Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Steel Charge/Legendary Cores Discussion Megathread

Ishki88

My only hope is DE's staff learns a lesson from this, and next time does 2 per account and not per item, if they decide that compensation is required in future adjustments.

One per item, only if you maxed up to 10. And that's if we ever have a situation exactly like this one, which I doubt. One per account otherwise is what I say.

One per item, only if you maxed up to 10. And that's if we ever have a situation exactly like this one, which I doubt. One per account otherwise is what I say.

As has been stated previously, they could easily have simply run a script to return a number of cores and credits roughly equivalent to the amount invested into the mod(s). Instead they took the lazy way out and just gave people an insanely powerful mod... two of them, without regard for whether the mods were rank 6 or rank 10 or anywhere in-between. 

Yes, returning hundreds of thousands of cores would be taxing on the database server, but I say it's better to do things right than to royally screw the pooch, as in this instance. 

That would work as well. One per account or for rank 10 mod could have been generous enough compensation to replace the cost a rank 10 mod.

I just do not see why rank 6 was chosen for the requirement, when it is so cheap to raise an uncommon mod to just rank 6. It could have just been a compensation bundle of a dew dozen rank 5 rare cores and a pouch of credit for people under 8. The true cost of raising a mod starts at rank 8 and everything before that is of immaterial cost.

Edited by LazyKnight

And a company that will make more from those that appreciate the generosity, even if they didn't get any part of it. In the end, they will still be fine financially and this won't hurt them.

Your feelings of inequality in RL or towards perceived "reminders" in a game are, quite frankly, your own issues and no one else is to blame for the negativity of said feelings but yourself. I gave a stranger on the street a 20 yesterday because I felt like it. If that makes you feel like it's unfair it wasn't you there to get the 20, that's neither the fault of the person who got it, or mine for giving it.

If you gave 1 per rank 10 and that's it. Period. You'd have had just as many complaints from those that had rank >5 through <10.

Yes, they could have done that (calculate out exactly what was spent into the mod and return exactly that back). Despite that it could have caused issues we don't even know about. Despite the nightmare it may have been to fix anyone that it didn't work correct on. They could have. But they were generous instead, and at the same time minimized the problems that could have come from the database or coding issues.

I will continue to believe that no pooches were screwed in the making of this game unless you can provide video to the contrary.

Edited by Norry.

I will continue to believe that no pooches were screwed in the making of this game unless you can provide video to the contrary.

I am more than happy that DE's staff did some form of compensation, and I am also thankful they took the generous side when issuing it.

Yes, they could have done that (calculate out exactly what was spent into the mod and return exactly that back). Despite that it could have caused issues we don't even know about. Despite the nightmare it may have been to fix anyone that it didn't work correct on. They could have. But they were generous instead, and at the same time minimized the problems that could have come from the database or coding issues.

It didn't need be exact and they have scripts to handle variable rewards (source: every event has tiers with different item).  It only takes 17 rare 5 cores to get a uncommon mod to rank 6 from 0, it takes 33 rank 5 rare to get 7 from 0, it only starts to cost a heck of a lot past 8.

And a company that will make more from those that appreciate the generosity, even if they didn't get any part of it. In the end, they will still be fine financially and this won't hurt them.

Your feelings of inequality in RL or towards perceived "reminders" in a game are, quite frankly, your own issues and no one else is to blame for the negativity of said feelings but yourself. I gave a stranger on the street a 20 yesterday because I felt like it. If that makes you feel like it's unfair it wasn't you there to get the 20, that's neither the fault of the person who got it, or mine for giving it.

If you gave 1 per rank 10 and that's it. Period. You'd have had just as many complaints from those that had rank >5 through <10.

You really don't get it at all, do you? I feel like I'm talking through you right now. 

I mean, okay, fine. Let them be as generous as they want. In fact, if they want to be TRULY generous, let's just give EVERYBODY legendary cores... as much as they want! What's wrong with everyone having 40 legendary cores to be fair, eh? That wouldn't hurt the game at all, right? It's just them being generous! 

In fact, continuing in the vein of analogies that are so-very-much in vogue in this thread, this would be the equivalent of giving random people a four-hour window to redeem a defective product in exchange for one BILLION dollars. Let's say some 10% of the population gets in on this. Surely the circulation of a measily 3.13 trillion dollars wouldn't hurt anything, right? They're just being generous! There are surely no negative side effects that could result from this... right? I mean, all those people who missed out are just being JEALOUS! They're just being small-minded and should just be happy for those people! There's no injustice here at all! 

If you honestly don't see the problem at this point, there is nothing I can do to get through to you. It is simply not going to happen. 

You really don't get it at all, do you? I feel like I'm talking through you right now. 

I mean, okay, fine. Let them be as generous as they want. In fact, if they want to be TRULY generous, let's just give EVERYBODY legendary cores... as much as they want! What's wrong with everyone having 40 legendary cores to be fair, eh? That wouldn't hurt the game at all, right? It's just them being generous! 

In fact, continuing in the vein of analogies that are so-very-much in vogue in this thread, this would be the equivalent of giving random people a four-hour window to redeem a defective product in exchange for one BILLION dollars. Let's say some 10% of the population gets in on this. Surely the circulation of a measily 3.13 trillion dollars wouldn't hurt anything, right? They're just being generous! There are surely no negative side effects that could result from this... right? I mean, all those people who missed out are just being JEALOUS! They're just being small-minded and should just be happy for those people! There's no injustice here at all! 

If you honestly don't see the problem at this point, there is nothing I can do to get through to you. It is simply not going to happen. 

I guess your one of those people that would get mad at a player that got a 75% discount on platinum when you didn't. 

Because thats how silly it sounds.

That would work as well. One per account or for rank 10 mod could have been generous enough compensation to replace the cost a rank 10 mod.

I just do not see why rank 6 was chosen for the requirement, when it is so cheap to raise an uncommon mod to just rank 6. It could have just been a compensation bundle of a dew dozen rank 5 rare cores and a pouch of credit for people under 8. The true cost of raising a mod starts at rank 8 and everything before that is of immaterial cost.

Really? Rank 6 was chosen because they changed the rank to rank 5. So, anyone who got over rank 5 put more into the mod than they needed to, so that's why there was a reward given. It's just that it should have been graduated reward (please don't ask what this means). But, they were generous to give everyone who qualified 2 legendary cores. And Norry is right, his example spot on. They were generous, people are p***** at that. Not sure how they decided 2 instead of 1, but it's done, and everyone who is mad isn't mad because it somehow breaks the game. They're mad because they didn't get it, and don't think it's fair that only people with Steel charges received rewards and that some received a whole lot based on how many mods they had. What I say is this. It should have been 1 per mod, and IF those people ranked up those mods without cheating, then they'd be justified in getting the reward. Even if it had been one per steel charge mod (which is what I say it should have been, per mod), people would still be upset. The point of the legendary core I assume is to compensation what is essentially the loss of 1 maxed mod (two rank 5 Steel Charges = 1 rank 10 Steel Charge. Down to rank 5 =  losing one of those rank 5 Steel Charges, hence the legendary core replacement). So, again, it should have been 1 per mod. The people who ranked up several Steel Charges still had to pay the credits and fuse the cores to do so (unless there was some unrelated glitch or bug that allowed them to "cheat" the system). That's not exploiting. That word is being thrown around as an excuse for why their legendary cores should be taken away and why they should be banned so that they no longer have an "advantage" over those who don't like this and their reputation/standing/status in the community and in the game.

Granted, I haven't been here long, but I rarely see any topic worth reading more than 2 sentences into because I can already guess what the repetitive, sometimes hateful, and opinionated drivel is that comes after. I hope it hasn't always been this way, and I hope you folks at DE aren't taking suggestions from the forums too seriously.

It hasn't. I'm honestly shocked at how terrible a lot of people are being right now. :(

That's simply not true. All of us want to reduce the grind. I didn't enjoy spending 140 runs to get Ember Prime and I don't believe others should have to do 140 runs to get the Ember Prime. DE took the laziest option available to fix the grind issue and simultaneously made the most money out of the problem they could.

I think it is true. You guys are whining about how those filthy casuals can suddenly have high rank mods too. I mean, certainly there's no actual problem with taking the simplest ("laziest") option and with DE making money. Though I'm not sure how DE actually made money on legendary cores considering they're given out freely and how there's no plat tax on market transactions.

It was the kind of actions we would expect from EA not DE and every month that passes, DE becomes more like EA and less like the design studios we knew that actually interacted with the community.

Excuse me? DE interacts with the community all the bloody time. Weekly livestreams, a constant forum presence, previews in the council... I have never seen a group of devs more active in their engagement with the community.

You're only castrating your own credibility by showing your hateboner when you say stuff like this.

That time invested can also be converted into plat.

The hell? No it can't. Not when it's all RNG. I mean, hell's bells, I've put in 600 hours mission time so by this logic I'm entitled to a hell of a lot of free plat because I played.

What the hell dude. Time is money is a cliche that doesn't apply to everything. If DE were actually selling legendary cores that'd be one thing, but they aren't.

I guess your one of those people that would get mad at a player that got a 75% discount on platinum when you didn't. 

Because thats how silly it sounds.

Not even close to the same thing.

This was a once-off event that only so many players even had a heads-up for. Furthermore, it was essentially the same thing as giving away 16000+ platinum for those players who REALLY took advantage of it (which, if you consider the most efficient platinum package you can buy, is running close to $750 of value! Even at 75% off you would have had to pay around $185 to gain the equivalent value in platinum!).

A 75% discount is at least a repeatable event and, due to its random nature, equally favors all players. Everyone gets one eventually... even if it's several years down the line. Getting 40 legendary cores? Not going to happen ever again, at least hopefully not, as long as DE learns from this mistake. 

Not even close to the same thing.

This was a once-off event that only so many players even had a heads-up for. Furthermore, it was essentially the same thing as giving away 16000+ platinum for those players who REALLY took advantage of it (which, if you consider the most efficient platinum package you can buy, is running close to $750 of value! Even at 75% off you would have had to pay around $185 to gain the equivalent value in platinum!).

A 75% discount is at least a repeatable event and, due to its random nature, equally favors all players. Everyone gets one eventually... even if it's several years down the line. Getting 40 legendary cores? Not going to happen ever again, at least hopefully not, as long as DE learns from this mistake. 

So should the "heads up" have been farther in advance so that everyone had a chance to see it? If so, then you'd have people with even MORE legendary cores, but it'd be fair for everyone. That's what you're suggesting right? Because that's not the message I'm seeing.

No, I already said they SHOULD have refunded the correct amount of credits and cores. HOWEVER, if that was not an option then yes, giving everyone further advance notice so they could at least rank up their own Steel Charge mods would have been more fair for everyone involved (still far from ideal, because seriously there shouldn't be an incentive to take advantage of something that's intended to be compensation in the first place). 

So should the "heads up" have been farther in advance so that everyone had a chance to see it? If so, then you'd have people with even MORE legendary cores, but it'd be fair for everyone. That's what you're suggesting right? Because that's not the message I'm seeing.

They shouldn't have given a heads up at all, as that was their biggest mistake. IF, they had just given compensation with no warning there wouldn't have been the rash of people running around stocking up on dozens of rank 6 steel charge.

-Snipe-

Did you even read my post right after the one you quoted, I am well aware of how graduated compensation works. I never used the words "Exploit, banned and Cheating," or even advocated their removal, and putting words or implied suggestion that are not supported by my post is just a sloppy act on your part.

It is totally bogus that a rank 6 Aura was given compensation equivalent of a few hundred rank 5 rare core as a replacement cost. It is total crap to assume, that because someone spent 17 rank 5 rare cores and 53k credits that they now deserves to get an item worth a million credits and hundreds of rank 5 rare cores as compensation.

Edited by LazyKnight

LazyKnight, So, basically you're mad that someone who had a rank 6 got the same as someone who had a rank 10? Even though both were over compensations in your opinion?

What you would like to see as a resolution, just guessing at this, is to have those that had a rank 10 get more? To what extent? Those with a rank 10, get 20, 30, 40 legendary cores to equal the perceived overcompensation already in place?

That would then flood the game even further with the cores and just as many people would still be upset that they didn't get any of them, that the value of max rank mods has been reduced, etc.

Zyrusticae, more time, less time, there would be people who missed out and little difference in the long run.

Comparing it to 1 billion dollars is a bit of an over kill. Maybe if people had gotten 100,000 of these cores it might be a fair analogy.

Not to mention the cores themselves aren't much of a tradable currency. The credit tax is really quite high, and another tax on whatever you trade them for, so while the impact to the market will be some reduced prices on rank 10 mods, it won't kill the economy of the game. Just make some of it more accessible for everyone.

It's unlikely this will be the only time we see these cores available and more people will get a chance at them. After all, there is a new prime package on the way.

Edited by Norry.

LazyKnight, So, basically you're mad that someone who had a rank 6 got the same as someone who had a rank 10? Even though both were over compensations in your opinion?

What you would like to see as a resolution, just guessing at this, is to have those that had a rank 10 get more? To what extent? Those with a rank 10, get 20, 30, 40 legendary cores to equal the perceived overcompensation already in place?

That would then flood the game even further with the cores and just as many people would still be upset that they didn't get any of them, that the value of max rank mods has been reduced, etc.

Wow, yeah, um, your reading comprehension needs work. If that's what you got out of Lazyknight's post... there's really no point in trying. 

"It is totally bogus that a rank 6 was given..." No mention against the rank 10 getting said compensation. Only the rank 6. Meaning, either rank 6 should have gotten less, but since they did NOT get less, then logically the fix for AFTER THE FACT (which it now is) would be to compensate the rank 10 more.

-Edit If I'm mistaken, then what fix was that suggesting since discussing what should have happened before the fact is rather pointless. As in, even if they hadn't made the announcement there would be just as much complaint on this thread by just as many people, if not more, that they didn't get the same chance because there was no announcement.

The only solution before the fact was to announce, prior to just like they did, what would be happening, and give an exact, to the credit, refund on what was put into every version of the mod reduce down to rank 5. Even then, people would still be complaining that they didn't have as good a warframe or as good of groups so it took them twice as long to rank it up as someone else who had a better frame so they should get more since they spent more time doing it than someone who can do it faster.

Edited by Norry.

-Edit If I'm mistaken, then what fix was that suggesting since discussing what should have happened before the fact is rather pointless. As in, even if they hadn't made the announcement there would be just as much complaint on this thread by just as many people, if not more, that they didn't get the same chance because there was no announcement.

When DE_Drew posted the initial post, it didn't include that edit's of: "Will I get 2 Legendary Cores per Steel Charge rank 6 and above? 

Yes, you will get 2 Cores per Steel Charge."

They way the edits happened, heavily implies that DE decided after the initial post to make it 2 per aura, and this edit is what caused the rush to get as many as possible.  If DE_Drew had not put that edit, it would have just assured people the aura was being changed and you're getting 2 cores. All that edit did was tell people to go rank up as many steel charge as you can get your hands on.

As soon as I noticed that edit, I knew it would have the ramification of people getting 40+. It amazes me that DE didn't think that people would want to get as many L-core as possible, considering their value is greater than a million credits and two or three hundred rare 5 cores.

The only solution before the fact was to announce, prior to just like they did, what would be happening, and give an exact, to the credit, refund on what was put into every version of the mod reduce down to rank 5. Even then, people would still be complaining that they didn't have as good a warframe or as good of groups so it took them twice as long to rank it up as someone else who had a better frame so they should get more since they spent more time doing it than someone who can do it faster.

Announcing compensation beforehand, will only result in people putting themselves into a situation where they are adversely affected to become eligible for compensation.

Edited by LazyKnight

I spend over 200 bucks here so far, I get zero thanks for that other than the msg I get when I click to buy something in the store.

Yet if you exploit and or predict the future/be on at the right time; you get rewarded for this?

Please tell me why I should continue to pay for this? Is this how WF is going to be run from now on? All the glory to Johny's on the spot and exploiters?

Edited by fizbit

I spend over 200 bucks here so far, I get zero thanks for that other than the msg I get when I click to buy something in the store.

Yet if you exploit and or predict the future/be on at the right time; you get rewarded for this?

Please tell me why I should continue to pay for this? Is this how WF is going to be run from now on? All the glory to Johny's on the spot and exploiters?

don't just quit, there are millions of games that are better lol..

The sun came up today.  It was a normal day.  I logged into warframe and my gaming experience was no different than it was a few days ago or a few weeks ago, and it was significantly improved compared to months ago when I started playing.

Nothing has been ruined, the sky did not fall, the game did not die.

Pretty sweet of DE to throw a bunch of S#&amp;&#036; in people's face. I've got 100+ bucks invested in this game, and they decide to give out prizes that are worth everything I've ever achieved in-game and then several times more. I'd love to hear the white knight crew give some actual, legitimate arguments for supporting:

- a window of only four hours between the announcement and the patch, in the middle of a weekday

- giving out a prize that is statistically worth much more than even the most expensive object it is replacing, twice over

- giving out a compensation for each mod, with no reasonable upper-limit to prevent exploitation.

I'm waiting. Responses with the words "entitled", "kids", "baby" or "cry" will be ignored completely. Let's have an actual discussion hm?

The sun came up today.  It was a normal day.  I logged into warframe and my gaming experience was no different than it was a few days ago or a few weeks ago, and it was significantly improved compared to months ago when I started playing.

Congratulations, you've repeated the same junk a dozen other posters have in this very thread over and over and over again.

Guess what else? That doesn't help. At all. 

Either discuss the issues or don't say a word. There are plenty of people with very real indignation at the way DE handled the matter and no amount of "it doesn't affect you, you shouldn't care" will change the fact that people do, in fact, care - very much so, even. 

Pretty sweet of DE to throw a bunch of S#&$ in people's face. I've got 100+ bucks invested in this game, and they decide to give out prizes that are worth everything I've ever achieved in-game and then several times more. I'd love to hear the white knight crew give some actual, legitimate arguments for supporting:

- a window of only four hours between the announcement and the patch, in the middle of a weekday

- giving out a prize that is statistically worth much more than even the most expensive object it is replacing, twice over

- giving out a compensation for each mod, with no reasonable upper-limit to prevent exploitation.

I'm waiting. Responses with the words "entitled", "kids", "baby" or "cry" will be ignored completely. Let's have an actual discussion hm?

Unfortunately, as seen above, most responses will tend towards the "you're unaffected, you shouldn't care" variety, with very little in the way of variation. 

The only argument I've seen with anything in the way of strength is that the grind is ridiculous and letting people skip it is a GOOD thing - which I can only agree insofar as they should be reducing the grind for rank 10 mods but they should be doing so universally, NOT giving out prizes to handfuls of customers while everyone else gets jack S#&amp;&#036;. 

Edited by Zyrusticae