Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 2.0: Shiny, But Useless Toy.

letir

So bassically turn warframe into a completely different game. Might as well put this in the World of Warcraft forums for suggesting better melee combat. Anyway if space ninjas were given guns, I am pretty sure space ninjas would use guns over melee even if they were proficient in it. Anyway if we really want to get into what a ninja really is, we wouldn't have wall running etc. we would be guys dressed up like everyone else and drop poison into an important guy's drink or the like.

It doesn't change much.

Melee 2.0 just make melee at least usable.

Personally I don't even like to melee and I main Loki.

I only use ichors / Zorens for utility.

Your guns will still frag guys 100 meters out but at least when things get to knife fighting range, the melee guy will have something to do.

Guns will still be innately superior, which is why RL Ninjas in ancient Japan use a sh1t ton of firearms. Even a makeshift flamethrower !

Just look the assassination column.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja

I've seen this argument tossed around a lot.  The "high risk low reward" aspect of melee.  That's melee as it currently exists though, there's no reason to think it's going to stay that way.

I mean, look at the most recent dev stream.  Guy goes in with...Either the Cronus or the Skana, I don't remember which, but he goes in with a completely unmodded super early game sword, and is able to kill a level 15 heavy gunner in one combo.

That is a pretty big @(*()$ reward, if you ask me.  Considering pretty much ALL power in this game comes from mods, and we'll be using much stronger weapons than that, I don't see any reason to be expecting anything other than enemies just melting beneath the power of our melee attacks.

Edited by And_Now_I_Dance

"Risk" part of melee is still here. One (just ONE) charger ~40 can deal 200 damage in one hit.

And 1 part of Melee 2.0 is that ENEMIES have melee better moves too. 

Unless they canned it of course :o

Edited by fatpig84

This game is all about options. The point of melee 2.0 is to transform melee from a high risk, no reward system into a high risk, epic reward system. When that's done, everyone'll have the options of either playing ranged or melee - whatever suits their play style.

What is it that Steve said about Hydroid? That the pirate theme might seem a little silly? "I want to allow the players the freedom to choose their own gaming experience, whether it be very serious or silly." (paraphrased). That ties into melee 2.0 - once again, it's all about your options.

"Tossing MPrime around"

Skill happens.

The presence of a single skill in the game is not inductive proof that your point is correct.

OP, you seem obsessed with the idea that only the most efficient and utterly powerful concepts are valid within the game, and that all else is useless and terrible. Nothing within a Melee 2.0 update is going to stop you playing the way you want. If you hate Melee as much as you seem to now, then honestly you should be treating this update as something of a minimal radar blip. In essence, you're giving the impression of complaining bitterly about something you logically shouldn't care about either in it's current incarnation or the incarnation we're yet to see. The melee system you seem to want does not exist in Warframe and probably won't for the forseeable future.

Also, the fact that you find it useless (and again, you have no experience of it) does not allow you to generalise that statement to everyone else who plays this game. 

So, i don't have experience...

...high level-damage.

...CC madness.

...hit-scan enemies with aimbot.

...running oxygen.

...run-&-gun teammates, who just wipe entire floor with AOE.

Oh, yes, just my imagination.

So bassically turn warframe into a completely different game.

No it doesn't. We can still perform quick melee with our guns out, and we can still perform the old melee maneuvers like slide attacks and jump attacks. The difference is that when you have your melee weapon equipped, you can now do more, better stuff with melee.

If you don't care much about melee in the first place, then the game doesn't change much for you. So no, it's not a completely different game, just one with additional features.

...high level-damage.

...CC madness.

...running oxygen.

1 is the main issue Melee 2.0 is addressing via the combo system and melee channeling, allowing for more damage to be dealt per melee strike. 3 is countered by the new parry system that can even deflect ranged attacks, basically making you invulnerable as long as you have stamina.

If 4 is about sprinting consuming life support, then that is an officially busted myth with a statement by [DE]Megan a while ago. if it's not, then Life Support doesn't really impede melee one bit (you do have to run to get life support modules even with ranged weapons anyway). And while you can't do anything about AoE being too powerful, if they're powerful enough to destroy entire rooms to prevent you from going Melee, then it's powerful enough to prevent you from shooting said enemies too.

Edited by LGear

If they wanted to make melee viable, the shouldn't remove the features which are currently viable, such as Charge attacks. What is not viable? Skana on Pluto. Farm for a better weapon.

They... didn't retire charge attacks? As far as I know, you can still quick strike + charge attack without actively pulling out your Melee weapon.

Not sure how charged attack is calculated when used in the new Combo system though.

If they wanted to make melee viable, the shouldn't remove the features which are currently viable, such as Charge attacks. What is not viable? Skana on Pluto. Farm for a better weapon.

Is your only arguement always going to contain your obsessive love for charge attack?

I can't wait for M.2.0 for variety's sake. Melee right now bores me, lacking luster and the damage to support it. Being able to actually weild my skana prime or glaive prime for once would be a god damn god send.

I want to use the weapons I own.

I want to focus on different builds for my frames.

I'm sick of charge only builds.

IT'S BORING

...high level-damage.

...CC madness.

...running oxygen.

will you stop being a hater? your fighting over this like 2 kids fighting in a sandbox :l if you dont like MELEE THEN DONT FREAKING USE IT GEEZ!

isnt this a shooting game?
melee 2.0 just to avoid complete ignore to melee...
it not even come out yet,but such flammable thread hahaha

You might be next employee of the month in WF : ]

Edited by LanCeAlot

Is your only arguement always going to contain your obsessive love for charge attack?

I can't wait for M.2.0 for variety's sake. Melee right now bores me, lacking luster and the damage to support it. Being able to actually weild my skana prime or glaive prime for once would be a god damn god send.

I want to use the weapons I own.

I want to focus on different builds for my frames.

I'm sick of charge only builds.

IT'S BORING

^

This.

Atm melee seems like > dealing peanut dmg < iv used charge builds and all those but still swish swash is what i only see...now seeing Melee 2.0

with combo's, channelin and all dat shizz makes melee more worth and viable to use.

isnt this a shooting game?

melee 2.0 just to avoid complete ignore to melee...

it not even come out yet,but such flammable thread hahaha

shooting game?

if you havnt noticed that were space ninjas sooo we use all dem weapons we are given to murder everything :P

Ninjas basicly only use bow's and Melee along with throwing knives if i remember correctly.

will you stop being a hater? your fighting over this like 2 kids fighting in a sandbox :l if you dont like MELEE THEN DONT FREAKING USE IT GEEZ!

Seems like you can't read at all.

I want VIABLE melee - not just funny toy. And simple shooter with unlimited powers can't have viable melee - there is just no way. It's question of game balance - every "melee orientated game" must strict ranged weapons.

Seriously, keep the "Real ninja's do X" crap out of Warframe.
Real ninja's don't have chainguns and grenade launchers and laser cutters and biological lightning cannons BUT WE DO

If you haven't noticed, about 90% of warframe is Rule of Cool. Deal with it.

Melee 2.0 is a continuation about this, to make using melee far cooler (and more effective) than it ever has been, and hopefully making more weapons as real options. Making guns obsolete is never going to be a thing-but even under the current system, I use melee, because I can-I find slide attacks are far more likely to connect than trying to aim while sliding (and also have less issues if you come out of slide while still aiming), and various other reasons.

And to OP, go play another game. I won't miss you.

shooting game?

if you havnt noticed that were space ninjas sooo we use all dem weapons we are given to murder everything :P

Ninjas basicly only use bow's and Melee along with throwing knives if i remember correctly.

Actually, historical examples of ninjas use everything available to them, including farming implements and tools, poisons, and even firearms.  

Seriously, keep the "Real ninja's do X" crap out of Warframe.

Real ninja's don't have chainguns and grenade launchers and laser cutters and biological lightning cannons BUT WE DO

If you haven't noticed, about 90% of warframe is Rule of Cool. Deal with it.

Melee 2.0 is a continuation about this, to make using melee far cooler (and more effective) than it ever has been, and hopefully making more weapons as real options. Making guns obsolete is never going to be a thing-but even under the current system, I use melee, because I can-I find slide attacks are far more likely to connect than trying to aim while sliding (and also have less issues if you come out of slide while still aiming), and various other reasons.

And to OP, go play another game. We won't miss you.

Fixed the bottom sentence for you