The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles By Michael Bay :o

Deidaku

Archistopheles, that's partly relevant but not really. Growing up with your heroes is one thing. Watching Michael Bay shove a firecracker up their butts is quite another.

Lets look at the breakdown.

Jonathan Liebesman -- Battle Los Angeles (2011), Wrath of the Titans (2012), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)

This is not an auspicious start, trying to ignore that Michael Bay has his name on it at all. Liebesman is tepid director at best and is likely Bay's bagman on this project. So we aren't going to see anything really inspired here and you can see it in the casting, but we'll get to that.

Writers:

Josh Appelbaum -- is Producer playing at writer on this. Mostly he's done a few TV shows with his biggest write being Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. That that as you will.

Andre Nemec (miscredited on the Youtube page) -- Again producer who is writing and also Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol.

That's two Producers in on the writing, likely as the leads in terms of narrative. This typically does not end well.

Now these guys are on the YouTube but not the IMDB page so.... confusion much.

Art Marcum -- could be hit an miss, not much there. Iron 1... okay, Punisher: War Zone... meh.

Matt Holloway -- echoing Marcum there.

From those two it depends on how much of Iron 1 was these guys and how much was Mark Fergus and

Hawk Ostby (the other two screenplay writers). Fergus and Ostby worked on Cowboys and Aliens (2011).

There's you're run down. I'm not sure if any of these writers will be able "grow up" turtles well. With Liebesman as director you're taking what I see as a 50/50 good/bad shot at the script and making this 25/75 production. Throw Michael Bay in and this is dropping to 0% change of good.

=====

Actors, I'm not touching the turtles on this round.

Megan Fox -- Bay's influence for sure. Not so sure about the casting here. Like cognitive-dissonance. I get the call back on the Yellow, but ya gotta either all on that or don't bother. That Yellow jacket (which is only going be there for the first sequence you can be sure) just isn't going to cut it. And definitely not on Megan Fox.

William Fichtner -- As Shredder? I could buy into Shredder as both a scientist/martial-arts-master/criminal-mastermind. Which grows with him very well across his incarnations. However I feel like we have miscast here for the character of Saki. I know there's a want to shy away from non-white guys as the bad guys (because of how often that happened in the past) but I think that Shredder as a character over years is a justifiable bad-&#!-bad-guy. This is clearly a Mark Fergus pick since they worked together in First Snow. I don't think it is the correct one.

=====

This is a trainwreck coming. You could very likely take whatever screenplay they come up with. Remove every last Turtle, and have the same bloody movie. Expect this to be Mission Impossible meets explosion fest, wearing a turtle costume that is 2 months early for Halloween.

Edited by Brasten

Michael Bay,I've grown up watching  most if not all of his movies. Off the top of my head I can't think of any that didn't have at least one explosion in it... Someone should back track his personal life and see if anything like arsonist like behavior is associated with him, if so I wouldn't be surprise Lol

Turtles look good and I like the voices so far. Origin was already known last year that he would change that up. Making it a corporate thing from the looks of the trailer>_>

Then there's Megan Fox who Bay got into it with back in Transformers 3, so this is his apology, by having her in this film despite the fact she doesn't fit >_>

She didn't even dye her hair, nor did they give her proper attire for April O'Neil  :(  doesn't have to exactly like, but I get no reporter vibe from her in this trailer.... Hollywood adaptions as usual...

I'd be willing to give it some leeway if it wasn't Michael Bay.  Transformers was awful and missed the entire point, and this will be the same.  It's yet another generic action CGI-fest made to tout rampant explosions everywhere and sell solely by being tied in with yet another old license from the 80s rather than try to do something original.

I'd rather go watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 in a theater than subject myself to a Michael Bay movie.

Archistopheles, that's partly relevant but not really. Growing up with your heroes is one thing. Watching Michael Bay shove a firecracker up their butts is quite another.

I'm not defending Michael Baysplosions. I was just commenting on the fact that the new TMNT is urban, dark, gritty, and involves terrorists.

Edited by Archistopheles

I'm not defending Michael Baysplosions. I was just commenting on the fact that the new TMNT is urban, dark, gritty, and involves terrorists.

He basically siphoned off a part of Chris Nolan's plot with his 3rd Batman movie, which was awful. Bane the British terrorist... >_>

I hope it is dark and gritty, like blood (not gore) but adult action scenes.

tumblr_n34cbodEPF1r1ibsxo2_500.jpg

Y'know... the turtles' appearances remind me of some reptilian characters from this really bad 90s movie based off of a video game.

tumblr_n34cbodEPF1r1ibsxo1_500.jpg

Oh right! They look like the Goombas from that laughably awful Super Mario movie!

I....cant...stop...laughing....at....the last HAHHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by EPICMAN118

I am hesitantly optimistic about this new movie. Unlike some people, I never followed the original cartoon series. I've watched some of the newer series. I own the 4 pack DVD set of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-3 and TMNT. And I never understood why people bashed on the Transformers movies. For me, they were fun and action packed. And they certainly suffer from Plot based Accuracy. (Plot demands we can't hit the broad side of a barn, so we don't. Plot demands we get sniper accuracy, so we do! Yay!) So I'm hesitantly optimistic. It seems like a radical idea for the plot and I hope it turns out well. I'm certainly going to find a way to watch it, whether that's in the theater or not is up for grabs. 

I am hesitantly optimistic about this new movie. Unlike some people, I never followed the original cartoon series. I've watched some of the newer series. I own the 4 pack DVD set of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-3 and TMNT. And I never understood why people bashed on the Transformers movies. For me, they were fun and action packed. And they certainly suffer from Plot based Accuracy. (Plot demands we can't hit the broad side of a barn, so we don't. Plot demands we get sniper accuracy, so we do! Yay!) So I'm hesitantly optimistic. It seems like a radical idea for the plot and I hope it turns out well. I'm certainly going to find a way to watch it, whether that's in the theater or not is up for grabs. 

Not just the plot but for the sake of Hollywood they dwelt too much on the humans (i.e Shia Lebuef). Yes, the stars get the average/non-Transformer fans to come see the film but it was just too much focused, centered attention around them. Humans/stars should support the Transformers, not feel like the other way round.

Only good thing bout the series is the action. I will see the next one, when it comes on HBO or some other premium channel. I haven't been the movie theaters in years. I don't pirate. Sometimes grandfather rent movies from RedBox or I will get a copy from a associate/friend who has the movie. 

Just with the trailer being full of April O'Neil (Megan Fox) I know another movie not focused on the real true stars of the movie. We want turtles!

Another great thing bout the original 3 TMNT movies, NO MAJOR stars were in it and the trilogy is a classic.

Hollywood doesn't care bout classic no more, or smash box-office hits then rinse and repeat  :\