Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Was Dead Eye Nerfed?

Antikonos

I, being a sniper rifle enthusiast, was interested in getting my hands on this aura upon learning of a promised +60% damage buff for sniper rifles. By the time that I actually got it, this buff had been reduced to +20% and a measly +5 mod energy for the mod itself.

I don't believe that sniper rifles need this aura to be effective; or even Rifle Amp. But I also don't believe that these changes were necessary. A player should be rewarded with a more effective buff if they want it to only benefit a certain type of weapon, given that they are limiting themselves. It's a trade-off; specialization should lead to rewards given a certain play style and a detriment in others

I understand that having four players with this aura, adding up to a rediculous +240% SR weapon damage, would be insane. But in its current state, there is absolutely no reason to pick this over Rifle Amp, which I believe still applies to sniper rifles. RA has more mod slots and damage boost to a more varied range of weapons.

I would suggest that at the very least the damage boost should be changed to exceed the boost given by Rifle Amp.

What do you guys think?

the leaked Auras were 60% before release, and balanced after. it was to be expected, as they were all OP.

So being a direct downgrade to Rifle Amp is "balanced"? That seems silly.

I don't get what's all the fuss about Sniper mods adding damage to Sniper weapons. Damage overkill does nothing, and leaving the enemy with even 1 health after a shot from a Sniper cuts down their usefulness by craptons. Whether a Sniper does ten thousand or ten billion damage doesn't matter one bit if both can one-shot the enemy.

Because of how slow they are, absurd damage in single shots doesn't "overpower" most Sniper weapons the way it would for rapid-firing weapons like Soma and Brakk, at least not to the same extent. It merely allows them to scale higher.

Edited by SortaRandom

So being a direct downgrade to Rifle Amp is "balanced"? That seems silly.

I don't get what's all the fuss about Sniper mods adding damage to Sniper weapons. Damage overkill does nothing, and leaving the enemy with even 1 health after a shot from a Sniper cuts down their usefulness by craptons. Whether a Sniper does ten thousand or ten billion damage doesn't matter one bit if both can one-shot the enemy.

Because of how slow they are, absurd damage in single shots doesn't "overpower" most Sniper weapons the way it would for rapid-firing weapons like Soma and Brakk, at least not to the same extent. It merely allows them to scale higher.

it matters to ppl who screenshot and boast about how they are so pro creating all kinds of false assumptions. It didnt need the nerf, but the drama created by ppl whining about Primed Chamber for their Vectis caused this. You guys have yourselves to blame.

Whether a Sniper does ten thousand or ten billion damage doesn't matter one bit if both can one-shot the enemy.

It merely allows them to scale higher.

the amount of Damage a Sniper Rifle does per shot is a big factor of it's combat performance. if it's too much higher than the average Damage Output of say, a Machine Gun, then you have a balance issue.

the same way that a Machine Gun having too much DPS is a balance problem. different routes to the problem, but the same problem in the end.

if we can get situational Mods for Damage, then i'm sure Sniping Weapons can have their situational power in a good place.

at some point in the future. eventually.

and being lower than Rifle Amp is silly of course, but 60% for any Weapon type isn't exactly reasonable.

the amount of Damage a Sniper Rifle does per shot is a big factor of it's combat performance. if it's too much higher than the average Damage Output of say, a Machine Gun, then you have a balance issue.

the same way that a Machine Gun having too much DPS is a balance problem. different routes to the problem, but the same problem in the end.

No, no, you misunderstand.

If we have a Sniper that's capable of one-shotting enemies, then it'll generally take 10 shots to take out 10 enemies. If we give that Sniper ten billion damage per bullet, then it's still going to take 10 shots to take out the same 10 enemies. Its effectiveness isn't changed at all; the 9.99 billion overkill damage contributes nothing whatsoever.

A machinegun, on the other hand, starts out with much lower damage per bullet and higher DPS than a Sniper. Receiving the same buff will allow the machinegun to shred through the room many times quicker to the point of absurdity, which is where the balance issue makes a major appearance. Only when each bullet starts one-shotting everything will extra damage cease to have an effect on performance, but the ceiling for this is much, much higher.

I'm not saying that we should give all Sniper weapons 9999 base damage or that balance doesn't matter for them or anything, but extra damage will affect them much less given their single-powerful-shot nature compared to a rapid-fire weapon. They'd only become truly overpowered in "boss" scenarios, in which they aren't intended to be able to oneshot the target.

Edited by SortaRandom

this is a very good question, a very very good question indeed

in fact its a great mystery, why was it changed ? what was the reason ?

as a fellow sniper rifle enthusiast i cant help but feel they need every bit of extra damage possible in the current enviroment because lets face it:

-they are extremely punishing to use in situations that matter because of the low rate of fire and unwieldiness, more damage offsets this

-they should be by definition the highest single shot damage in the game aka one shot one kill

-they are less popular with players than full auto high tier auto primarys and marksman rifles/bows

i can understand pistol amp being changed, +60% per aura would way OP if four people had a pistol amp but sniper rifles ? cant even remember the last squad i was in that had 4 players with maxed snipers mostly because many people dont like using them  

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/183560-dead-eye-aura-values-make-no-sense-and-research-proves-it/

I made that thread the day Dead Eye was finally first made possible to obtain through legitimate means (meaning the first time it was up for alert). And yeah... I'm guessing that by the fact that this thread exists, it hasn't been changed yet, and who knows what they plan to do with it.

For those of you saying that 60% was too overpowered... while snipers may not necessarily need a damage boost all that much, the 60% was not really overpowered. Assuming it would still stack with Serration and Heavy Caliber, that's still only a 22% increase in damage if you only use Serration, and 14% increase in damage if you use both Serration and Heavy Caliber (bleh). Considering that you'd be sacrificing your aura slot for it (and for whatever god-awful reason, mod points since it caps out at 5 instead of the standard 7), and you don't tend to see many sniper class weapons to begin with as they are not the most practical of weapons for this game regardless of how much overkill they produce, I'd say that's nothing overpowered at all. This is mainly a close to mid range combat, horde heavy game, for which sniper rifles are not exactly what your first choice of weapon would typically be.

Even if Dead Eye was buffed to have higher damage, it isn't like it will fix the core problems with sniper rifles in this game, but that's still no excuse for Dead Eye being the way it is.

Edited by omgwtflolbbl

If we have a Sniper that's capable of one-shotting enemies, then it'll generally take 10 shots to take out 10 enemies. If we give that Sniper ten billion damage per bullet, then it's still going to take 10 shots to take out the same 10 enemies. Its effectiveness isn't changed at all; the 9.99 billion overkill damage contributes nothing whatsoever.

more Damage per Shot contributes to their 'scaling'. as the point they stop one shotting they become a Utility Weapon. so balancing that point where it stops being one shot one kill, is the tipping point of balance for it. it's definitely still usable after that but it's considerably less effective.

more Damage per Shot contributes to their 'scaling'. as the point they stop one shotting they become a Utility Weapon. so balancing that point where it stops being one shot one kill, is the tipping point of balance for it. it's definitely still usable after that but it's considerably less effective.

The tipping point where snipers have difficulty 1-shotting things comes very late, though. The point where they don't 1-shot things is typically already the point where DE's balance is already defunct and the main issue is the broken scaling. Thus I don't really care too much about improve sniper damage per shot much right now, since for all intents and purposes they are way too much overkill anyway, but still not good choices due to the fact this is a horde game.

Edited by omgwtflolbbl

but still not good choices due to the fact this is a horde game.

that's why Lanka is my Sniper Rifle :p on the off chance i'm in the mood for one.

mow down groups of Enemies with one shot. 

but they're definitely not entirely practical Weapons, then again, a lot of other types that are 'practical', are horaciously unsafe, and therefore are also impractical, just in a different way.

either way, for all intensive purposes, the Mod was never 'nerfed', as the only number almost any player has seen, is the one it's always been since it was actually supposed to be released.

Edited by taiiat

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/183560-dead-eye-aura-values-make-no-sense-and-research-proves-it/

I made that thread the day Dead Eye was finally first made possible to obtain through legitimate means (meaning the first time it was up for alert). And yeah... I'm guessing that by the fact that this thread exists, it hasn't been changed yet, and who knows what they plan to do with it.

For those of you saying that 60% was too overpowered... while snipers may not necessarily need a damage boost all that much, the 60% was not really overpowered. Assuming it would still stack with Serration and Heavy Caliber, that's still only a 22% increase in damage if you only use Serration, and 14% increase in damage if you use both Serration and Heavy Caliber (bleh). Considering that you'd be sacrificing your aura slot for it (and for whatever god-awful reason, mod points since it caps out at 5 instead of the standard 7), and you don't tend to see many sniper class weapons to begin with as they are not the most practical of weapons for this game regardless of how much overkill they produce, I'd say that's nothing overpowered at all. This is mainly a close to mid range combat, horde heavy game, for which sniper rifles are not exactly what your first choice of weapon would typically be.

Even if Dead Eye was buffed to have higher damage, it isn't like it will fix the core problems with sniper rifles in this game, but that's still no excuse for Dead Eye being the way it is.

i agree with this 100%

it really would not be overpowered at all because of the nature of the mechanics involved and the sacrifice if the aura for the damage boost

dropping the % down was a real detriment to the niche gameplay style of the sniper rifles