Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corpus Crewman 12.4.0 - Horrible

Khunvyel

I usually like the changes they bring to design and sound. Even the new Gorgon sound is something I could live with, even though I would prefer the old one. I'll be letting some Heavy Grineer shoot me up some more to get a better feel for it. But I digress.

I was in awe when the new Grineer voices shipped. Those were and are amazing. Thus I was very excited as I read about Corpus voice changes... only to be slapped in the face... or rather, on my ears.

Corpus Crewman nowadays? What... I don't even... This is so irritating that I decided to make a dedicated topic and elaborate.

DE, what have you done? Those are absolutely disgusting and not fitting at all.

Now the Corpus sound as bestial and crude as the Grineer. So instead of separating them more in all things style, you blur the line, causing visual and aural dissonance among them. I expected a colder, cleaner tone if anything. I don't get what was running through your head there.

You break something that was working while leaving other things in terms of voiceovers untouched which are in a more dire need to be improved;

How about robotic Bosses? They still sound like Moas.

How about Moas in general? They still all sound the same.

At least the Oxium Drone got it's self-destruct warning sound, but other than that, the Drones sound pretty much the same all the time (other than having the same base model, which is also kinda lackluster, but I don't blame you here. I am convinced this will be changed at some point).

But no, you rather decide to change Corpus Crewman voices. Shaking my head in bewilderment here.

Furthermore, if you were already doing the effort of re-recording, you have not thought about doing a helmet-off voice. Because that is what happens. Sometimes you just barely shoot off the face protection of a Corpus and they still live, and run, and continue talking. You also have seem to have forgotten to process the "Leader" sounds. All Corpus leaders sound the same as their regular units.

I know, this sounds like a "bring back old sound plx" topic, but it isn't. This is about how to make the best out of it:

Everything done by the art departments should somehow remain. Now you have two Corpus soundsets. Use them wisely.

You can have melee units use the new soundset, because seriously, if I was forced to use a STUN BATON in the age of LASER RIFLES, then yes I would be sounding infuriated and frustrated as well. I'd be totally up for that. That way if I hear something behind me that sounds like an angry little tincan, I can turn around and slice them to pieces. Hearing is an important part of situational awareness. We have more coverage with our ears than our eyes.

So please, distribute the soundsets among different types of Corpus.

Again - these are GRINEER TYPE voices. Crude, aggressive, guttural. It is very unfitting to listen to when looking at a sleek, technological figure. Slapping some fancy effects onto them isn't going to change their nature.

These new voices are not painting the Corpus in the light they would deserve. Please reconsider this.

• Like 1

Dislike the new Corpus "voices", too.

Rework them, DE and stay true to the "Corpus way" .. Corpus are not Space-Cavemen barely able to speak like the Grineer.. they are not dumb and Brute.

A more subliminal, whispering voice set.. still Robotic and creepy but also strangely calming (because they try to convinve you to join them instead of fighting) would be way more fitting.

• Like 1

A more subliminal, whispering voice set.. still Robotic and creepy but also strangely calming (because they try to convinve you to join them instead of fighting) would be way more fitting.

That sounds ridiculous. I can almost hear the prod crewmen sweetly beckoning you to join their ranks as they crack you over the head with a Prova.

That said, though, I do think that the Corpus sound a bit too aggressive and ready-to-die-for-glory, which is more of a Grineer thing. They need to start off nice and cool before going full-out aggressive.

Since they're human, perhaps something like the old tradition of taking aim and shouting "Put your weapons down and put your hands where we can see them!" (in English, so the players can understand) until the player kills something right before their eyes would work. Then they go full-out aggressive and use their new voices.

Edited by SortaRandom
  • Like 1

I would agree with a more calm voice set. They just seem to be the indifferent and (religiously) humble ones when things go right - profit numbs the feeling! - , and go batS#&$ crazy when things go wrong. Ever listening to the Corpus Capture targets? Hilarious!

When I compare Alad V to Darvo and Frohd Beck, they are definitely more at home with speaking english, so their natural language would be more related to that. Even Corpus Capture targets speak it well. But from the random garble I understand nowadays, there is next to little about this. Granted, it might be the "upper class" Corpus are way more adapt to learn and replicate or they just use language implants *chuckle*

Grineer, due to their harsh voicing, have more problems with english, despite hearing the similarities. Grineer is a lot harder, and edgy.

However, when comparing those 3 Corpus mentioned before, then none of their voices are in line with the other. Darvo, despite being Beck's son, seems to be of a completely different native tongue, almost more russian? northeast Europe?. Okay, you know, perhaps this is a mix of "kids these days" and Frohd Beck perhaps having difficulties to talk. I do find his whispering voice unbefitting, or rather, the extremely long while it takes for him to formulate words. Perhaps this is a quirk, perhaps this is for health reasons, or perhaps it is just his way to cope with english.

In terms of "funny old Corpus voices";

Whenever they say the line that kinda goes like "Voz de woba" I cannot help but laugh because in my native language, it sounds like someone talking in dialect and asking something that would translate to; "Where's the Vauban?" Just for that, I will miss it. This little comical piece of secret Corpus affection for the Tenno engineer.

As a member of design council I can tell you that I did vote for the winning sound, but sounds that are in game sound nothing close to what I voted for. I don't know if anyone other from design council could agree with me but this is total BS.

The sound we (I) voted for sounded a bit rough but still robotic. This one just sounds like all the corpus during the recruitment process are forced to swallow nails, sharp glass, broken knife parts and hot oil.

So please DE revise what we voted for and what we got. That "robotic" part is nowhere to be heard. 

You know, these days I bite my rear that I didn't convince myself to purchase founders package with the design council rights.

*looks at his compact written 80something pages worth of suggestions, math, bug reports, Lore, improvements and future concepts*

Oh well.

Back to topic;

I wonder why trying to make them sound more robotic in the first place. I mean, they are not genetically polluted brutes and it doesn't look like they are cybernetically augmented dummies either. They seem to look completely normal and decent. So I guess this was more about the effects going on with the helmet on. But to be perfectly honest; why even that? What would be the point? Being intimidating to low-tech colonies? That would make sense, because communicating with each other would be a chore like that. I mean... think of it;

Crewman 1: " *unintelligible static-y gibberish* "

Crewman 2: "... what?"     (( in Corpus native tongue ))

Crewman 1: " *more aggressive unintelligible static-y gibberish* "

Crewman 2: "... I'm sorry, come again?"     (( in Corpus native tongue ))

Crewman 1: *takes off helmet* "I said..., can I come over tonight? Wife's cooking again and... you know..."     (( in Corpus native tongue ))

Crewman 2: "oh yeah, sure" (( in Corpus native tongue ))

Crewman 1: "Cool, I'll b-..."   °BLAM°   *gets a third eyesocket shot by a Vectis*

Crewman 2: "Oh shi-..."   *puts on helmet*   "WOZ DE WOBA!"

Crewman 1: " *unintelligible static-y gibberish* "

Crewman 2: "... what?"     (( in Corpus native tongue ))

Crewman 1: " *more aggressive unintelligible static-y gibberish* "

Crewman 2: "... I'm sorry, come again?"     (( in Corpus native tongue ))

Crewman 1: *takes off helmet* "I said..., can I come over tonight? Wife's cooking again and... you know..."     (( in Corpus native tongue ))

Crewman 2: "oh yeah, sure" (( in Corpus native tongue ))

Crewman 1: "Cool, I'll b-..."   °BLAM°   *gets a third eyesocket shot by a Vectis*

Crewman 2: "Oh shi-..."   *puts on helmet*   "WOZ DE WOBA!"

This made my day.

On topic: The new corpus voices sound like disgruntled frenchmen with atrophied vocal chords.

I much preferred the older sounds, and am really not sure how we could improve them, or why we want to.

As far as I know, their speech has no effect on their behavior or actions.

"Combat formation bravo" was a sound clip, not a prompt for the AI to change tactics.

Why do we care what language they speak, and whether or not we understand their words, if it has nothing to do with any other aspect of the game?

"Swabbuwing mags!" At least that had some resemblance to what they were doing :D But you are right, I'd rather have some voice messages connected to what the enemy AI is actually pulling off.

My secret wet dream is deciphering their voice messages through Codex Scans and the more we have, the more the grineer and Corpus language becomes "understandable english" to us (requires yet another soundset, but hey, I can dream, right?)

Scanning enemies while they are speaking their lines would speed up the process. So the more complete your collection of Grineer and Corpus is, the more voice lines will be in english, but naturally spoken in the same style. This way we might can such gems back as "leave my mother out of this."

But that is just me rambling, my bad.

Ontopic;

I mentioned in my starting post how other voice lines would be more important to overhaul. I've completely forgotten the fact that certain entities do not even HAVE dedicated voice lines to begin with. Sgt. Nef Anyo everyone? I'm just really wondering and would really like to know what sparked the decision to overhaul Corpus Crewman voices, among all the other things.

Edited by Khunvyel

Still find it hard to believe that Voice Set A did not win. I thought it suited the crewmen so much better. B, C or D could have slotted in for the Techs far more convincingly.

I expect some tweaking will happen as they go along.

Edited by psyanide

I'm in agreement about not liking the voices here. I've turned down my sound after that update.

I've got a question for the devs. Why is the most threatening noise the Corpus makes the deathcry? I really liked the dinosaur noise the MOAs made and how their noises telegraphed their presence and attacks, but it's overshadowed by the deathcries now.

I get from reading this thread there was a vote, but... this stuff is bad. Is there a way to work with what you've got out of the vote and produce something better?

So please, distribute the soundsets among different types of Corpus.

I was going to mention this in the polls of the design council but for some reason it was closed very soon after it was put up. They distributed different voices to the infested ancients, why not to the corpus as well? otherwise, they sound like clones of the same guy as well. 

I take everything, as long as it sounds less like a Grineer talking through a Stormtrooper Helmet.

See, I'm a very aural kind of guy. I rely a lot on what I hear inside a game. Especially in Corpus vs. Grineer invasions, I sometimes get irritated from a distance because I think there is a Grineer around, even though it is a Corpus. This alone is just another proof that these voices are much too similar.

So again, please DE, reconsider this. It simply doesn't make any sense why you would choose to redo Crewman voices, when the MOAs all sound the same, and some other units still lack a distinguishable audo-alert. And have Sgt. Nef Anyo something to talk about.

Until you have this resolved, please let regular Corpus use the old voice set, and give the melee Corpus the current one, so at least we have a semblance of variety among the units.

That sounds ridiculous. I can almost hear the prod crewmen sweetly beckoning you to join their ranks as they crack you over the head with a Prova.

That said, though, I do think that the Corpus sound a bit too aggressive and ready-to-die-for-glory, which is more of a Grineer thing. They need to start off nice and cool before going full-out aggressive.

Since they're human, perhaps something like the old tradition of taking aim and shouting "Put your weapons down and put your hands where we can see them!" (in English, so the players can understand) until the player kills something right before their eyes would work. Then they go full-out aggressive and use their new voices.

I like this. The new Corpus voices sound way too goofy.

Aren't they supposed to be regular humanoid types? There should be a filament filter distortion for regular voices with helmets on and just regular Isaac Clarke regular-dude-in-a-very-bad-situation with the helmets off. Don't mean calm or anything but a bit of both scared and enraged.

When i first heared and to be honest when i still hear the new gr... umm corpus sounds i start looking around for the hiding grineer in invasion missions.

Exactly happened here as well from time to time :/ especially in the thick of the fight, when there are so many sounds going off, the differences between Corpus and Grineer blur too much.

• 1 month later...

Still cannot get used to the new sounds.

I'd still be all happy if they re-used the old soundset and distributed it among different types of Corpus. For example, using the old soundset for more "rare" enemies. Corpus Techs & Sniper Crewman.

Even though I'm sold for using the new soundset EXCLUSIVELY on Prod Crewman because that is where their aggressive tone would be best used, I'd be happy with a mix of both.

Edited by Khunvyel

Yes, these Corpus voices are awful and they sound like some kind of messed-up French. I liked the previous ones because they sounded kind of robotic, which served very well since they're a tech-based faction.

Edited by -SLX-J3tAc3

The grineer voices , they sound rough , they sound intimidating, they sound totalitarian. 

Even tho i hear them shout gibberish at me i can get all of those feeling from the voices and afflictions.

They sound like i imagine a massively cloned half robotic military race would sound.

The new corpus are just laughable , instead of the cold and calculating robot genius merchants that they are.

All i hear when they speak are some jealous 12 year old's with puffed up cheeks imitating baby sounds to mock me.

Cant wait for the infested to start meowing and barking at me through Teflon tubes.....

Edited by TisEric