The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excaliburs Offensive Abilities Should Factor In Melee Weapon Damage

ItPutsTheLotion

Radial would be so much more useful if it wasn't blocked by everything. A buff to Slash Dash would be nice, but most "first" powers are generally lacking when you get to higher level enemies. It's the fact that Radial Javeline is so hard to use effectively that kills Excalibur. Radial Blind is a great power, but it can get old just spamming the one ability. I love the look of Excalibur. He's just boring and difficult to use IMO. The fact that he's "balanced" really seems to be more of a hinderance than a help too (sheild and health levels).

They should keep Radial Javelin being blocked by walls and objects but they should give it a punch-through or damaging ragdoll so that it works on crowds better.  Perhaps also increase proc chance as well.  This game doesn't need any more "kill everything in the room without any gameplay interaction" abilities.

I would agree. Maybe the punch through would help. But as it stands, not only is it not a "kill everything in the room" ability, it's a "use a good chunk of your energy to kill the two guys not behind cover" ability. I believe it's for this reason that people start ranting when an Excalibur enters the game. Very few people can use him effectively, and those who do use Radial Blind pretty much exclusively.

How?

Should I just carry Galatine around with me whenever I use Excalibur?

It works with Valkyr because she can actually do more in Hysteria than fly forward or do a radial.

Not sure I follow your logic. It seems to me to make much more sense for Excalibur carrying a Galantine around and that making him do more damage in his ability mods in comparison with Valkyr - since Excalibur actually employs his equipped weapon in his animations for Slash Dash and Radial Javelin (though I am inclined to agree with others that maybe melee weapon shouldn't affect Radial Javelin - except perhaps if an enemy is actually physically struck when Excal's equipped weapon is thrust to the ground). 

If Excanlibur Slash Dashes through you with a Galantine that is maxed out with elemental and damage mods, why shouldn't it do more or different damage than if he slashes though you with an unranked, unmodded Galantine?

I Fully Support this idea! Slash damage is just way too specialized and useless against mobs other than the infested! With the Devs talking about the Badlands etc... it is really kind of dumb to have it in a way where abilities can't scale as well as a weapon. At the very least we should be able to put elements on abilities so we can do damage past level 15-20 (30-40) 

I Fully Support this idea! Slash damage is just way too specialized and useless against mobs other than the infested! With the Devs talking about the Badlands etc... it is really kind of dumb to have it in a way where abilities can't scale as well as a weapon. At the very least we should be able to put elements on abilities so we can do damage past level 15-20 (30-40) 

Slash works ok against everything and has the best proc of the physical damages.  Idk what kind of mods you've been using but I can rely on using only abilities to kill everything through level 40 with almost all of my frames.  Only heavy Grineer throw a wrench into that with their huge armor values.  

Given that Excalibur is a sword-framed theme, I do kinda agree that Slash Dash and Radial Javelin should benefit from melee damage increases.

Radial Javelin in particular pales in comparison to many other Ultimates in the game because:

1. It deals only 1000 damage (max unmodded) per enemy.

2. It hits only 15 enemies.

3. It can be blocked by obstacles.

Compare it to Ultimates like Reckoning, which not only deals more damage per enemy (1250 max unmodded), but it can affect an unlimited number of enemies, and it can hit behind cover to boot, all for the same amount of Energy. Hell, Reckoning even has utility in the form of Health Orb spawning, which Radial Javelin doesn't have.

I disagreed, this is not the way to "fix" Excalibur. It was a failure on Valkyr and it would be a failure on Excalibur too.

Why do I say it was a failure on Valkyr? Pidgeonholing, that's why. You don't use the most optimal melee weapon on her and her ultimate skill will not be as useful as if you did. Thus, weapon-variety takes another step in the wrong direction.

Abiliites have always been made as a standalone "weapon" or as an aid to your weaponry. Not the other way around. Weapons should NOT empower your abilities!

In fact, I'd possibly even go to the extent that Excalibur shouldn't even be using the equipped melee weapon for Slash Dash, he should be using some kind of projected shiny energyblade to perform the attack, since, after all, he is called Excalibur and the ability deals Slash-damage.

^this

But the pinciple of the idea is not bad: make some abilities scale with something else than power mods.

We've seen it with Frost Globe, scaling with armor mods (for better or worse, that's not the question), Hysteria scaling with melee weapons (once again, for better or worse)

I think Excalibur is a very melee-centric frame by design, if only for his name: Excalibur, and yes, ability animations involving weilding his melee. It's only intuitive to think your equiped melee weapon would influence his abilities.

What if you could use weapon variety to benefit abilites? without screwing the balance?

Think about it, there's something else than damage defining weapon diversity since Damage 2.0: the damage type.

Physical damage and elemental damage distribution, different for each and every weapon: the distribution of slash/puncture/impact and the very few elemental weapons.

So what if Excalibur abilities didn't scale with melee weapon damage per se, but damage type.

And with the eventual elemental/physical damage mods you equip your melee with of course

Equip a Skana, damage is mostly slash

Equip a Fragor, damage is mostly impact

Equip a Prova, damage is pure electric

Equip Dual Ichor...etc

It would open up a whole world of combinations between mods, weapons, and frame, that would allow his abilities to remain effective in higher level areas where elemental specialization is a must-have. Without having to buff the damage.

You could go as far as applying your melee weapon status chance to his abilities. To give a small utility bonus ^^ (Blast proccing Slash Dash sounds fun...). Cause I'm pretty sure the current status chance is abysmall.

And that would work with Hysteria too. But that's another topic.

Edited by Thelonious

^this

But the pinciple of the idea is not bad: make some abilities scale with something else than power mods.

We've seen it with Frost Globe, scaling with armor mods (for better or worse, that's not the question), Hysteria scaling with melee weapons (once again, for better or worse)

I think Excalibur is a very melee-centric frame by design, if only for his name: Excalibur, and yes, ability animations involving weilding his melee. It's only intuitive to think your equiped melee weapon would influence his abilities.

What if you could use weapon variety to benefit abilites? without screwing the balance?

Think about it, there's something else than damage defining weapon diversity since Damage 2.0: the damage type.

Physical damage and elemental damage distribution, different for each and every weapon: the distribution of slash/puncture/impact and the very few elemental weapons.

So what if Excalibur abilities didn't scale with melee weapon damage per se, but damage type.

And with the eventual elemental/physical damage mods you equip your melee with of course

Equip a Skana, damage is mostly slash

Equip a Fragor, damage is mostly impact

Equip a Prova, damage is pure electric

Equip Dual Ichor...etc

It would open up a whole world of combinations between mods, weapons, and frame, that would allow his abilities to remain effective in higher level areas where elemental specialization is a must-have. Without having to buff the damage.

You could go as far as applying your melee weapon status chance to his abilities. To give a small utility bonus ^^ (Blast proccing Slash Dash sounds fun...). Cause I'm pretty sure the current status chance is abysmall.

And that would work with Hysteria too. But that's another topic.

If it took on the extra gimmicks of whatever melee the player is using...

Fragor + Slash Dash = home run *-*