The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Make Saryn's Molt/contagion Useful [Serious]

Zarrazheno

I've seen some amazing suggestions made by others on the Warframe subreddit. I can't remember their names, but all credit goes to others (whomever they may be!) I've just made minor adjustments/worded it better and am posting it here. (okay I came up with some of the molt ideas, but ssh)

Down to business.

Molt

* Currently very spammable 

* Stays a predetermined time, can get focus fired by enemies really fast

Suggestions to improve Molt

* Make Molt remove DoTs/Damage on Saryn. Things like bleeding, toxin, fire, blast, etc damage. The more debuffs there are (with the more procs) the more it costs (energy wise) for Saryn to shed her skin.

* Make Molt have a cool mechanic like the recently changed Snow Globe, but scaled down perhaps.

* the Molted clone explodes upon death or reaching its maxed duration, with one of two affects

- the Molted clone deals corrosive damage much like a scaled down Miasma, with no damage over time (pure damage)

- the Molted clone deals corrosive damage over time upon exploding, sending spores onto nearby targets. Mods like that grant reach extend the explosion radiation of which spores can fly off to. 

- the Molted clone explodes upon reaching max duration or max damage and explodes into a poison cloud, think Ash's smokescreen - with a brief stun just like smokescreen and this does a combination of pure damage and some damage over time.

Contagion

* Currently adds toxin damage to melee weapons for X amount of time

Suggestions to improve Contagion

* Apply Contagion to both primaries and secondaries.

* Apply Contagion to teammates in the vicinity, much like Volt's electric shield, have a visual affect go on! 

Make Contagion steal a little life (like 1/1/2/3%) and add 15% damage to all weapons. Giving Saryn a 'vampire' ability will make it much better as a survivable frame

Molt is actually pretty good as is. For 50 energy, shedding DoTs and Debuffs would be pretty fair. Maybe give it a 25 heal as well.

Venom is a single target DoT, both of which are problematic is WF. Make the spores pop automatically when the enemy is killed.

I've seen some amazing suggestions made by others on the Warframe subreddit. I can't remember their names, but all credit goes to others (whomever they may be!) I've just made minor adjustments/worded it better and am posting it here. (okay I came up with some of the molt ideas, but ssh)

Down to business.

Molt

* Currently very spammable 

* Stays a predetermined time, can get focus fired by enemies really fast

Suggestions to improve Molt

* Make Molt remove DoTs/Damage on Saryn. Things like bleeding, toxin, fire, blast, etc damage. The more debuffs there are (with the more procs) the more it costs (energy wise) for Saryn to shed her skin.

* Make Molt have a cool mechanic like the recently changed Snow Globe, but scaled down perhaps.

* the Molted clone explodes upon death or reaching its maxed duration, with one of two affects

- the Molted clone deals corrosive damage much like a scaled down Miasma, with no damage over time (pure damage)

- the Molted clone deals corrosive damage over time upon exploding, sending spores onto nearby targets. Mods like that grant reach extend the explosion radiation of which spores can fly off to. 

- the Molted clone explodes upon reaching max duration or max damage and explodes into a poison cloud, think Ash's smokescreen - with a brief stun just like smokescreen and this does a combination of pure damage and some damage over time.

Contagion

* Currently adds toxin damage to melee weapons for X amount of time

Suggestions to improve Contagion

* Apply Contagion to both primaries and secondaries.

* Apply Contagion to teammates in the vicinity, much like Volt's electric shield, have a visual affect go on! 

All good ideas! +1

I like the suggestions for Contagion, but I think what contagion really needs is *knockdown protection*.  Three out of Four of Saryn's abilities work best if she's in the middle of a group of enemies (Molt, which now explodes, is obviously best placed in a tightly packed group, Contagion is obviously a melee buff, and Miasma is a radial AoE), and Saryn is a "tanky" frame, but right now it's dangerous to run in to a group due to lack of cc protection like Rhino/Trinity/Valkyr get.

If Contagion was a melee buff with a knockdown protection component, it would give Saryn a way to go into melee safely to use those other abilities.   If you also give Contagion the ability to pop Venom bubbles, it would then have great synergy with all of her other abilities. 

I really don't think that scaling the cost of Molt with debuffs is a good idea. Nothing else in the game scales cost with anything.

It's also so reliant on timing and reactions that it's probably not worth the extra energy, as cool as it would be.

You mean Volt's Speed, not Electric Shield, right? Contagion makes a lot of sense as a team buff, though. Sadly, it's not very unique anymore with the poison mods flying about.

I think they should just drop Molt, and replace it with a Gas version of Overheat that increases threat generation and pops Venom spores.

Bonus points if its name refers to her scent/perfume, given she's probably the closest in design of any to a femme fatale. Dem heels.

If they want to make her a melee frame, then she needs either a direct damage-mitigation skill, or a gap-closer. Since Poison is about the furthest element from getting a gap closer (Electricity we know, Cold could get an ice slick, Fire could get flame jets, Poison would be... what, acid surfing?), mitigation seems the most fitting.

Molt's always been a problem skill; the snake motif fits her poison theme, sure, but it just doesn't fit her playstyle, since it only spawns where you stand (so if you cast it while charging your target, it'll be summoned behind you... which means they'll shoot at it, through you). Everything else you could use it for, you could cut out the middle man and just take advantage of Saryn's semi-tanky stats.

Edited by Archwizard

I like the concept of Molt, but it doesn't seem to pull aggro as much as I hoped. I DO like the Toxic effect on death though.

Contagion I think should stay how it is, but with 2 changes:

1) Make it a team buff for extra Toxic dmg

2) Make it transfer any procs and status effects from you, to your target

Thoughts?

-Jin

I like the concept of Molt, but it doesn't seem to pull aggro as much as I hoped. I DO like the Toxic effect on death though.

Contagion I think should stay how it is, but with 2 changes:

2) Make it transfer any procs and status effects from you, to your target

was thinking that was what molt should do on death. any stat effects you removed by using it were spread to enemies affected by molt's explosion.

Make Contagion steal a little life (like 1/1/2/3%) and add 15% damage to all weapons. Giving Saryn a 'vampire' ability will make it much better as a survivable frame

Molt is actually pretty good as is. For 50 energy, shedding DoTs and Debuffs would be pretty fair. Maybe give it a 25 heal as well.

Venom is a single target DoT, both of which are problematic is WF. Make the spores pop automatically when the enemy is killed.

Vampiric is a rather neat addition.

Even better if it is a team buff, so we don't have to rely on standard healers like Oberon and Trinity.