so do not worry, the booty will be immaculate.

2/8/2014 - 16 hours of work on this this week, legs are starting to look less stupid;

16.jpg17.jpg

booty game almost at critical mass

2/11/2014 - Its that time of the week again!

Really starting to understand tendon groups, lats/traps/delts/biceps had complete re-hauls (still need work...), obliques evened out, gluteus medius toned down a bit (It was super huge LOL)

18-1.jpg19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg

2/17/2014- say hello to my entire monday afternoon!

22.jpg23.jpg24.jpg25.jpg

hilt was modified for hand-holding purposes on the sculpture :U

2/22/2014- [Link!] 2/26/2014-[Link!] 3/2/2014-[Link!] 3/7/2014-[Link!] 3/13/2014-[Link!] if you have any questions about clay or the process I'd be happy to answer as well!

Just.. Wow. Great work! +1

3/13/2014 - tertiary detail is 80% complete on Excalibur, so I started to block in the infested Charger. :)

will finish this up shortly after my other finals are done!

47.jpg48.jpg49.jpg

This is beautiful it has so much detail it almost looks exactly like the in-game design. You must have put a lot of work into this.

This is bloody gorgeous. I especially enjoy the details on the toes and knee so far. I don't know much about clay modeling, how do you keep it moist? How do you store it? What kind of care is required once the model is done? Do you bake it? Everything seems so delicate, especially the Skana.

In a way, I suppose that is fitting, considering how often he is torn asunder in promotional content. hah.

This is bloody gorgeous. I especially enjoy the details on the toes and knee so far. I don't know much about clay modeling, how do you keep it moist? How do you store it? What kind of care is required once the model is done? Do you bake it? Everything seems so delicate, especially the Skana.

In a way, I suppose that is fitting, considering how often he is torn asunder in promotional content. hah.

The clay I'm using is oil based Plastelline called Chavant (medium)! It's basically more wax-y feeling than clay, but melts at a certain temperature into a buttery paste, all the way down to a molten liquid. Chavant 'dries' and holds its shape out in the world but will melt if exposed to high temperatures again.

Its exactly like a wax candle, it will be solid but if youve ever put enough pressure on one it starts to get soft in your hands :>

I might make a mold for this for resin or bronze casting, but both are exceedingly expensive :(

We'll see what happens!