The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infested 2.0: New Units And Improvements To Old Ones [Wip]

Paradoxbomb

No problem man, glad something of mine is actually liked :P

I like your new Ancient designs, especially healer; that's a nice design. Your disruptor looks a lot like my new one I am going to post here soon, it's nice to see how it would possibly look with color.

I went a little overboard on crawlers and updated the existing ones in game and made some new ones each with their corresponding faction weapons we use. For example, Electric crawler will have the Synapse integrated in it's design, and new crawler (made out of  mangled Grineer bits) will have a Tysis integrated etc. They are all very spider like :3.

I'm also drawing a different kind of Charger that utilizes explosive barrels making it an organic ranged trebuchette. Somewhat durable but rare unit which is easier to take out by shooting the barrel.

Yeah, the Disruptor was inspired by that very same conversation we had about making the stalks on it's back look like a Jacob's Ladder. And a Tysis crawler sounds pretty nasty, constantly degrading your armor (good thing warframe armor is worthless anyway :) ). A charger with an explosive barrel sounds a bit over-the-top though, perhaps it would be more sensible for it to lob some kind of explosive glob or spore?

Although it does make me think how cool it would be if there was a brute infested that could pick up and throw objects like barrels (probably wouldn't happen though since not much is done with physics or environmental hazards in this game).

A charger with an explosive barrel sounds a bit over-the-top though, perhaps it would be more sensible for it to lob some kind of explosive glob or spore?

Eh not really, if you consider it's rareness (think Commander Grineer) and the fact you can kill it and the creatures around it by shooting the barrel it's more of a Win/Lose situation unit. If you notice it and let it group up with the others and adon't allow it to get in range you can use the unit as a CC utility. Don't see it and well you'll get a nasty barrel lobbed at you from a distance. 

I don't see it as a problem due to the fact it can only fire a single barrel 1 time only and the barrels projectile speed as it arcs towards you is very slow and easy to dodge. Once it fires it's barrel it becomes your average Charger only with 3 constant melee attacks instead of 2.

Eh not really, if you consider it's rareness (think Commander Grineer) and the fact you can kill it and the creatures around it by shooting the barrel it's more of a Win/Lose situation unit. If you notice it and let it group up with the others and adon't allow it to get in range you can use the unit as a CC utility. Don't see it and well you'll get a nasty barrel lobbed at you from a distance. 

I don't see it as a problem due to the fact it can only fire a single barrel 1 time only and the barrels projectile speed as it arcs towards you is very slow and easy to dodge. Once it fires it's barrel it becomes your average Charger only with 3 constant melee attacks instead of 2.

Oh no I didn't mean over-the-top gameplay wise, I just meant aesthetically it seems a little silly to have a living infested catapult that throws explosive barrels rather than some kind of organic explosive.

It would be foolish for DE to ignore this topic.

Unfortunately, I think they already are.

Hopefully not, but with thousands of threads to go through a day we can only be patient.

They can't ignore me forever...

EDIT: I'll admit though I don't see too much dev activity in Fan Concepts, unless I always miss them or something.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Oh no I didn't mean over-the-top gameplay wise, I just meant aesthetically it seems a little silly to have a living infested catapult that throws explosive barrels rather than some kind of organic explosive.

Well I mean c'mon, all that absorbed matter and minds they have converted into joining their forces they shouldn't be that mindless.(I mean, they develop their own weapons) I'd expect them to at least make use of something that's practically Tenno kryptonite (Blast proc knockdowns) that's littered EVERYWHERE.

Well I mean c'mon, all that absorbed matter and minds they have converted into joining their forces they shouldn't be that mindless.(I mean, they develop their own weapons) I'd expect them to at least make use of something that's practically Tenno kryptonite (Blast proc knockdowns) that's littered EVERYWHERE.

I'm not saying they're mindless, it just seems to me that the more highly evolved infested would most likely form/produce their own weaponry or explosive objects rather than carry explosive barrels around. Though again, I wouldn't mind seeing infested that could pick up crates or barrels as makeshift projectiles if DE was willing get fancy with their physics engine.

I'm not saying they're mindless, it just seems to me that the more highly evolved infested would most likely form/produce their own weaponry or explosive objects rather than carry explosive barrels around. Though again, I wouldn't mind seeing infested that could pick up crates or barrels as makeshift projectiles if DE was willing get fancy with their physics engine.

Eh i doubt they'll even reach that, I mean the gibs still are just spherical balls with a different model. 

Hek we even don't have a turning animation yet or octagonal models OR real time foot placement which I've been desperately vouching for about a year now.

Atleast Warframes are getting cloth physics I guess :\

It be awesome if DE could hire at home player designers like you.

I really liked the Ancient Warrior, and the Toxin, Disruptor, and Healer re skins/ Rework

I'll admit being a concept artist would be pretty sweet, too bad I'm just trying to survive college Calculus right now. Glad you think the designs look good though, drawing Ancients is kinda tricky.

I'll admit being a concept artist would be pretty sweet, too bad I'm just trying to survive college Calculus right now. Glad you think the designs look good though, drawing Ancients is kinda tricky.

Yes, That right arm injected with Squid steroids...

I perticularly like about this concept is how you directly tie the enemy back into what it was before it became infected.

Also for an infested 2.0 play style. I think it should be more of a Dead Space like when a horde will occasionally pop out rather than a constant onslaught.

I perticularly like about this concept is how you directly tie the enemy back into what it was before it became infected.

Also for an infested 2.0 play style. I think it should be more of a Dead Space like when a horde will occasionally pop out rather than a constant onslaught.

That is a very good idea. I was thinking along the lines of that or the longer you stay the more infested spawn drowning out the player (but only spawning of light units such as runners and crawlers).

That would work particularly well in DE's favor since every map is entirely random whereas Dead Space (good as it was) had scripted encounters that you kinda memorized after a few playthroughs. If Infested were able to jump out of vents every now and then it could be a legitimate scare since you would never know when specifically it's going to happen due to the randomness of every level.

This is technically how I imagined Leapers would work, but it could apply to other units as well.

That is a very good idea. I was thinking along the lines of that or the longer you stay the more infested spawn drowning out the player (but only spawning of light units such as runners and crawlers).

That is a great adaptation for defense and survival. But I think it should be more than just light enemies. Infact there should be less light enemies. I personally think that because I like playing against more than just troopers and lancers when playing Grineer or more than just crewman and MOA and shield osprey. I think it would be better to add enemies that you must approach differently than just point and shoot.

That would work particularly well in DE's favor since every map is entirely random whereas Dead Space (good as it was) had scripted encounters that you kinda memorized after a few playthroughs. If Infested were able to jump out of vents every now and then it could be a legitimate scare since you would never know when specifically it's going to happen due to the randomness of every level.

This is technically how I imagined Leapers would work, but it could apply to other units as well.

Yes the randomness would defenetly be pro. I was thinking along the lines of you are walking down a hall and a group of chargers and brutal chargers appear at both ends then leapers jump on you while the chargers rush. Also something like the doors suddenly lock down, windows burst inward draining your shields, leapers pour in from the window as fliers also come through. Before you can react you are being bombarded with psychic bolts, you turn around and see 3 acients approaching, you swivle around to retreat to cover but horde of chargers and runners are that way. That's what I'm looking for, that kind of pants S#&$ting action.

Paradox when you starting a Corpus unit thread?

Don't know if I'll be starting one anytime soon, hadn't crossed my mind, and off the top of my head I don't really have anything in mind for them. So it's more of an "if" than a "when" and probably not for a while (if at all).

EDIT: Although Hyenas as heavy units and Sniper Crewmen with cloaking devices are two things I would like to see.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Don't know if I'll be starting one anytime soon, hadn't crossed my mind, and off the top of my head I don't really have anything in mind for them. So it's more of an "if" than a "when" and probably not for a while (if at all).  Although Hyenas as heavy units and Sniper Crewmen with cloaking devices are two things I would like to see.

Alright. Well if you do what I have in mind is all crewman just to be scrapped as soldiers and used as workers. Armed with the welding tool spectra repairing proxies. Some of them can be on the battle field and pose a major threat because they can fix downed proxies.

Also, more proxies. I'd like to see way more Robots. Bipeds and Quadrupeds alike following along side Corpus military units; The Corpus Soldiers (Who have much better accuracy with their Deras, they also wield Flux rifles.), Corpus Snipers and Corpus Techs (In an exoskeleton that towers over the Tenno).

This would fix most of the problem with Corpus lore and make the faction a little more serious. Although, I'd like to see Corpus much more organized than Grineer. Like Roman soldiers for example. 

Alright. Well if you do what I have in mind is all crewman just to be scrapped as soldiers and used as workers. Armed with the welding tool spectra repairing proxies. Some of them can be on the battle field and pose a major threat because they can fix downed proxies.

Also, more proxies. I'd like to see way more Robots. Bipeds and Quadrupeds alike following along side Corpus military units; The Corpus Soldiers (Who have much better accuracy with their Deras, they also wield Flux rifles.), Corpus Snipers and Corpus Techs (In an exoskeleton that towers over the Tenno).

This would fix most of the problem with Corpus lore and make the faction a little more serious. Although, I'd like to see Corpus much more organized than Grineer. Like Roman soldiers for example. 

Agreed, there's definitely an odd proxy-to-crewman ratio right now, the crewman should be a lot rarer but have the ability to repair/coordinate MOAs and should more frequently utilize mining/repair tools as makeshift weapons rather than all of them having energy rifles. In later levels you can encounter security Crewman who will use Deras, Tetras, Flux Rifles, etc. and fight alongside stronger, more dangerous proxies.

Also, I know it's been dev confirmed that the Corpus Techs are going to receive a design overhaul in the near future, so hopefully they'll finally get their giant exo-suits.