The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tornado Is Getting Ridiculous

Temunic

For those who don't know, when used in an area with a ceiling, zephyr's tornado ability can implant items into said ceiling. And if you're in an open area, it can fling items off the map. This is ridiculous. It can break certain game types such as mobile defense and deception where data masses can end up stuck in the ceiling or in the abyss where no one can reach it.

And if this wasn't bad enough, tornado can also deny you drops in the same way. This isn't so bad with normal drops, but when it happens with the stalker, harvester, or grustrag three it can be infuriating. For a game focused on obtaining new items, having a very commonly used ability completely denying you pick ups isn't really acceptable.

Now, admittedly, I don't know how hard it would be to code this. But a possible solution would be to just make the drops from enemies get sucked down to the bottom rather than the top, so that they wouldn't get stuck in the ceiling or flung off the map when the ability ends. But I'm getting more frustrated by this bug than any other I've encountered even though I've been playing since closed beta, and I would love to see this fixed.

What do yall think? Are you similarly... unhappy when you see tornados pop up on an enemy with drops you need? And what do you think would be the best or easiest way of fixing it?

Edited by Temunic

I agree with all the reasons mentioned by the op. Just to add, it also needs fixing on the part where it just wanders off in a different direction when cast to trap other enemies when there is a large group of enemies right in front of you which is weird sometimes. 

As a band-aid solution i put on fleeting expertise so that the duration of the tornado is less & you can re-cast a bit early.

Edited by AbhijitSM

Wasn't this also an issue with the ignis? when the flame hit an item it would turn into a freaking torpedo. Its not the same but you get the idea.

Obviously i would also suggest that this gets fixed. It is gamebreaking, since you need to gather stuff but can't use the ability, which basically is also a huge part of the game, to kill a boss. 

Have you seen Nekros using desecrate when there are a lot of dead enemies in the air?

I have not, but I can't imagine it works particularly well.

Simple, make tornado not affect items, at all. 

Having tornado not affect them at all would definitely work.

Playing public or recruit chat is already a pain and having this pointless zephyr with it's tornados in your team makes me quit everytime. DE really found a way to make the most annoying frame. My zephyr got maxed for the mastery and now it's catching dust in the corner. I hope that one day this tornado thingy won't affect items. Then I may not have to repeat myself over and over again telling people not to use these tornados if you are farming something.

i like the idea of resources and mods falling out of the map getting brought back like if we were to jump off. ospreys in the right tile will make you lose a mod or any mats. i think they should make items not be affected by any powers.  Then add in: if it does fall off the map they spawn back like we do

Edited by paul62626

It's in my "anti-coop abilities that should never have been in the game" list.

Right after Shadow of the Dead, Pull (and the old Vortex, thank god they finally listened to reason)

The sort of skill your teamates cast while thinking they're helping, when they're actually only annoying the rest of the team.

Simple, make tornado not affect items, at all. 

+1.

I remember the whole Ignis leafblower issue. Making these moves affect items is a nice graphical touch, but simply far too detrimental on gameplay to be worth it.

The only time weapons and abilities should affect items lying on the ground are when they pull them into one predictable spot (a la Vortex). Pushing them around like Tornado and Leafblower Ignis is unpredictable, uncontrollable, and does not grant the player the ability to pull items back should something go wrong.

Items should drop straight to the ground and have no environmental forces having any bearing on them, or cause any change in inertia. Really, why can't DE just exclude items from complex physics and just have them affected solely by gravity, and once they touch the floor only a player can pick-them up. This is one thing that should never have a physic component.

I am sure that the Tornado uses the same suction mechanics that the carrier's vacuums has. DE needs to flag the tornado skill as having no interaction with items.

Edited by LazyKnight

After thinking about it, tornado would need at least some interaction with items. The reason I say that is because if it simply didn't affect them, then if enemies get implanted in the ceiling before dieing then their drops will stuck as well. So maybe have it suck them to the bottom, then have it stop affecting them so that is simulates the effect of just dropping them?

After thinking about it, tornado would need at least some interaction with items. The reason I say that is because if it simply didn't affect them, then if enemies get implanted in the ceiling before dieing then their drops will stuck as well. So maybe have it suck them to the bottom, then have it stop affecting them so that is simulates the effect of just dropping them?

There are few way to deal with this without launching items. If the item is only affect by gravity and drops straight down it would not matter where the body was. The game just need to do a check and see if the item is on the floor after the duration for tornado has expired, and if not teleport it to the location that it has for when an item falls off the map.

Edited by LazyKnight

There are few way to deal with this without launching items. If the item is only affect by gravity and drops straight down it would not matter where the body was. The game just need to do a check and see if the item is on the floor after the duration for tornado has expired, and if not teleport it to the location that it has for when an item falls off the map.

Well, kind of. I've seen tornado implant living enemies into ceilings, so if something drops from them you're SOL. It would definitely be nice if the game could detect when items are inaccesible and teleport them to an easy to get to location though. I've played a few games that did this, though I can't remember their names for the life of me, (did Vindictus do that?) and it was a great feature.