Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infested 2.0: New Units And Improvements To Old Ones [Wip]

Paradoxbomb

I thought of some boss reworks that would work well with this. I picture Phorid more as a giant lizard-formed creature with a bunch of eyes, and Corrosive breath, instead of fire, because that would be ridiculous for Infested to use fire. And the J3 Golem would just be itself, with modified large Ancient arms. One is shaped kinda like a cannon, and rapidfires Puncture-Poison darts, and the other has cysts that it uses at gas grenades, which cause Corrosive-Viral. Anyone like the idea?

At least WF doesn't have as many tentacles

*Tries the Phage*

OH GOD I WAS WRONG. 

But seriously, someone built an ARMY for tentacles. 

202864_sm.jpg

189430_sm.jpg

182488_md-Army%2C%20Nards%20Tyranids%2C%

I heard you like tentacles...

There are some GOOD Infested ideas on his page. Just not made for infested.

There's never such thing as too much tentacle (*sigh* multishot only adds so many to the Phage). Also that's quite a bit of fancy work. Kudos to him (must've had a lot of free time).

I thought of some boss reworks that would work well with this. I picture Phorid more as a giant lizard-formed creature with a bunch of eyes, and Corrosive breath, instead of fire, because that would be ridiculous for Infested to use fire.

We have Napalms that can generate Snowglobes now, so infested with fire breath wouldn't do much to raise my suspension of disbelief at this point. Also, +1 to bringing J3 back (I need my codex scans).

Weirdly enough it's the smaller stuff that's got me reaching for my ignis. Infestlings? BURN THEM ALL!

KILL IT WITH FIRE

Edited by Paradoxbomb

They also deserve a non key accessible home.

As long as it isn't a planet/moon, I'll be fine with that. Otherwise they feel less like a disease and more like a species, imo. Depending on how they handle the Infested Ship, I'll be fine with it.

They also deserve a non key accessible home.

As long as it isn't a planet/moon, I'll be fine with that. Otherwise they feel less like a disease and more like a species, imo. Depending on how they handle the Infested Ship, I'll be fine with it.

Making the Derelicts less of a hassle to access would also be nice. Putting it on the map was a good start, now they just need to add actual nodes you can click on (even if you still need a key to access them, just streamline it to one key).

Can't wait for the new ship too, hopefully they'll include some new infested units too. Even if it's not any of these suggestions anything new would be great to see.

New ship? Where was this announced?

Aren't they adding a new infested tile-set? I could be wrong, but I think they showed concept art for a new infested space ship during a recent livestream.

EDIT: found it http://youtu.be/r9bQiZv99LA?t=55m48s not coming for a while though according to the video, but still.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Aren't they adding a new infested tile-set? I could be wrong, but I think they showed concept art for a new infested space ship during a recent livestream.

The only one I remember them showing was way before the void was added.

Did they show a new one?

How about some standalone spawn pods, like the ones shot by the "Corpus" head in the Lephantis fight?

Mini-factories that just spew out maybe three Infested every 10-15 seconds, quickly overwhelming anyone who doesn't destroy them first?

The pods could be marked in Exterminate and Defense Wave tallies, while the Infested they spawn would not. They'd be hidden among the scenery, making Exterminates more like hunts.

Edited by Archwizard

Good point. Those things should be capable of appearing outside of the Lephantis fight, maybe not as an "enemy" per se but definitely a part of exterminate or survival missions. May be tricky to get them into defense missions without an enemy to spawn them, I'll have to work on that.

To take it a step further they could overhaul infested Sabotage missions and have you kill one or several Infested Nest minibosses that regularly spawn enemies in addition to having their own attacks.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Good point. Those things should be capable of appearing outside of the Lephantis fight, maybe not as an "enemy" per se but definitely a part of exterminate or survival missions.

I think that'd make Survival missions too easy (why destroy the pods when you can farm them?), unless you also made sure the Infested spawned from the nests had 0% chance to drop loot/O2.

I'm just imagining though, doing a high level endless defense and Wave 70+ just being nests hidden in side rooms, guarded by Ancients.

But yeah, definitely make killing each one like a mini-Sabotage. No health pool on the nests themselves, but on the pods all over them, which all need to be destroyed to kill the whole thing.

Edited by Archwizard

Many of these new units are interesting and would definitely help spice up the infested but i do have a few problems with some of the units. The direct damage immunity from a certain direction would be op and the damage absorption seems rather high. The ancient disrupters radial shockwave is also way to op.

Many of these new units are interesting and would definitely help spice up the infested but i do have a few problems with some of the units. The direct damage immunity from a certain direction would be op and the damage absorption seems rather high. The ancient disrupters radial shockwave is also way to op.

The idea for the Disruptor's shockwave was that while it's been upgraded to an AoE effect, it takes the disruptor a few seconds to actually cast it, giving the player ample time to get out of range. There's also a long delay between casts, similar to how Grineer heavies can't reuse their ground pound or a quite a bit time after the first one. The drain is also no longer permanent, now it's more about briefly leaving you without the ability to nuke the field instead of screwing you over completely. Personally I'd call it much more fair compared to the current iteration, where a love tap from one that snuck up behind you can devastate you, but your not the first to call this one out. If the general consensus is that an AoE is too much, I'll change it.

The point of the damage mitigation being high is to discourage players from just trying to mow down every single enemy thrown their way, it's still possible if your guns are strong enough or you just have a dislike of ammunition, though for higher level content players will have try other approaches than the usual brute force method to kill those particular enemies in the most efficient manner. The values are also flat, so even though they seem high they won't get out of control like Grineer armor. Although the Phalanx taking 0% damage from the front seems to be hit or miss: it is indeed meant to be a tricky enemy that requires players to either work together to take down or, if solo, use their weapons/abilities to distract and flank, and although you could argue that even if it didn't have any armor it wouldn't matter much since it absorbs incoming bullets from the front anyway, as with the disruptor I'll reconsider such a high penalty if it receives too much negative feedback.

Sorry if sound adamant, I do appreciate the feedback, it's good to hear what people don't like as well what they do.

-SNIP-.

I just doubt units with the abiltity to take 0% damage from a certain direction would fit with Warframe due to how it is played. I think that if implented advanced units like the Phalanx should only appear on the orokin derelicts at least. I have also given the disruptor shockwave some after thought and have reconsidered its status. Its not op and does actually not sound so bad after all. Also when you says it takes the disruptor a few seconds to cast it how long do you mean? Are we talking shockwave moa time?

Also dont worry about sounding adamant. What you have here is a good concept and you are just doing some good arguing as to why you believe it would be the right change.

I just doubt units with the abiltity to take 0% damage from a certain direction would fit with Warframe due to how it is played. I think that if implented advanced units like the Phalanx should only appear on the orokin derelicts at least. I have also given the disruptor shockwave some after thought and have reconsidered its status. Its not op and does actually not sound so bad after all. Also when you says it takes the disruptor a few seconds to cast it how long do you mean? Are we talking shockwave moa time?

Also dont worry about sounding adamant. What you have here is a good concept and you are just doing some good arguing as to why you believe it would be the right change.

You have to remember anything with punch through damage would go through these barriers, Either way it wouldn't really be that hard to get behind it. Also Warframe powers would also go through these barriers. I think they are just fine really as long as they aren't spammable and have a very long cool down time between uses. 

I have also given the disruptor shockwave some after thought and have reconsidered its status. Its not op and does actually not sound so bad after all. Also when you says it takes the disruptor a few seconds to cast it how long do you mean? Are we talking shockwave moa time?

I can't say the exact amount of time that would have to pass, I guess somewhere between Shockwave MOAs' attack and the Grineer Heavies' ground pound. So plenty of time to take them down before they can generate a second disruption wave, as long as you're paying attention.

You have to remember anything with punch through damage would go through these barriers, Either way it wouldn't really be that hard to get behind it. Also Warframe powers would also go through these barriers. I think they are just fine really as long as they aren't spammable and have a very long cool down time between uses. 

The ability of Punch Through to bypass their armor is also something I forgot to mention. The Phalanx's armor essentially makes it the rough equivalent of a very large shield lancer, so yeah, that would also be a way to bypass it's defenses, sort of. As long as you don't feed it's absorption attack.

EDIT: I edited the Disruptor's bio a bit so people know that the Disruptor's shockwave attack isn't an instantaneous or unavoidable thing.

Edited by Paradoxbomb