Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Petition To Fix Continuous Weapons

Ribboz

All DE would need to fix the damage number clouds, is to display the damage in sums, instead of an on hit basis.

So instead of seeing a bunch of 69-s floating off the enemy, you would see a continously growing number on it, which flashes yellow on a critical hit, or maybe the critical hits/procks damage floats up from the summed damage.

The game already handles the damage in real time in some way. Most likely by substracting it from a health number. All DE would have to do is to display the number substracted from the health, than sum the next on on to it and so on.

And just like that, no more damage clouds with ANY weapon.

So instead of seeing a bunch of 69-s floating off the enemy, you would see a continously growing number on it, which flashes yellow on a critical hit, or maybe the critical hits/procks damage floats up from the summed damage.

I'm okay with showing number once in a second (or half-second or whatever). The problem is it looks like the damage applies to enemy once is that time interval. Like I could kill enemy in 0.2sec (wasting 3 bullets), but I need to wait for 1sec (wasting 15 bullets). That fixed intervals make continuous guns feel really sluggish and ammo-inefficient.

Edited by AlienOvermind

I'm okay with showing number once in a second (or half-second or whatever). The problem is it looks like the damage applies to enemy once is that time interval. Like I could kill enemy in 0.2sec (wasting 3 bullets), but I need to wait for 1sec (wasting 15 bullets). That fixed intervals make continuous guns feel really sluggish and ammo-inefficient.

Yes it does do damage on a /second basis. But what I mean is that damage is still being counted in real time, only it gets compiled into a single number every second AND THEN applied to the enemie. "So it looks pretty."

The problem is, that the game only applies the damage AFTER it counted it for a second. But if the game sums it into a single number, than why couldnt it be placed back into real time? It can only count the damage, by taking it on a /tick basis, and buffering it for a second (unless they changed it, in which case the weapons don't deal the real damage they should). So why not just NOT buffer it, but apply it while counting it /tick, and displaying it in a sumed number, that is the same you would see every second anyways.

No big cluster of damage number clouds AND the damage would be dealt in a /tick basis again.

Edited by Recel

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment here. I wanted to thank everyone involved in this thread. Really I mean it. 90% of my experience in forums has always turned into a downward battle. I was genuinely surprised by our community in this thread. Thank you giving me a little hope. :D

Sadly, DE is destroying my hope. Not going to derail my own thread. We know what those problems are. >:|

But you all must stay strong. When someone does something bad you must stand strong against them. Don't bend the knee and accept it. Stay strong not just for yourself but for your gamer brethren and future little gamers. Let companies know we will not accept this treatment.

Again thank you everyone involved in this thread. You have given me hope. :D

• 4 weeks later...

oh lookit, reviving thread time!

(regarding the petition): so THAT is why ppl say continuous weapons were broken back in U11, i already had my ignis back then, so i know how it was before the change, but for some reason i never noticed dmg was now applied on a per-second basis, yhea it is pretty dumb, i thought stuff was still happenning on a per-tick basis and it was just them showing the numbers on a per-second basis like Recel up there suggested.

indeed this could use a change, not to mention they didn't really do anything for number clouds if that was their objective, things like the dera, soma, gorgon and pretty much any shotgun (specially the boars) not only cause number clouds, they are way bigger than continuous weapons had, and noone seems to have any problem with that.

• 3 weeks later...

well, perhaps its time to give up?

its probably just too hard to code, not enough people are bothered by it and its possible that many little numbers cause lag (they removed the Acrid dots number spam)

there are literally 1000s of tiny bugs, and issues that need little tweaks, some that have more game changing issues that a slight delay on when damage is dealt with only 5 weapons

Going back and adding Polish to old content "vs" Adding new content that makes money and brings in / keeps players.

interesting to notice in the Code of conduct on the forum:

"7) BUMPING - it is not condoned, but all cases of bumping issues will be handled case by case determined by the nature of the thread."

Edited by Tatersail

Never surrender, nerver give up.

I do not think that it is too hard to code, because: It was already in game and with the whole Quest, ship, pet, .. stuff DE showed us that they can do business.

Yes, they are few in numbers but at the moment we can not use the weapons to their full potential.

We are bothered by it, we want change, we want: our continuous weapons back!

Why does the Flux rifle deal slash damage anyway? It's supposed to be a high powered laser welding device that cuts through armor and spaceships like butter.

I'm sorry what? We have Puncture, Impact and Slash. What do you think a Light Saber - which is practically what a Flux Rifle on full power being swung about is - if not a Slash with Burn weapon.

And also, energy weapons don't "cut through metal like butter". We (technically) have a portable device with a battery, and energy delivered is based on that battery. You can point a laser pointer at a stick of butter all day, but with 1 mW, it won't do anything, and a portable 5000W Flux Rifle pointed at Spaceship Hull that can handle cannon particle blasts from OTHER spaceships is going to feel the same.

Yes, yes, you want the Flux Rifle to be badass, but you can't just say "make it so" because you reckon "it should be".

Never surrender, nerver give up.

I do not think that it is too hard to code, because: It was already in game and with the whole Quest, ship, pet, .. stuff DE showed us that they can do business.

Yes, they are few in numbers but at the moment we can not use the weapons to their full potential.

We are bothered by it, we want change, we want: our continuous weapons back!

Unless DE tells us how the EXACT mechanic works we are clutching straws.

If the game just tracked how long a flux beam stays on something, and the moment contact ends, was to pop up a number, that is all that is necessary. Jut because every one want some personal instant gratification in the forms of spewing numbers is not enough to complain.

You can't expect the game to track damage in exact fractions of seconds without some lag being developed, so DE probably did some corner cutting.

Has anyone actually done any testing, say in a PvP (Dojo for example) match to see how the actual damage is applied if say, very short bursts and continuous beams are applied, before starting a witch hunt?

I just hate giant numbers in games with level progression. I'll take a stream of small numbers over a gigantic number any day.

Do you understand the concept of DPS? A weapon showing a barrage of tiny numbers is a pointless tool, it would also need to show how much damage it applied over a full second in order to compare it to something else.

When shooting a dummy, Dungeon Defenders shows streams of small numbers and then every seconds also gives you a DPS number. As much as I would hate my Ninja game having such ugly kludges in game, such "dummies" might be the only way to shut people up.

As long as the damage IS applied correctly, the pop up numbers are irrelevant, and are only for people with short attention spans. The stupid numbers actually impair vision and block sight to targets. It's almost like seeing people complaining that they are peeing against a lamp post and are not happy because the lamp post is not getting visibly wet.

The only time numbers - or a visual feedback equivalent - is TRULY needed, is when we are shooting something and it's invulnerable or has damage mitigation, etc etc

Edited by DSpite

Do you understand the concept of DPS? A weapon showing a barrage of tiny numbers is a pointless tool, it would also need to show how much damage it applied over a full second in order to compare it to something else.

When shooting a dummy, Dungeon Defenders shows streams of small numbers and then every seconds also gives you a DPS number. As much as I would hate my Ninja game having such ugly kludges in game, such "dummies" might be the only way to shut people up.

As long as the damage IS applied correctly, the pop up numbers are irrelevant, and are only for people with short attention spans. The stupid numbers actually impair vision and block sight to targets. It's almost like seeing people complaining that they are peeing against a lamp post and are not happy because the lamp post is not getting visibly wet.

The only time numbers - or a visual feedback equivalent - is TRULY needed, is when we are shooting something and it's invulnerable or has damage mitigation, etc etc

Nice idea with the dummy/ Dungeon Defenders! A nice example of a game which has working continuous weapons, at least of my experience. 

Yeah, the problem is not the lack of numbers, this is a personal opinion, but the appliance of damage.

No, I have not tried it in PVP or the Dojo (to mention your earlier post), because I fight PvE and there I see/ feel it:

-Shorts bursts work good or even correct

-Longer bursts or event continuous firering works bad, because only every X tick damage is applied but every second ammo is drained

= They need a fix because

1. quite a lot of ammo is wasted and no damage done (overall)

2. more important, in some cases (strong) enemies live one tick "to long" and are able to execute a move/ shoot one more time: With enemies like some MOAs, Ancients and Heavies (where every milisecond can count) this is not acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

It is maybe not the solution we have hoped for, but a step in the right direction (if I dare to say so):

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/288724-psa-weapon-changes-sniper-rifles-launchers/page-44#entry3300879

If the flux is going to use ammo like the Quanta or Phage (which is quite slow/ efficient), it will be a fair trade for now and could possibly called "a fix".

It is maybe not the solution we have hoped for, but a step in the right direction (if I dare to say so):

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/288724-psa-weapon-changes-sniper-rifles-launchers/page-44#entry3300879

If the flux is going to use ammo like the Quanta or Phage (which is quite slow/ efficient), it will be a fair trade for now and could possibly called "a fix".

I could careless how ammo efficient or how much damage it gets bumped up when it still feels awkward to use. If a weapon don't feels right, its no fun playing with it.

• 3 weeks later...