Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Petition To Fix Continuous Weapons

Ribboz

• 3 weeks later...

They used to work like that, and they were seriously OP.

I would like to see them work like that again...but it would involve a direct damage nerf.  To which the actual outcome would be nearly the same DPS but most of you babies would make 50 million cry threads.

They used to work like that, and they were seriously OP.

I would like to see them work like that again...but it would involve a direct damage nerf.  To which the actual outcome would be nearly the same DPS but most of you babies would make 50 million cry threads.

If they were op then just tweak them. Don't change the entire foundation of how they function. That was half the reason I created this thread.

DE thought they had a problem. Rather than fix the problem they rebuilt how the weapons function. It was the wrong decision.

This issue has really confused me.

here are other guns with fire rates many times faster than the damage ticks on continuous fire weapons. Are continuous weapons seriously not just a graphical difference? Why is each tick not just an invisible, hitscan projectile? If it is, then they could proc their damage as fast as twin wraith vipers with maxed out gunslinger.

This issue has really confused me.

here are other guns with fire rates many times faster than the damage ticks on continuous fire weapons. Are continuous weapons seriously not just a graphical difference? Why is each tick not just an invisible, hitscan projectile? If it is, then they could proc their damage as fast as twin wraith vipers with maxed out gunslinger.

This.  The justification for the initial change to continuous weapons does not hold water.  They were changed to get rid of the numbers fountain.  Why is is so terrible for continuous fire weapons to have a numbers fountain but perfectly ok for bullet hoses like the soma to have a numbers fountain?

Continuous fire weapons now share the worst of both worlds between low damage high rof weapons and high damage low rof weapons.  They need to continuously track a target over the course of many hits to inflict enough damage for a kill, but the delayed damage tick results in ammo wasteful overkills.  High damage weapons also tend to overkill their targets, but they are both ammo efficient and can score that kill in an instant snap-shot...something continuous weapons can't do because they consume ammo like high rof weapons and need to wait for the damage tick to catch up to their hits. 

When these downsides are compounded with the hard-limit on engagement range, it is immediately obvious to the most casual  observer that the continuous fire trait is nothing but a disadvantage to the user.  Some weapons like the synapse have the raw stats to overcome the inherent disadvantage of being continuous fire, but most weapons are not that lucky.

DE, do the obvious and smart thing.  Revert the changes and bring back the old continuous fire numbers fountain.

This.  The justification for the initial change to continuous weapons does not hold water.  They were changed to get rid of the numbers fountain.  Why is is so terrible for continuous fire weapons to have a numbers fountain but perfectly ok for bullet hoses like the soma to have a numbers fountain?

Continuous fire weapons now share the worst of both worlds between low damage high rof weapons and high damage low rof weapons.  They need to continuously track a target over the course of many hits to inflict enough damage for a kill, but the delayed damage tick results in ammo wasteful overkills.  High damage weapons also tend to overkill their targets, but they are both ammo efficient and can score that kill in an instant snap-shot...something continuous weapons can't do because they consume ammo like high rof weapons and need to wait for the damage tick to catch up to their hits. 

When these downsides are compounded with the hard-limit on engagement range, it is immediately obvious to the most casual  observer that the continuous fire trait is nothing but a disadvantage to the user.  Some weapons like the synapse have the raw stats to overcome the inherent disadvantage of being continuous fire, but most weapons are not that lucky.

DE, do the obvious and smart thing.  Revert the changes and bring back the old continuous fire numbers fountain.

Thank you for explaining it so well. :)

Yes but no one titled their thread with the word "Petition" :D

The best we can do is tell them what we want/think and hope they consider it.

Everyone uses petition, and Im @(*()$ sick of it. Since no one seems to understand what a petition is. WHen you are making this thread it is a suggestion or request, not a piece of paper I can sign. @(*()$ hell

Everyone uses petition, and Im @(*()$ sick of it. Since no one seems to understand what a petition is. WHen you are making this thread it is a suggestion or request, not a piece of paper I can sign. @(*()$ hell

Calm down dude.

Also did you check the date I made that comment? It was well before people starting using the word petition.

I'd like just as much damage exposure as you suggest, as well as the option to hide those numbers from popping up entirely (but without turning off the HUD completely, as I like to know how much health I have, not so much the damage i deal)

If the problem was the number streams coming out of enemies then revert to the continuous damage and have the damage numbers only pop up for continuous weapons once a second, or some other arbitrary number. An option to disable damage/affinity gain numbers is sorely needed.

I personally liked the stream of numbers, it's how I imagined a continuous fire weapon would damage something anyway... not in big chunks.

Edited by AliasailA

We've covered this before.  DE's "We wanted to get rid of the numbers fountain" explanation doesn't hold water since pretty much EVERY automatic weapon in the game is a numbers fountain that throws up numbers at a crazy fast rate.  If DE really wanted to get rid of the numbers fountains in this game, then they should get to work on reducing the soma's ROF by 9000%

At the end of the day, the change to continuous fire weapons was a strict nerf.

Edited by GeneralArmchair