Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Melee 2.0 Anticipation Megathread

gaurdianaq

So with the sudden decision by DE to focus on Syndanyas and skins, do you think we will ever see melee 2.0? Or is it stuck on the border of notgonnahappistan? Imho DE needs to take the cosmetics idea and scrap it... The game does not NEED cosmetics, it needs content; at the moment its like one of those online books where you buy chapters as they come out. If they just start releasing "OH WAOW PWEETY WAHFWAME STUFFZ!", its gonna be like not even releasing chapters and instead like releasing different digital book covers for your unfinished novels.

So with the sudden decision by DE to focus on Syndanyas and skins, do you think we will ever see melee 2.0? Or is it stuck on the border of notgonnahappistan? Imho DE needs to take the cosmetics idea and scrap it... The game does not NEED cosmetics, it needs content; at the moment its like one of those online books where you buy chapters as they come out. If they just start releasing "OH WAOW PWEETY WAHFWAME STUFFZ!", its gonna be like not even releasing chapters and instead like releasing different digital book covers for your unfinished novels.

Patience young one ,it's probably coming  next week

in the meantime go bash some grineer heads 

47045363.jpg

I think I have been fairly patient, been playing since closed beta... so 2 years of development for the game, when they had a framework for 2 years? blehh...Imma take a break, titanfall is looking good, and spring break is here. Probably log in long enough to get my Wraith today tho.... AND IF THEIR ONLY RELEASING COSMETICS, there had better be more than 4 options at once... lol

No Izuna Drop in melee 2.0 = update completely irrelevant.  How do you have melee in a ninja game without Izuna Drop? Pretty sure DE broke some law somewhere with that.

YES! That is my favorite move from Ninja Gaiden. When I first did that move I was like "BADASS"

Edited by BecomeLikeWater

As of current, Melee 2.0 has been in discussion and development for a very long time, along with what DE considers increasing expectations/hype for the update. With how spread out the news has come to us per livestream, I thought I should create a thread to concentrate what we currently know about it so we know what to expect. I won't be reviewing much of what I write, so sorry in advance if I miss something and feel free to point out of I do miss something (the information given should only be confirmed information from DE themselves, and not something that we, the community, have superimposed on DE to add to it). Feel free to discuss Melee 2.0 below.

Current Released Melee 2.0 News from DE:

Information on Melee 2.0 has been slowly released to the community slowly over time.The first good look into the future update was on the Dev Livestream #19, at the end of the year of 2013. The Dev team showed some alpha footage of the new system with the player holding a sword in combat and some in an idle stance. Rebecca confirmed that new stances with melee weapons equipped will be a thing plus a combo system to go along with it. Geoff also states that blocking will become more useable along with the update, while making right click with your melee weapon out resulting in blocking stance. The grip style of each weapon will dictate how the animations of the weapon work. (Side Note: They also confirmed shortly after that Melee weapons will be getting an XP bar of their own at some point.)

Dev Livestream #19: http://youtu.be/J3pkHkNPJYU?t=20m50s

In Dev Livestream #20, Geoff comes back, letting us know that the weapon stances along with some movements have been made, including parrying. A new attack will be introduced to break enemy defenses (forward thrust, most likely something akin to Fencing). AI will be giving reactions to melee attacks, with them unique to their respective faction. Upcoming melee enemies will also have deeper melee systems attached to them with readable patterns to how they fight. Also confirmed is that the current melee system (dubbed Quick Melee by Geoff) will stay in the game, melee in general will be buffed, and bullets can and will be blocked.

Dev Livestream #20: http://youtu.be/r9bQiZv99LA?t=37m22s

Sheldon comes in next on the forums giving a release window of in one month's time (This is on January 22, for the sake of knowing who gave the date out too early first).

Forum Post: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/166937-a-peek-at-the-horizon-january-22-present-future/

On Devstream #20, Geoff returns from his den to inform us that there will be mobility added to equipping your melee and running around in a buffed melee state (unsure what he means by adding mobility to equipping melee; his words, not mine). Parrying, previously known as blocking, will include a counterattack system that will auto-kill enemies with finishers. Finishers will be unique to the stance. Transition attacks are confirmed to be a thing, giving follow-up attacks to jump and slide attacks. He follows to break everyone's heart and says Melee 2.0 will not be with Update 12, but very shortly after it (more sadface cause he did not follow through with that, either). Later added is that Loki and Ash will not lose their additional melee buff when cloaked.

Sorry.” - Geoff, 24 January, 2014

Dev Livestream #21:

Dev Livestream #22, Geoff gives a new release goal of by the end of February. They didn't make it.

Dev Livestream #22: http://youtu.be/CNtzE7BTUV8?t=12m26s

In Dev Livestream #23, Dorian and Pable give a quick note that all important information about melee weapons will be shown on the UI when the update comes. In a short follow-up to the show, Steve and Geoff come to the couch for a post-livestream chat and announce additional delays to the update, in fear that they are not living up the the hype generated around it. Blocking and heavy attacks will be locked into melee stance only, and the quick melee will be a reactive strike instead. Mods will be introduced to change how melee combos will play out., but certain aspects will come packaged with the weapon, such as daggers having a faster attack speed. Combo mods will also be adding damage along with the overrides (equipping these mods will change how your combo chains will work, allowing for the combo to focus on taking down single bosses or implement crowd control sweep attacks). Possible melee weapon swap will be added to standard weapon switch cycle with UI feedback.

Devstream #23.5: Geoff & Steve discuss Melee 2.0:

When March 7 came around with Dev Livestream #24, Geoff and Steve wasted no time addressing the state of Melee 2.0 update. It starts with equipping the melee weapon (holding vs tapping to choose what weapon to swap to). A hit counter combined with a combo multiplier will be introduced to help fix the DPS gap between melee-oriented playstyle and weapon-based playstyle. Red pulses on enemies introduced to show which enemies are hit per swing. Pausing in between normal attacks (default E) will allow for new combos to chain in. At least 4 tiers of combos: Normal, second, heavy and Ults. It will never get to the level of Devil May Cry combat with aerial combos and juggling [yet]. Geoff chooses to not leave any release info as to not give out false hope.

Dev Livestream #24: http://youtu.be/db6QCHnWyX8

TL;DR

In summary, the following have been confirmed about Melee 2.0:

-Current melee will become a quick, reactive melee strike.

-Heavy attacks and blocking will be executable only in the melee stance.

-Blocking will only drain stamina when actively defending against bullets and attacks.

-Hit counter will be displayed on the UI with an affective combo multiplier. The higher the hit counter goes, the larger the multiplier.

-More attack variations will be added to smoothly chain attacks together.

-The ultimate goal of Melee 2.0 is to bring melee gameplay to par with gunfights.

-Different weapons will be given buffs when in melee stance, depending on the weapon.

-Melee weapon XP will be shown on UI with update.

-Parrying/Countering enemy attacks will connect to finishers.

-Aerial Combos and juggling will most likely not be a thing.

-New enemies will come with deeper melee systems, leading to duels with AI.

-Mods will be introduced to modify how combo attacks animate.

-Mods will come with damage augments, however will not replace core mods that currently exist.

-Loki and Ash will be unaffected by Melee 2.0.

-Each melee grip will have a unique melee stance , along with movements unique to melee stance.

-A thrust attack exists to break certain ambiguous enemy defenses.

EDIT: One of the reasons this infothread was created was to know exactly what was and was not promised by DE. This way, if they do not deliver on something, we can point fingers to this for proof we are not just being sour.

Edited by Regierung