Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shotgun Damage Falloff

Raybrand

hi I've read the wiki about shotgun weapons but I don't fully understand what they mean by damage falloff, I assume it means they are less effective at a longer range due to the pellet spread but with the detron it  says it doesn't suffer from damage falloff despite it being a shotgun type weapon with a spread.

After a certain distance the pellet will do less damage.

Say a pellet does 10 damage, after 15 meters (I don't know the exact distance) the pellet will only do 8 damage, at 20m. only six, and so on. This applies to almost all shotguns (except Drakgoon) and the brakk.

I was afraid this was the case but there doesn't seem to be any math I can find online that calculates this, is it that the:

damage = damage - distance

or is it that beyond a certain point, say 10m-15m does it damage begin to drop

Most shotguns have a pitiful 20m damage drop off, where at 20m, you're only doing half damage, not to mention that the spread will only make 3 pellets hit them. The Hek fixes both of these problems with a tighter spread and much more realistic damage drop off damage

or is it that beyond a certain point, say 10m-15m does it damage begin to drop

there is a starting point where Damage will start to decrease. it is 100% before that point. between that point and point B, the Damage decreases over further Distance until it hits a minimum from that Distance on to infinity. 

After a certain distance the pellet will do less damage.

Say a pellet does 10 damage, after 15 meters (I don't know the exact distance) the pellet will only do 8 damage, at 20m. only six, and so on. This applies to almost all shotguns (except Drakgoon) and the brakk.

I think you meant Detron. Brakk got damage falloff.

This applies to almost all shotguns (except Drakgoon) and the brakk.

I think you meant Detron. Brakk got damage falloff.

Not really. I ment the only shotgun that doesn't have falloff damage is the Drakgoon and that the only secundary that does have is the Brakk (AFAIK the bronco series doesn't have).

shotgun_versin2_251.png

Lol.

Handsome Black Man: "Look at me. Now, back to your shotgun. The pellets are now cotton candy! I'm on a horse."

But, really. There must be a better way to make shotguns in a game behave like actual shotguns without making them ridiculously overpowered. Maybe instead of damage falloff based on distance, they could have their damage degradation when using Seeking Force. So you would end up with something like 100% for the first target, then 80->60->50 for subsequent targets. This would keep them quite powerful for single targets, but only somewhat less so for deep crowds.

I can understand why falloff was added after watching some videos of Hek and Bronco sniping. If shotguns MUST have falloff, the falloff range should be extended to maybe 30-40m. The distance could vary by weapon, with the Boar series being on the lower end (while being viable past 15m) and the Hek sitting at the end of that spectrum.

Falloff and low proc chance are the two main forces restricting the potential of shotguns. Tweaking their falloff to be more reasonable would be a first step in bringing that potential back out.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

The falloff damage only applies to the hitscan shotguns. Projectile shotgun weapons like Drakgoon and Detron don't have falloff damage.

Drakgoon is the only shotgun without falloff because it says so. 

Brakk is the only pistol with falloff because it says so, for balance (it used not to have any). 

OT: Shotguns shouldn't have fall off damage. Their spread should be the compensating factor. Also, the fall off is extremely punishing at mid ranges. It was a bad idea altogether and all to prevent hek from sniping.