The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need A Better Program Than Fraps

BizarreFetalChimpanzee

Fraps is a decent program of course for recording, but I'd like to try out other programs that have similar features. The biggest problem I personally have with fraps is that even though I have a mid-tier gaming computer and can run tons of games just fine, it loves to absolutely destroy my framerate. 

What I want is to find a program that doesn't destroy my framerate but still has some core features (frame lock is a must for me, since I do a lot of video editing for commentaries). Secondary is the videos from the start not being ridiculously large, but that's not too much of a concern, considering I have a separate hard drive completely dedicated for video recording. 

Basically, are there very good alternatives to FRAPs? Biggest concern being no destruction of framerate, secondary concern being that it has the same and same amount of (if not more) features as fraps, and tertiary concern is recording videos that take up far less space but are still high quality.

On my a bit more than middle class laptop, Fraps eats maybe -5 FPS at max. Not sure why are you having any problems.

I tried a lot of recording programs and Dxtrory was a good one, it shouldn't drop framerate (at least the description says so). Have a lot of good settings, but it can be hard to orientate around them though.

Edited by Riccoshot

Do you have a recent Nvidia graphic cards?

The Nvidia 'Experience' software to manage said graphic card comes with a built-in recording software called Shadowplay, with minimal framerate loss and great quality of recording. I recommend looking into it if you have a Nividia card. 

Do you have a recent Nvidia graphic cards?

The Nvidia 'Experience' software to manage said graphic card comes with a built-in recording software called Shadowplay, with minimal framerate loss and great quality of recording. I recommend looking into it if you have a Nividia card. 

^ This.

If you have a good Nvidia card, definitely look at Shadowplay. It's excellent! :D

If you have a recent Nvidia card, Shadowplay is amazing.

If not, then I highly recommend OBS. It's completely free and can be used to stream to a livestream service or to record as a file. You can change the file encoding and resolution as well. Other neat things it can do is record specific windows, the whole monitor, portions of the monitor, listen to only specific programs for audio, etc. 

It's very robust, and although it's a bit tricky to get the hang of, it's a fantastic program.

Highly recommending Nvidia's Shadowplay. It is still in beta and has sometimes problems but not too many. Records really well and does not stress out your pc. You need at least Nvidia Geforce GTX650 and higher GPU's so it might be a problem if you don't have any of them. It can record in 30 or 60 fps, audio with your mic or only game audio. Really neat thing and handy.