The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Katana In The "warframe - The Sword Alone" Video

Seij

Forum discussions like this tend to be lacking in source reference. I'm not calling anyone a liar, we seem to have several knowledeable and passionate practitioners of the arts. Still, without reference to a source it will just be you saying it and asking us all to believe your words (sorry, school ruined my naïveté).

As a free encyclopedia Wikipedia might not be perfect at all times but a subject as popular as the nihonto is closely scrutinized and checked for proper references.

A recommended read for all questions about the origin of the forging techniques, curve of the blade, sheathing etc. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihonto

Edited by N4Z0M3KU

Forum discussions like this tend to be lacking in source reference. I'm not calling anyone a liar, we seem to have several knowledeable and passionate practitioners of the arts. Still, without reference to a source it will just be you saying it and asking us all to believe your words (sorry, school ruined my naïveté).

As a free encyclopedia Wikipedia might not be perfect at all times but a subject as popular as the nihonto is closely scrutinized and checked for proper references.

A recommended read for all questions about the origin of the forging techniques, curve of the blade, sheathing etc. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihonto

Yeah. That also happens to lead to various other good articles on the subject. Like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koshirae#Koshirae .

I can't really do much regarding references unless you feel like subscribing to Swordsage and Skallagrim on Youtube or something, though. My subscriptions list is full of MA practitioner channels.

Lemme get back to this after I'm done filtering through my bookmarks for relevant sites I use for reference.

In the meantime, here are the channels of Swordsage and Skallagrim, who occasionally talk about Chinese martial arts and HEMA respectively while I go digging through my bookmarks: https://www.youtube.com/user/Swordsage https://www.youtube.com/user/SkallagrimNilsson

Edited by Sadwyrm

Yeah. That also happens to lead to various other good articles on the subject. Like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koshirae#Koshirae .

I can't really do much regarding references unless you feel like subscribing to Swordsage and Skallagrim on Youtube or something, though. My subscriptions list is full of MA practitioner channels.

Lemme get back to this after I'm done filtering through my bookmarks for relevant sites I use for reference.

In the meantime, here are the channels of Swordsage and Skallagrim, who occasionally talk about Chinese martial arts and HEMA respectively while I go digging through my bookmarks: https://www.youtube.com/user/Swordsage https://www.youtube.com/user/SkallagrimNilsson

Endless references would be tedious and take a lot of the fun out it all. It was simply meant as a reminder to us all that it's easy to get lost facing contradictory statements without knowing the person giving them or where they got their facts.

Haven't watched Skallagrim's videos. Perfect for a day off from work, waiting for the most frikkin' awesome update Warframe's had to date (HYPE). Thanks, Sadwyrm!

Endless references would be tedious and take a lot of the fun out it all. It was simply meant as a reminder to us all that it's easy to get lost facing contradictory statements without knowing the person giving them or where they got their facts.

Haven't watched Skallagrim's videos. Perfect for a day off from work, waiting for the most frikkin' awesome update Warframe's had to date (HYPE). Thanks, Sadwyrm!

How about I just compile the list for my own sake and post it here(while bookmarking this page) if anyone wants to look through them? I'm kind of halfway through digging through my Facebook timeline and I pretty much just noticed how long the blasted thing is, what with shares and all that.

EDIT: On second thought, I'll stick it all in my profile feed and see if that stays.

EDIT 2: Nevermind. That attempt failed badly.

EDIT 3: E-mailed to myself. Anyone want a patchwork list of the only references I can find that I use(curse my memory for remembering data and not URLs), please tell me.

Edited by Sadwyrm

Katana can be held both ways.

Yes, we happen to have gone over that point at least twice in this thread and there was a discussion in another thread prior to this one in which I did not participate where I believe the same point has been discussed at least five times.

Edited by Sadwyrm

It is awesome that they'll be using these weapons accurately. Sidenote: not all katana were worn blade up, the styles and type of katana vary significantly. also ninja used a Ninjato. katanas have a distinct curve in the blade. ninjato were straight bladed and shorter than their sheathe to provide a deceptively fast draw.

This is an pratical way to rolll having the sword on the back

To be fair, most of us discussing this stuff do not have much occasion to actually go out and try to infiltrate buildings with a sword on our backs so we very likely would not have that knowledge unless we were trained by a teacher of a tried-and-true art that teaches that. Also, regarding the way the guy in the video draws a sword... It's basically using a flexible variable axis drawing maneuvre as opposed the the fixed axis blade drawing motions most of us are familiar with nowadays. And as always, anyone practicing a shinobi martial art will be cast into serious doubt and questioning. Mainly because we are not familiar with their techniques and knowledgeable references on their styles and equipment are scarce at best, even with the Iga museum and the Ban clan's current grandmaster declaring that he would rather die and end Ban clan ninjutsu than extend it for even one more generation.

It is awesome that they'll be using these weapons accurately. Sidenote: not all katana were worn blade up, the styles and type of katana vary significantly. also ninja used a Ninjato. katanas have a distinct curve in the blade. ninjato were straight bladed and shorter than their sheathe to provide a deceptively fast draw.

Third time going over this(iirc). I'd appreciate it if everyone repeatedly bringing this up without elaboration would also take into consideration the fact that ninja were mainly peasants and peasants were mainly not allowed to train extensively in martial arts or own dedicated weapons. IF the ninjato existed as an actual sword, it would be made of an inferior metal alloy because the swordsmith would just be an average blacksmith. The forge would probably be smaller and limit the length that the blade can be. The technique used to forge said ninja sword would not be the same as that used to forge a katana because the blacksmith would have a hell of a time learning that with no teacher or tamahagane. The weapon by itself would not be placed in such a conspicuous sheath and have such a distinctive handguard and hilt. IF blades were being forged, they would have to be concealable. No peasant could be allowed to be seen with a sword so easily identifiable as a weapon of a possible dishonourable traitor and they would have no legal way of getting one so having an obvious sword would be a death sentence.

Assuming the Iga museum replicas really are referencing an enigmatic weapon for which sources are hard to obtain, the handguard is to guard the hand from sliding onto the blade and the circular ones used on katanas can take quite a lot of skill to forge according to one of my lost references which puts out a lot of theory. It's easier to take a block of iron and hammer it flat while it's red-hot.

Edited by Sadwyrm

+1 However if its not a katana....

The Tachi is worn edge down.  A Katana, which is more fragile, is worn blade up.  But in a fantasy world where the blades would not be made with terrible quality steel and iron, you can wear the blade edge down and not worry about dulling it.

In other words, it's fine as is.

Let me see if I've got this right...a Katana is normally worn / carried with the blade facing up. But when faced with combat, the scabbard is rotated so that the blade faces down or outwards to permit the wielder to draw the Katana and attack an opponent in one swift upwards or sideways stroke.

I understand that the traditional explanation for wearing (and storing) the Katana blade up was to preserve the integrity of the blade itself...but this is the far future we're talking about. Wouldn't a Katana (and its scabbard for that matter) from this time period be made of, you know, superior materials and made with superior techniques that would also eliminate the need to store a Katana blade up when not in use? That being the case, I'd be wearing the Katana blade down so that I would always be able to draw and attack in one motion.

All that being said...No disrespect intended for all concerned here, but I feel the devs had it right the first time.

Just saying.

I'm still here. I blame the notifications.

wait a minute...is this what delayed update 13 to next week?

It's one of the reasons for a delayed Update 13, along with the long and boring discussions of those of the Warframe community training in martial arts willing to rationally discuss our martial styles probably informing the Digital Extremes staff of more possible errors they might have to go over.

And there's also the time-proven fact that all programmers know: You can program the best .cpp, .h (or any other programming extension) in the world, it can be perfect in every way. There can be no errors after you have checked it for the fifteenth time. But as soon as you stick it in the program where it's supposed to be, there will be a thousand errors and bugs. People think I praise Digital Extremes' hard work because I'm an asskisser. It's actually because I have gotten a few hundred errors on even a simple .cpp/.h file relation barely 500 lines. In a different header completely unrelated to the program. So something like Warframe that happens to have enough codes and calculations to make anyone except another programmer think it's just rubbish jumbled word clusters(in a document a few[or a few tens of] dictionaries thick) they're looking at has the potential to bug out almost everywhere, especially if the programmers/etc. were focusing on making the update as opposed to testing it.

The Tachi is worn edge down.  A Katana, which is more fragile, is worn blade up.  But in a fantasy world where the blades would not be made with terrible quality steel and iron, you can wear the blade edge down and not worry about dulling it.

In other words, it's fine as is.

Fourth person to mention a variant of the tachi/katana difference in this thread(iirc). Please read the entire thread before putting forward the edge direction argument to save space and stop me from drowning people in words. There's even one person mentioning that the edge direction is an indicator of peace and war. Really, please read the entire thread. You may skip my monologue replies if you wish to.

And even in a non-fantasy realistic world which is currently in the 21st century on the date of 04/04/14, there are blades not made of "terrible quality steel and iron". Some are ceramic, some are of higher grade steel alloy. It is rare nowadays to have a weapon made in the traditional styles, and even when they are made traditional, pretty much everyone except the 20 or so registered smiths in Japan will use the highest grade modern steel obtainable unless they are a manufacturer focusing on profits or a cheapskate. And there are "legendary" laser-sharpened steel/ceramic/alloy blades which are supposed to never lose their edge at the disadvantage of possibly cutting through their scabbard and user if their blades run along either while drawing or during usage. While having an ultra-sharp sword is cool in theory, many martial artists will agree that having something like Raiden's sword-of-everything-cutting +10 from MGS:R is actually a serious disadvantage since making even a slight mistake will kill you almost instantly.

Let me see if I've got this right...a Katana is normally worn / carried with the blade facing up. But when faced with combat, the scabbard is rotated so that the blade faces down or outwards to permit the wielder to draw the Katana and attack an opponent in one swift upwards or sideways stroke.

I understand that the traditional explanation for wearing (and storing) the Katana blade up was to preserve the integrity of the blade itself...but this is the far future we're talking about. Wouldn't a Katana (and its scabbard for that matter) from this time period be made of, you know, superior materials and made with superior techniques that would also eliminate the need to store a Katana blade up when not in use? That being the case, I'd be wearing the Katana blade down so that I would always be able to draw and attack in one motion.

All that being said...No disrespect intended for all concerned here, but I feel the devs had it right the first time.

Just saying.

Fifth person.

In all honesty... You've got most of it either wrong or mistaken, if you have the time to read the entire thread, you'll notice. A katana was mainly worn edge up to indicate your clan is at war while edge down signifies peace. For storage it is kept blade up for integrity and edge maintenance, but that pretty much applies due to the shape of the blade, where gravity can over time drag everything in the blade down to the point closest to the ground. Physics, really. Nowadays there are also no true clan wars and as such, what the schools teach is only the war methods because obviously nobody's going to be fighting a war while calling it peace unless you're Russia annexing Crimea or something similar.

The direction the edge faces only affects the direction of the draw-cut motion, blade facing up while drawing is desirable because it will arc in such a way while drawing that you can enter the neutral combat stance almost instantly due to tendon tension and natural motion of the arm, but that only applies if you are not an adherent of Battou/Iai, mainly practice drawn sword techniques or just happen not to have the luxury of facing a single opponent, in the last of which it would be more efficient to cut down your first opponent in as few strikes as possible so you can face another.

And the shape of the katana pretty much means you will have to store it edge up unless you want a blunter edge regardless of material superiority or happen to not be using the forging technique used to forge a traditional katana(in which case it would not be a katana or nihonto but a sabre with a katana's hilt), explanation previously provided. Cavalry sabres are blunt because you have an entire running horse behind your blade so there's no loss by blunting it. Which resulted in the belief that all swords are either blunt or razor sharp. Oh, and if the scabbard is made of the same material as the blade, there is a chance that improper construction and drawing will cause friction between the blade and the scabbard resulting in a dull blade again. There's an extra reason why the scabbard is rarely made of the same material as the blade.

And the advantage of drawing a katana from an angle outside of that of the blade facing downwards is mainly that it enables the person drawing the blade to easily catch the hilt without undue suffering, especially since drawing it upwards in that direction requires that you either circle the sword around to catch it in a different stance or stop it while it's up and dropping your hilt straight down, which would still take longer than drawing from pretty much every other angle. The other angles also take advantage of the elasticity of the tendons in your hand, which allow you to add more(albeit unintentional) power behind the cut while cutting straight upwards will rely almost solely on your muscles. You also lose the power you could have gained by rotating your body at the waist while cutting.

There's also the fact that you will have a harder time keeping the blade aligned with an upward cut because the stress is all on your hand. And it's actually easy to stop someone cutting you with that kind of draw unless they happen to have extremely well-developed wrist muscles. If you have something tough or just another sword or something, push at the blade and the guy drawing will now have lost their advantage as the blade slides harmlessly across whatever you're holding(hope it's not a katana) and leaves them completely open for a counterattack while their hand hurts unless they were trained to respond to that situation. This would result in practitioners questioning the point of actually having something as useless and easily stoppable as that in their repertoire, though. It's something you mainly pick up by practicing the art, even though an upwards draw looks more useful to the average person.

Keep in mind this is not from a very advanced kenjutsu practitioner. I have experimented with that same thing and hurt my wrist for a while, though I wasn't using a katana. Whether the blade is real or not only affects something if whoever you're swinging at is supposed to really die from it during practice.

Oh, and the skeletal composition of the human body(which Grineer and Corpus share) would easily result in the blade getting damaged, even if it is of superior stock, simply by virtue of incorrect alignment and bone hardness. That just means it will get damaged somewhere else unless... Well, it will get damaged unless it can cut an Orokin ship in half. With the flat of the blade.

Edited by Sadwyrm

Do someone liked the name "Nikana" for the katana? I can't really take this name serious, could call it just "katana".

After this, I want to be able to change the name of my weapons...

Something lifted directly from historical texts about Japanese swords would sound better, in my opinion. Heck, even taking Kotetsu and putting the "ko" at the back to form "Tetsuko" with a single differing kanji would sound better.

... My intended meaning for "Tetsuko/Tekkou" would be "Iron Tiger", although "Kotetsu" can refer to either an ancient swordsmith or Japan's first recorded Ironclad ship depending on the kanji.

Edited by Sadwyrm

Just saying.

That's what I'm saying.

Snip

The whole wearing the Katana edge up in modern times is all about tradition.  Not about the quality of the weapon.  But back when the Katana was prevalent, namely the Tokugawa era (The Shogun loved the sword over all else.  Before then the Spear was the ultimate weapon in battle), Japanese steel was crap compared to European.equivalent.  In fact, the Europeans had tried the same folding technique for their weapons, but found that their own metal crafting methods was better.  The Japanese had bog iron, with softer and more crumbling traits.  And so they had to figure out a method of making a long blade that could hold an edge and not break after one swing.  Hence the folding technique.

Katana have one advantage over most other swords, it's ability to keep an edge, namely with the tear drop shape naturally making to a point.  But the fact that's layers of iron and steel, and poor quality iron, you can't really sharpen it without exposing the iron core, which would rust and destroy the blade.

Here's something else, you could consider.  Although the Nikana may be BASED off the Katana, it's obviously not one.  Mainly because every long sword is used in a single hand.  Like a saber fencer.  This means that it's not true Kenjutsu.  So having the blade held down, Western style, fits because no one wants to re-animate the Long Swords into a vaguely Kenjutsu style.

I am obliged by my teacher to ask for the name of your style. So... What would the name of your style be?

Many I read about who practice HEMA consider it strange that the Japanese did not develop the broadsword-style longsword during that period. Something about the tactical advantage of having two edges instead of one. And another something about how it's less of a bother to figure out which side has the edge for draw-cut motions. Among other somethings.

... Keep in mind that the "many" I speak of reading happen to about make up a certain percentage of the HEMA practitioner population. More specifically the ones somewhere between the "MY KANG FOE ES BE'ER DUN YIORS" bunch and the sarcastic smart-&#! "AI HABU RERUNTO ZA KATANA ANUDO ITTO IZU YUUSURESU" bunch. The ones who put it up to serious discussion. And then there are those who bothered to read about the forging technique used and point out how a technique similar to the forging technique used for the katana had surfaced outside of Japan over a thousand years prior.

Iaijutsu, (the older form of Iaido) but it definitely isn't the modern representation you see nowadays. Try looking up those old sepia YouTube videos, as theyre the most accurate form I could find. I have to say it is heavily influenced by his Judo training, however (A lot of his movements and footwork are drawn from there). But I do think that my family has tried to stay away from modern day styles and just follow Busjutsu as much as possible. Edited by UpgradeInProgress

The whole wearing the Katana edge up in modern times is all about tradition.  Not about the quality of the weapon.  But back when the Katana was prevalent, namely the Tokugawa era (The Shogun loved the sword over all else.  Before then the Spear was the ultimate weapon in battle), Japanese steel was crap compared to European.equivalent.  In fact, the Europeans had tried the same folding technique for their weapons, but found that their own metal crafting methods was better.  The Japanese had bog iron, with softer and more crumbling traits.  And so they had to figure out a method of making a long blade that could hold an edge and not break after one swing.  Hence the folding technique.

Katana have one advantage over most other swords, it's ability to keep an edge, namely with the tear drop shape naturally making to a point.  But the fact that's layers of iron and steel, and poor quality iron, you can't really sharpen it without exposing the iron core, which would rust and destroy the blade.

Here's something else, you could consider.  Although the Nikana may be BASED off the Katana, it's obviously not one.  Mainly because every long sword is used in a single hand.  Like a saber fencer.  This means that it's not true Kenjutsu.  So having the blade held down, Western style, fits because no one wants to re-animate the Long Swords into a vaguely Kenjutsu style.

Finally someone who has the sense to just cut everything out of the quote and leave my name there so I know they're talking to me. Actually, pretty much every location other than the area now known as the Middle East has had to deal with crap iron for ages. Actual ages. The higher quality stuff was almost always imported from the Middle East or India or something. The folding/compounding method also surfaced because of the horrible ore/alloy quality obtainable by multiple different cultures at different times of their development. The Chinese Jian imported from China were said to be of rather good quality despite being jian and not made of very good ore, though. Also, the layers of bad quality metal and all that are the exact reason why I said everyone except the traditionalist swordsmiths prohibited to very few swords per month or something will use the best quality stuff available unless they're a profit-driven company.

Oh, and the edge-keeping thing is the general idea when you have some of the worst quality ore and use folding/compounding techniques. Seems to have worked very well with attempts at recreating bronze khopesh(s?[... what's the plural for an ancient Egyptian word, anyway?]), too.

I do know that, by the way. Animation is always a pain, and triple the trouble when you're doing 3D. From watching the preview on the Devstream, I do kind of doubt a saber fencer moves like that with a sword in hand, though. Besides, the drawing cut isn't exclusive to kenjutsu and can be found in a lot of old longsword fencing manuals, from what I've been seeing with people reconstructing it all like crazy in funny clothes. It is true that many kenjutsu practitioners who move on to HEMA will be greatly influenced by their time with kenjutsu, but if they are more observant, they would probably find out that that style of sword and fencing found in HEMA would have been what kenjutsu would have evolved into had the Japanese been given another thousand or so years to bash the crap out of each other with their swords if trade routes stayed open. It's all wishful thinking now, but it is possible, given that the German fencing style and their longswords have a lot more utility, especially if someone is wearing protective gauntlets.

EDIT: And in all honesty, I still find the name "Nikana" a bit silly. The Nami Skyla(Was it "Skyla"? I only remember "Nami") was a strange name too, rather obviously referencing the tsunami. EDIT2: Or just the "nami" part of "tsunami". Would be funnier if they had named it "Namitsu Skyla", I could have made a joke about Famitsu if they had.

Iaijutsu, (the older form of Iaido) but it definitely isn't the modern representation you see nowadays. Try looking up those old sepia YouTube videos, as theyre the most accurate form I could find. I have to say it is heavily influenced by his Judo training, however (A lot of his movements and footwork are drawn from there). But I do think that my family has tried to stay away from modern day styles and just follow Busjutsu as much as possible.

... Would you happen to have a more individual name for it or is it generally an amalgamation of stuff learnt by your family over the generations like how Kalenath goes about collecting knowledge?

Edited by Sadwyrm

Finally someone who has the sense to just cut everything out of the quote and leave my name there so I know they're talking to me. Actually, pretty much every location other than the area now known as the Middle East has had to deal with crap iron for ages. Actual ages. The higher quality stuff was almost always imported from the Middle East or India or something. The folding/compounding method also surfaced because of the horrible ore/alloy quality obtainable by multiple different cultures at different times of their development. The Chinese Jian imported from China were said to be of rather good quality despite being jian and not made of very good ore, though. Also, the layers of bad quality metal and all that are the exact reason why I said everyone except the traditionalist swordsmiths prohibited to very few swords per month or something will use the best quality stuff available unless they're a profit-driven company.

Oh, and the edge-keeping thing is the general idea when you have some of the worst quality ore and use folding/compounding techniques. Seems to have worked very well with attempts at recreating bronze khopesh(s?[... what's the plural for an ancient Egyptian word, anyway?]), too.

I do know that, by the way. Animation is always a pain, and triple the trouble when you're doing 3D. From watching the preview on the Devstream, I do kind of doubt a saber fencer moves like that with a sword in hand, though. Besides, the drawing cut isn't exclusive to kenjutsu and can be found in a lot of old longsword fencing manuals, from what I've been seeing with people reconstructing it all like crazy in funny clothes. It is true that many kenjutsu practitioners who move on to HEMA will be greatly influenced by their time with kenjutsu, but if they are more observant, they would probably find out that that style of sword and fencing found in HEMA would have been what kenjutsu would have evolved into had the Japanese been given another thousand or so years to bash the crap out of each other with their swords if trade routes stayed open. It's all wishful thinking now, but it is possible, given that the German fencing style and their longswords have a lot more utility, especially if someone is wearing protective gauntlets.

EDIT: And in all honesty, I still find the name "Nikana" a bit silly. The Nami Skyla(Was it "Skyla"? I only remember "Nami") was a strange name too, rather obviously referencing the tsunami. EDIT2: Or just the "nami" part of "tsunami". Would be funnier if they had named it "Namitsu Skyla", I could have made a joke about Famitsu if they had.

... Would you happen to have a more individual name for it or is it generally an amalgamation of stuff learnt by your family over the generations like how Kalenath goes about collecting knowledge?

After coming back from breakfast, I have to add that doing the folding method and leaving the blade downwards will probably have the same effect on the blade as gravity does on folded paper where the thing slowly(very slowly) gets unraveled. I am very likely wrong as I have yet to touch a katana.

EDIT: Oh, and draw-cutting was removed from the European fencing syllabus when they started putting basket hilts and knuckle protectors and stuff on everything(Possibly incorrect). It would be harder to grab the hilt for a draw like a katana or basketless longsword and if you tried you'd probably rap your fingers very hard on the hilt and whatever extra spikes, diamonds and some such that you put on it to look fancy and cool, so most attempts would probably end with someone rolling on the floor clutching their fingers and screaming in pain, if not outright crying. The knuckle protection also came about when swords became more civilianised(I refuse to call it civilised just because) and it was a point of honour to just wait for your opponent to draw their sword, iirc.

Edited by Sadwyrm

We just follow the general principles, the majority of it is family knowledge and experience. There was a period where my family did not see battle often (when Lord Himeji was at the height of his power) but otherwise it is drawn from battlefield experience and passed down. Nowadays I practice martial arts with people from multiple other schools, it's very interesting to see not only how they handle the sword but also hand-to-hand combat. So yes, I do go around collecting knowledge but only what I see as practical or more efficient makes its way into my practice.