The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Melee 2.0 Anticipation Megathread

gaurdianaq

I think what Octoknightx was talking about was true utility vs ranged weapons. While melee 2.0 it will be a ("badass") viable option when compared to guns, it still falls short in terms of effectiveness when it comes to clearing a room. It will always put the user at a higher risk of harm while increasing the amount of time necessary to clear crowds.

I wish I personally could come up with a system that makes melee just as effective as ranged weaponry but we all know why humans as a civilization no longer use sharp stabby-things :/

I think what Octoknightx was talking about was true utility vs ranged weapons. While melee 2.0 it will be a ("badass") viable option when compared to guns, it still falls short in terms of effectiveness when it comes to clearing a room. It will always put the user at a higher risk of harm while increasing the amount of time necessary to clear crowds.

I wish I personally could come up with a system that makes melee just as effective as ranged weaponry but we all know why humans as a civilization no longer use sharp stabby-things :/

^

I dont know, im one of the many that likes farming on high level (35+) missions. Having the ability to Counter-Kill is going to be nice, even if it doesnt one-shot something. Its what saved me in Darksouls, and it will serve me well in warframe.

We are not Ninjas, we are Warriors, Samari, marines, Mercenaries, and ofcourse we are Ninjas. We are whatever the hell we want to be, Equipe Ogris, or penta and BOOM your a Demiman, Equipe the ignis or the Synthesis, BOOM your a... Element thrower..... Equipe a sniper, BOOM your a sniper! 

You can be whatever you want to be... FOR YOU ARE THE TENNO!

Don't forget that we are now pirates as well.

Ok this is another useless thread, that is trying to speculate that Melee 2.0 won't replace guns, even though they have not personally tried it whatsoever, and only have seen the DE experience with it. I mean the update is coming in 2 days, why make this now and not after you have tried the dam system!!!

Edited by Feallike

let's not forget about the combo system too, if the glaive's animation is any indication melee weapons should be getting significantly more reach and probably a few moves that throw you across the room quickly enough that damage mitigation isn't even an issue once you get into a fight. include mods like fury and reach and melee might be getting enough range to compete with some of the guns!

i'm talking mostly speculation of course.

Not the stupid "y u ninja use gun" thread again... ninjas were the black ops of their time if they had guns with silencers at the time thats what they had used! ninjas were not a honorable cult of monk warriors who swore to never use a firegun, they were just assassins and spies, so please... just don't.

i'm talking mostly speculation of course.

Its well past that Point.

As a test, DE_Steve took an Excal... and a regular un-modded Skana.

The Excalibur was modded for life, increased stamina, and parry-reflection.

with this build... he SOLOED an Exterminate on Pluto with NO ABILITIES (all energy went to channeling). He blocked and combo'd his way to the end. Because of the no cap on scaling in combo damage, that little Skana was having no trouble once it landed 10 hits or so.

If i can do this, ill put my Straith on the shelf for a bit and have fun with my Loki in melee.

Not the stupid "y u ninja use gun" thread again... ninjas were the black ops of their time if they had guns with silencers at the time thats what they had used! ninjas were not a honorable cult of monk warriors who swore to never use a firegun, they were just assassins and spies, so please... just don't.

Exactly, thankyou for being smart i am happy there are more intelligent people. :)

The game was never intended to have melee until Mynki drew a sword in one of his images of Excalibur (you can see that image to the right of your screen I believe). It was always intended as a third person shooter, that's why we have guns.

Well then....that's an interesting little fact if true. Explains why Melee, at least the way it is now, seems a bit half-baked compared to what I watched in the devstream.

Here's hoping the melee we get in two days will prove to be something very entertaining.

If melee 2.0 effects enemy melee units like I think it will, spraying into a pack of them may be a bad idea. Some of them may deflect like tenno do, returning some of your damage. Tell me, would 30% of maxed out somas damage returning to you kill you outright? I think it might. So when melee units come a calling, I would say you have to fight melee sometimes.  

If melee 2.0 effects enemy melee units like I think it will, spraying into a pack of them may be a bad idea. Some of them may deflect like tenno do, returning some of your damage. Tell me, would 30% of maxed out somas damage returning to you kill you outright? I think it might. So when melee units come a calling, I would say you have to fight melee sometimes.  

Yes that might be true, which would make all melee units extremely hard to fight... It would also make the game 1000% harder. ;D

if a scorpion can reflect bullets back at me, im uninstalling this game and going to play ESO.

Now, if this 'elite Hek squad' can do it, i wont mind. I can totally see Hek training a group for pure counter-tenno combat. But if a rank-and-file troop gets this ability, i am done. Last thing i need is for my VEctis headshots killing my own squad.

The game was never intended to have melee until Mynki drew a sword in one of his images of Excalibur (you can see that image to the right of your screen I believe). It was always intended as a third person shooter, that's why we have guns.

Im not really sure that is true , i've played in closed beta ( before the mod system when we still had the skill tree) and i had the skana from the start , with the same mechanics we have now , 

if a scorpion can reflect bullets back at me, im uninstalling this game and going to play ESO.

Now, if this 'elite Hek squad' can do it, i wont mind. I can totally see Hek training a group for pure counter-tenno combat. But if a rank-and-file troop gets this ability, i am done. Last thing i need is for my VEctis headshots killing my own squad.

Rage much? I hope they do so that you have to be careful when fighting to make sure you don't shoot at melee units.

Rage much? I hope they do so that you have to be careful when fighting to make sure you don't shoot at melee units.

yeah, im AVGN only 25, hispanically handsome, and filled with a deliciously awesome caramel center. My Loki doesnt need Flame Replelant, its forma'd for Blind Rage.

Grineer have 3 units with radial blast, one of which can all but oneshot you on the ground (Napalm to the face), the other that can chain-knockdown (rocket procs from bombard), with the last making your health disapear over the course of 5 seconds (the heavy gorgon). They also have the eviscerator, an enemy with a weapon so broken, it can kill tenno after its been killed. Scorpions that drag you away from what you are doing. And commanders that make you look around like an idiot for 3 seconds while you try to remember how to Tenno, before getting ST again.

In short, grineer need nothing else to make them harder to beat.

Now, if corpus started making Anti-Tenno cyborg-ninjas, that would be cool. They don't have much going for themselves outside of the Tech, The Railgun (Drone), and the Anti-Moa. Give prodman a counter attack and a small combo. Or a stealth Corpus that can backstab Tenno, that would level the playing feild between the two races.

Im already only playing against Grineer if i have all broken gear, i'd hate to just have to avoid all grineer nodes outright until hotfixes roll out.

I have a feeling this old line of mine will be used more and more in the coming week.

I am a bright pink Rhino with a giant spiked warhammer, heavy machine gun, and dual hand cannons.
I may do insane wall boosts and wall-to-wall leaps across giant chasms, but it's hard to call me a ninja when I roar at the top of my lungs in a crowd of enemies, stomp the ground, and literally cause ripples and distortions in time.

But sometimes, I want to scream hammer time, turn on Battlefield, and go nuts in an infested survival with my melee. That and some fancier moves is what Melee 2.0 will (probably) bring.

As you all know melee 2.0 is amazing. But, I think everyone has had those moments when you ask yourself what ninjas are doing with guns. Guns have ruined gameplay. We should have only had melee 2.0 from the start.

I fail to see the point of melee even when melee 2.0 coming out. I know that I will use melee but I still don't see the point except for the cool factor.

Let's take for example the Penta (favorite weapon). Why would you charge into a horde of enemies with melee when you could just shoot one grenade at them and kill them all? Or how about the worst offenders? SNIPER RIFLES! You can just kill everything in one hit and not take a bit of damage.

I don't see the point of ninjas with guns...grenade launchers...sniper rifles(I guess assassin type ninjas is ok...idk)...rocket launchers...and so many more. If we had to have guns we should have only had pistols. There are decent pistols in this game and some are good enough to be a primary.

But the point of this thread is to ask the question we all know is coming sooner or later. WHY USE MELEE? Sure it's fun but at some point what's fun is the exact opposite of what's going to keep you alive.

We all saw the livestream. Poor Excalibur rushes into the heavies and just dies(doesn't die because of dev super powers). He could've easily one shotted them with a sniper rifle or bow or penta or ogris...so many guns...

And what about melee immune bosses? I don't see what you can do about that...

Oh and those pesky Corpus ospreys and cameras that can't be killed with melee. Sometimes I can kill an osprey with melee because they are either going up stairs, gonna kamikaze me, or just fly low.

I know I will use melee even if guns could be better but what about everyone else?

Seriously I'm getting tired of hearing this argument. If you don't see the point in using melee and you feel you can kill faster with just guns then by all means just stick with that. Damage is not everything, you will quickly become bored with any game if all you care about is damage. Damage in general is fine, but damage alone is useless in a fight...

TENNO define.

TRAINED in

EVERY

NASTY

NARCISSISTIC

OPERATION

We have been trained to enter the battlefield with a Braton, a Lato, and a Skana. It is all our choice which is our favorite. The current Melee 1.0 is really dusty and bland, and needs attended to. That's why they are heavily considering this new melee revamp. For me, I think that the melee is the greatest concept of this game. I'm so happy a 2.0 is coming.