Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A New Player's Pet Peeves And Annoyances.

mpastor

I know that is a horrible title.  First off let me congratulate you on a great game.  Overall I find it very well conceived and setup for a FPS based MMO.  Hopefully posting this here will shield it a bit from turning into a whine fest.

I have been playing the game for about a month now.  Here are a couple of things as a new player that I don't like and/or don't understand why they are the way they are.

1. Ice.  It just infuriates me when I load into a mission with ice.  Usually, I will leave and restart the mission.  Surely your intent is not to infuriate me or cause me delays through reloads.  My only question is why the ice and why so often?

2. Jupiter.  I hate the planet area.  I didn't start out hating it.  I didn't start out hating the missions in the Jupiter area.  I grew to hate it as I set about grinding for neural sensors.  I have setup a distilling reactor but still cant seem to generate enough of those NS's.  The damn things are needed for everything useful and well I have killed that dumb boss and his stupid hound more times than I can count.

3. Squad Recruitment.  The current system is just poor.  I can't believe it has survived as long as it has without a major overhaul.  This really needs to be addressed to help take some of the pain associated with end game grind.  And why does everyone get booted from the squad upon completion of a mission? This very poor system probably leads to more time wasted than any other thing in this game. 

4. Player trading.  Wow. This is another area that needs immediate attention. A lot of resentment that people have grinding could be alleviated with an easy to use trade and auction system.  Also, do you really want to allow people to trade plat?  Doesn't this seriously destabilize and devalue your in-game money?  

Outside of Jupiter, I don't find other grinds too unreasonable.  In fact, I think it may be too easy to re-level items and warframes.  Grinding for Primes is just about right imo.  Though it may be useful to institute a trade in system of some type.  You know... trade five prime item components or BPs for one of your choice.  This will help out the poor souls with rotten luck.

Again great game.  Keep up the good work.  I may edit and add more items if they occur to me.

Player trading doesn't devalue cradits because whether you like it or not you're still using Credits for trading whether it be platinum or not. Also the Clan tax On Top of that creates the need for A lot of credits regardless. 200 plat requires quite a bit of credirs to trade.

Warframe is not an MMO.

Youre misunderstanding MMO.

There are MMORPGs and general MMOG's. Warframe can be considered a Role Playing game due to the fact you play multiple characters minus the initial character customization, which is replaced with a dyanmic cusomization. The ability to chamge colors and cosmetics whenever you wamt given you have the cosmetics to use.

MMO stands for Massive Multiplayer Online. Last I checked Warframe is Online based even if ur going solo. It has a massive community and it's strictly multiplayer. It fits the catagory of an MMOG.

Youre misunderstanding MMO.

There are MMORPGs and general MMOG's. Warframe can be considered a Role Playing game due to the fact you play multiple characters minus the initial character customization, which is replaced with a dyanmic cusomization. The ability to chamge colors and cosmetics whenever you wamt given you have the cosmetics to use.

MMO stands for Massive Multiplayer Online. Last I checked Warframe is Online based even if ur going solo. It has a massive community and it's strictly multiplayer. It fits the catagory of an MMOG.

So does every online game ever made then.

So does every online game ever made then.

You can catagorize them as MMOG's.

Edit: to also reply to your other quote if you watched one of the Dev streams I cant remember which they added a clip of a possible overhaul of the star chart in the sense of all players on Mercury are in a tenno space station possibly supported by dedicated servers, which will support more than 4 people.

World of Warcraft had 5 player dungeons than larger raiding groups.

This can be easily done for Survival missions by combining both Raid and Survival. That's 8 players right there. Will they do it? Idk.

Edited by Phobose

why the ice .. why the ice ??? BECAUSE IT S CHILLY OUT THERE MATE §

as for the trading ..to goal is to make people use plat, and rebuy more, creds are just here to make craft, and are drain with big trades too :)

jupiter .. i got nothing, i like it but .. heh, subjective :) the match making will prolly change when more urgent matter will be treated :)

Edited by kimahn

I have played MMO's since the early 80's.  Warframe is definitely an MMO.  It sure kicks the &#! of those early games and many current MMO's. Even some with more bells and whistles.

This is also a FPS.  Though you play it in third person fixed view.  A setting made to help situation awareness eliminating the need to program extra actions.  Most FPS'rs have a third person view that can be turned on... this game just happens to have it always on.  I cut my teeth on FPS'rs in the 90's.  This is better than any of them.

Edited by mpastor

If you look at it the wiki say this

"which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously." 4 players is a very small number.

4 players in squad yes. but the the game itself holds a million at the same time. and if you wanna get technical you can fit over 500 easy in a single dojo.

-snip-

Yes it is an MMO... 

Unfortunately a lot of people cant tell the difference between an MMO & MMORPG.

1 - Ice isnt a massive problem, you should learn to love it, it makes you play more carefully and gives you a different feel for the game.

Personally I love the Nightmare mode missions where you dont have a shield at all... Wish they would give us Nightmare Mode Towers already.

2 - It cant be Jupiter... Jupiter is one of the better looking places, it actually has a unique feel to it. The problem is Neural Sensors themselves... Why are they only found on Jupiter and nowhere else ? There is no other resource this scarce and to make it worse yes you need it for everything!

The ideal thing to do would be to put NS on another planet... Maybe Ceres and remove the Orokin Cells since we get them in Derelict anyways.

Trading system does suck yes... If they are going to allow us to trade it should be at an auction / trading post not in an irc channel... But trading for anything should be a last resort and anything that is bought at the trading post needs to be soulbound so it cant be resold eliminating the re-sellers trying to make a buck.

I forgot what I was talking about now... Damn daylight saving screwed me up bigtime!

Lets see;

1. Ice. I have not seen as a problem, but have not encountered it much. Then again when I do I do not notice, but as that I have been here a while I have little ground to stand on when considering a new players problems with ice.

2. Jupiter.  As above, I have not had a problem, but I got my farming done way back back when the J3-Golem was in control of Themisto and the only tile sets were ships so...maybe this does suck (might be comparable to how Control Modules were back in the day.

3. Squad Recruitment.  Agreed, this has been ignored far too long. Unfortunately, as it currently does not even if not well, it is likely not high on the priorities. One thing I can say is: Please stop adding me to groups that fail .5 seconds after I load (More to the RNG gods than DE).

4. Player trading. - I think that allowing plat to be traded was a bad idea. I also believe that removing it now would be a far worse idea. It worked, and while some of us do not like that plat has become the standard trade currency, changing it would cause far too many problems at this point.

Also: Did this devolve into arguing rather or not this TPS needed the MMO prefix?

For those of you having issue's finding Neural Sensor's SCREW Themisto, don't use Alad V and his damn robot cat to farm up sensors. Equip your best gear and go to Elara its a survival I myself usually get anywhere between 2-6 Neural Sensors for a 30 min run.

No, you'd just categorize them as multiplayer.

I might be loosely using the term MMO than. If the player base is large, in the millions range than id guess you can use the Term MMO along with the Genre.

Edited by Phobose

Agreed on Ice and Squads. 
I actually have the exact opposite problem with Jupiter: I really like the new tileset, but I never have a reason to GO there. I'm legit curious what you've been building that needs Neural Sensors.

As for Trading, I don't really understand your problem. I could see the argument if DE wasn't CONSTANTLY locking vital mods up in super-rare enemies, but they do, so trading is pretty much necessary. As for trading for plat, it gives F2P players a way to get more slots, which I wholeheartedly support.

Edited by OblivionNecroninja

Lets see...

4. Player trading. - I think that allowing plat to be traded was a bad idea. I also believe that removing it now would be a far worse idea. It worked, and while some of us do not like that plat has become the standard trade currency, changing it would cause far too many problems at this point.

Also: Did this devolve into arguing rather or not this TPS needed the MMO prefix?

My concern about plat trading is not so much good or bad idea but rather is it a legal idea.  I mean essentially what is done is people give real money in exchange for this unregulated "plat".  Now, this sounds fishy to me on a number of levels.  

Imagine if I started giving out some fake currency lets call it MPs in exchange for real money.  Suppose people started trading their MP's for things like cars, houses, .... Suppose other people started to accumulate lots of these MP's through trades.  I would think an organization called the IRS might have some issues with this.  

It just seems like a risky move for the company to make (plat trading).  It seems to open up the game designers up to legal and liability issues.  But, maybe I am wrong.  if it was my game... i would not allow it.  You can only buy from the game store and then items are bound.  Trading between players occurs with in-game currency and in-game items.

Edited by mpastor

@mpastor

Only issue with your hypothetical is that already happened with bitcoin (and all of its derivatives such as dogecoin).

And IRS so far hasn't done much for it.

Fact of currency is that it only has value as long as people agree that it does. And as long as they agree it has value it will.

And it doesn't really open the game up to liability or anything else.

You agree to various terms and conditions (as well as limiting/removing the liability in such cases as the game just ups and disappears) when you agree to buy the currency. So DE and its game is fairly protected.

And I think that its a *really* good thing that they are allowing plat trading.

I can give my friends some plat and stuff and they can buy slots and colors and everything else.

That allows the completely free players a chance at having more gear and more colors. A very good thing in F2P games.

Agreed on Ice and Squads. 

I actually have the exact opposite problem with Jupiter: I really like the new tileset, but I never have a reason to GO there. I'm legit curious what you've been building that needs Neural Sensors.

As for Trading, I don't really understand your problem. I could see the argument if DE wasn't CONSTANTLY locking vital mods up in super-rare enemies, but they do, so trading is pretty much necessary. As for trading for plat, it gives F2P players a way to get more slots, which I wholeheartedly support.

You might have misunderstood me.  I am not against trade.  I am all for it and look forward to a better GUI, that's all.

I am building warframes, weapons, sentinals, sentinal weapons...  Each require a reactor or cat and these require neural sensors.  Each forma used to upgrade the masses of polarity changes requires NS.  If you get bolted by the G3 you need Ns's.  There are also some melee weapons and helmet sensors that require them.  Pretty much anything really useful uses them.  Have you really not noticed this?  I guess you buy a lot from the store.