Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestions For Alternative Grineer Hazards

Paradoxbomb

Because while the current Galleon traps were a nice idea they're kinda "meh" in execution. Broken lights are just a nuisance for veterans and a death trap for new players, tend to be in unfair locations, and for some reason faulty lighting can choose sides in a conflict apparently and won't harm non-Tenno entities. Energy doors are a bit better but honestly don't feel very "Grineer" and more like something Corpus made (plus stealing our energy just seems to be the "debuff of the week" now). I'd like to offer up some suggestions for some traps and hazards that fall more in line with the Grineer's brutal, militaristic nature.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hazards:

-Caustic Gas pipes: Faulty pipes carrying highly caustic chemical fluids, these pipes will periodically spray a corrosive gas which a range and AoE on par with a Scorch's Ignis for several seconds. Standing in the spray will deal very high damage, and simply running through it will both deal a corrosive proc that reduces your armor as well as slow your character down as they lurch in pain.

Pipes are not triggered by players passing by them and simply go off on their own every few seconds. They will be indicated by a nearby valve glowing red and making a loud buzzing noise, as well as the sound of pressure in the pipe itself building up. Corrosive gas will damage/slow down both players and enemies.

-Malfunctioning Doors: A replacement for the current energy door, people who have played the original Dead Space will remember this classic hazard. Malfunctioning doors constantly slam open and shut again, much too fast for any Tenno to slip through. Attempting to pass through a malfunctioning door is instant death for any entity, friend or foe.

Malfunctioning doors can be deactivated by finding and hacking (or just shooting) the control panel they're linked to. This panel can be anywhere in the tile-set but will always have a glowing red cable linking it to the door, making it easy enough for the player to find. Alternatively, (if DE really wanted to be adventurous) some doors will not have a panel that can be deactivated and the player must instead seek out an alternate route into the next room, such as an air-vent.

-Broken Lights 2.0: The majority of lights will no longer be broken on their own, but instead can potentially break if shot at or caught in the crossfire of an explosive round. Lights will also harm enemies as well as the Tenno, stunning them and have a very generous chain-lightning range. This would make them less of a nuisance and turn them into a "fun" environmental hazard that players can use to their advantage, by breaking lights in choke-points to shock incoming enemies. Just make sure you don't run into them yourself and are out of range of the (unbiased) chain-lightning effect.

Traps:

Impalers: Essentially the Grineer equivalent of a Claymore mine, impalers are your standard wall-mounted motion activated trap indicated by a visible laser light. When walked through, this trap will launch a heavy metal bolt that hits the player with enough force to stagger them and deals moderate damage. It gets worse though, after a second or so, the bolt will explode, creating a small but devastating AoE that deal immense damage to the player as well as any allies standing next to him. Fortunately they're a fairly obvious and easy to avoid trap, so being alert should be enough to avoid being skewered and blown up.

Impalers can be shot to detonate them from a safe range as well. Grineer cannot activate Impalers by running through the motion sensor, but can still be hurt by actual bolt and it's subsequent explosion. They will however be activated by Corpus and Infested invaders. Mid-high level Seekers may occasionally deploy these as well when retreating from the player.

Grineer Security Camera: Grineer cameras are less sleek than their Corpus counterparts and function more like the cameras from Bioshock. They have a smaller detection range and will take a few seconds to fully detect a threat. However, once they do detect an enemy, all defenses will remain active even after they are destroyed. Cameras will activate a lockdown as well as hidden turrets. Although the lockdown is ship-wide as usual, the turret defenses are not; only turrets in the same tile-set and the tile-sets adjacent to where the camera is will be activated.

Grineer Auto-turrets: Unlike Corpus auto-turrets, once activated Grinner auto-turrets will remain active until they are destroyed, even if you break the camera they are linked to. When inactive they are completely concealed within trapdoors on the walls, floors and ceiling. Come in a variety of flavors.

-->Chaingun turret: Strongly resembles and functions like the Gorgon, laying down a high suppressive fire of bullets after revving up for a second. The most common of the turrets and are quite dangerous, they're damage being on par with Heavy Gunners of the same level. Fortunately, they're much easier to destroy

-->Flamethrower turret: Fires a continuous stream of fire at players within range (20m). Generally located on the floor or in smaller hallways due to their limited range. Are circumstantially more devastating than Chaingun turrets but are also frailer.

-->Drone Deployer: If a player gets too close, this device will deploy 3-6 hovering, roller-like drones. These drones will drift towards you and fire ballistic projectiles similar to the Twin Gremlins' rivets until coming within 15m of the player, at which point they will ram into them Oxium Osprey style, dealing moderate blast damage and most likely knocking them down. They are slow moving and they don't deal high damage on their own, but the fact that they come en masse can make them a dangerous distraction, especially when surrounded by a lot of Grineer. Drone deployers can't be destroyed but will only deploy a finite amount of drones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And those are my ideas for now, nothing too new but certainly fitting for the Grineer IMO. Feel free to suggest your own or insult critique these.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

You wrote allot of stuff except removal of broken lights...

Anyway, I want to fight enemies, your ideas are more of not so fun stuff to annoy during a mission.

If you and DE keep this chain of thought, in the future we will have to fight against stalking killer doors, alien hunting windows, explosive flying chairs, ninja tables, prime wall wraith, electric mutant fence, fireblast lamp, crouching tiger building, and the almighty container boss.

I want to fight enemies, not constantly hassle against things

-snip-

The way I see it (assuming they're done right) traps and hazards can be a good way to break up the monotony of "go to point A, destroy target B, go to Exit C, kill same 50+ lancers on the way." They can even be fun so long as their not implemented poorly where you can't even counter them at times (like the Broken Lights, which by the way I said should be rehashed so as to only trigger if they're shot first, making them a hazard that the player can actually use to their advantage but still has to be careful with themselves).

Just look at the Void, personally I enjoy having to fight enemies in that one tile with lasers constantly activating and deactivating. makes me have to actually pay attention to where I'm going and gives me a chance to try and manipulate enemies into getting themselves killed. Adding obstacles to make the player to actually watch where they're going and stop and think for a second instead of running headlong into every situation like the invincible tank they think they are is important for the sake of variety.

I can agree that a lot of the current in-game traps are indeed annoying and perhaps my ideas aren't the best either, but I'm certainly against the belief that we shouldn't implement environmental hazards just because "they're not something I can beat by outright ignoring or pressing 4".

Nothing really in your suggestion that would discourage rushing, so I'd have to prefer broken lights. Sorry.

No?

Gas pipes and Impalers: require the player to watch where they're going at the risk of getting burned alive or blown up, but can actually be evaded unlike broken lights half the time.

Cameras: Don't sprint around in the open like an idiot or risk causing a lockdown and being mowed down by auto-turrets

Malfunctioning doors: rush through it if you enjoy missing a chunk of your torso.

Honestly the only trap that's mostly harmless would be the broken lights, which the majority of players don't even like in their current state due to how unfair their spawn locations tend to be (and let's be honest, they don't really discourage rushing any better).

I would vote fire hazards. 
Nothing will hurt a Rusher like a DoT, a continuous damaging effect will make them more vulnerable over a period of time where their shields won't regain until its done, but it will be less of a nuisance for the more cautious and tactically minded players who don't mind waiting out the burn in a safe location or just being a little more cautious about stepping in the fire in general. And Grineer are already loaded up with fire units which would help nudge Flame Repellant towards viability instead of forcing this weird 1 instance only element from the grineer.

The way I see it (assuming they're done right) traps and hazards can be a good way to break up the monotony of "go to point A, destroy target B, go to Exit C, kill same 50+ lancers on the way." They can even be fun so long as their not implemented poorly where you can't even counter them at times (like the Broken Lights, which by the way I said should be rehashed so as to only trigger if they're shot first, making them a hazard that the player can actually use to their advantage but still has to be careful with themselves).

Just look at the Void, personally I enjoy having to fight enemies in that one tile with lasers constantly activating and deactivating. makes me have to actually pay attention to where I'm going and gives me a chance to try and manipulate enemies into getting themselves killed. Adding obstacles to make the player to actually watch where they're going and stop and think for a second instead of running headlong into every situation like the invincible tank they think they are is important for the sake of variety.

I can agree that a lot of the current in-game traps are indeed annoying and perhaps my ideas aren't the best either, but I'm certainly against the belief that we shouldn't implement environmental hazards just because "they're not something I can beat by outright ignoring or pressing 4".

Traps and hazards sound more of old time game, like prince of persia, since then games evolved, and developers around the world have found more interesting content to put in their games.

Not that DE should use those cause its no in fashion anymore, but simple cause the game doesn't really revolves around these.

I would rater see more effective enemies, that flank you, grab you, peruse you on an attempt to prove difficulty.

The void traps are good, cause they were designed with every and each tile set, and they are visible, noticeable, and interactive.

Also the void is a kind of a place abandoned by its own race, and all that was left behind were those security traps.

Edited by 7grims

Much, much, MUCH better and more fitting ideas than what currently got added!

- Caustic Gas Pipes = Sounds like a better alternative to the Broken Lights. If it was just pure damage and a stagger/stun/slowdown. That would be enough.

- Malfunctioning Doors = Also sounds far better than the current Sensor Bar (even though the Sensor Bar is rather harmless imo. It just feels too hightech for Grineer). But they should be very rare!

- Broken Lights = Sounds better as well! However, this could be a trap in both Corpus and Grineer tilesets. Make it more common in Corpus tiles though, seems more fitting to be there.

- Grineer Cameras and Auto-turrets = I guess these would be ok, but it would make the Grineer feel, once again, like they just take whatever Corpus have and copy+paste, with a Grineer twist. We need to make the factions more different from another, not less.

So:

Malfunctioning Doors + Broken Gas Pipes = Grineer

Laser Doors + Cameras w. Laser Turrets = Corpus

Breakable Lights/Electric components = Both, but more for Corpus

That way, both sides have traps, but they feel more distinct from one another.