The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Saryn Viable?

Riot_Wolf

Hey guys, I think Saryn is a really cool frame who's abilities focus around melee, which is perfect for me. I have all the parts and I was going to build her when I saw a lot of beget ice comments regarding her powers, which made me think that I have never really seen anyone play as Saryn. So, I was just wondering should I build Saryn, or is there a really obvious downside that I am missing out on.

Saryn is my favorite. I play her as a melee ranged caster (but I don't melee much). I think she is a great all around frame and with I personally love 3 of her 4 abilities (not too fond of contagion, hopefully melee 2.0 will sway me).

She looks cool and abilities are usually reliable, good enough reasons to love~ xD

Haha, I'll side with these answers. Saryn is a very good Warframe if you work with her enough, her abilities can be very useful given the proper time.

saryn will carry you, no doubt about that.

but suffers the same problem as ash or banshee IMO.

seing how the game is being developed, their powers are not good anymore beyond a certain point in the game.

saryn first takes to much time to act, comes nova or a penta "BOOM", you cant use it.

saryn second is a worst version of loki decoy, and you have to be in the middle of the combat to release it, you cant project it like the decoy, so not viable also.

saryn third power, well you have Rhino, Valkyr and even trinity if you want to tank, again you have better choices.

ulti power, is a meh, you have better choices.

same with ash and banshee, but we are not talking about them here.

Saryn will carry you until mid level content, their powers where good in the beginning but are "old" an out of place with the game as it it now with fast paced action and hordes of enemies (you can argue about some of this being shared with ember also).

TL:DR. several frames needs an overhaul about their powers (should act faster, should have better CC, etc), saryn is ok, only that, and beyond some answers ill get about "hey! Saryn/ash/banshee is awesome, you dont know how to use it" , or wathever reason that will arise, the true is that there is more balanced all around frames in the game, and is a shame, because saryn was one of my first frames, and i really enjoyed to use her.

thats why you dont see so many players using her, there are better options until the older frames are revisited, only that.

Edited by omega_phoenix

Thanks for the feedback people! So is Saryn fun to play, and if so what's your play style with her

i guess the best advice is to reduce the casting time duration, miasma ( ulti power) does a fixed amount of damage over time, if you reduce the time duration, you will get that amount of damage faster (also the second season helmet reduce time duration of powers, so is useful in this).

but this also will give you less molt / contagion duration , so the best way of action is for you to try what combination is good for you.

as with almost every frame when you increase something you cripple something else.

Edited by omega_phoenix

I actually use 3 of her abilities often. Spread a venom around, drop a molt to let it pop, and cast miasma. So much damage spread around. Again, the close nature of my playstyle with her leans me towards shotguns, and that helps venom bubbles being popped.

Reliable stun. Aggro dump, and a spell that makes you orthos prime-slide happy-combo kill even heavies and a spell for 100% viral proc. 

Definately a good frame. She's good all around, but she's not specialized, nothing wrong with that, if she weren't a girl I would play her more but I like characters I can feel inmersed. 

She was my first Heavy-Hitter frame. When things were going to get though, she is the one I relied up to take and deal damage. Great all around frame. However, that was back in u7 through part of u9. I then began going on/off with warframe and didn't play much, or at all at, until U11 when Oberon was released. Next came dmg 2.0 and I found Saryn to no longer be what she used to be. 

As of today, the only power I find myself using is Molt. Venom became large, useless water balloons and miamasa just no longer has the same kick or feel to it. (feels more like a move to stun the enemy) Contagion was meh, I haven't bother to check if they improved it. Even if it was improved, with Melee 2.0, anything can happen. The only reason I still use her is out of Nostalgia. 

Took a quick look at the wiki, and what I saw didn't make sense compared to what I've experienced. Venom, Contagion, and miamasa should be useful, yet it doesn't feel like it vs mid to high level enemies. 

I remember when I first started playing at the beginning of open beta.She was the Nova of damage dealers back then. Then they nerfed venom and miasma became crippled by damage 2.0 along with that duration nonsense.

Oh...the good old days when Venom did such impressive damage that it crashed our PCs. 

I like Saryn. She's another good excuse for me to trot out a shotgun (like I actually look for excuses...)as she works really well with them.. My only complaint for her is that the Boar works best with her and it's retired. New players won't be able to experience that.

past that, because her abilities actually do damage she has the misfortune of not scaling well.

If I had a say I'd remove most of her damage and replace it with a lot more status effects. Alternately, I'd allow dots to stack for more damage.

Kinda like why slash does so much damage to us.

other than her scaling issues, she's awesome though.. Even as a ninja in heels. xD

Saryn currently has the best room-clearing 4 besides Nova (who wins for obvious reasons) due to a bug that makes having -50% power duration increase Miasma's damage considerably.  Molt is also a good move.  Contagion is mostly superfluous (unless you love thrown melee weapons) and Venom is not very fun to use due to the finicky nature of spore-breaking (the Viral procs can be very useful though.)  Saryn is also quite durable due to her high HP and armor.  People who say Saryn has fallen out of usability either don't play Saryn or don't understand how the game works. 

So to answer my original question, is Saryn still viable?

Yes.  Pretty much every frame has something to offer, actually.  The problem is everyone wants their frame to be Nova.

Edited by RealPandemonium