Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rhino's Stomp

Boondorl

I ask that we please try and stay on topic and not point fingers and claim other Warframes are more OP. This post is not meant to invalidate those claims, it's meant to fix the current topic. Yes, Nova, Loki, and to a degree Trinity do all need to be looked at. This however is not a topic about them.

So, Rhino. Quite the history this Warframe has. He went from his Iron Skin being the most OP ability in the game, to getting nerfed into utter uselessness, and is now back on his throne of tanking.

Iron Skin, for the most part, is in an ok spot. I'd prefer to have a limited duration time back with no health cap to promote smarter use of Iron Skin. But hey, we're stuck with this, so I suppose it's ok. Iron Skin falls off pretty hard late game due to the small health size, so usually Rhinos will start to resort to their more useful ("new") ability, Roar. With Rhino's old 3rd skill and ult being combined, he's in a much more supporty role than he was before, which is where I feel DE wanted him to be. However, there are lots of complaints about his ult and how it can be "spammed."

The Problem

Damage wise, his ult isn't all that big. He has less damage than the likes of Oberon, Mag, and Ember. His ult is also blast damage, meaning it has no strengths nor weaknesses (except against Disruptors and Toxics). His ult's stasis can't be affected by duration mods, meaning building duration does nothing. This opens up Rhino to build freely into his other skills.

Some players, however, feel that his range is simply too high to deal out this damage. Other frames with damage ults are generally limited to smaller ranges to make up for it. Another bug is that if spammed fast enough, Rhino's ult isn't limited to a cooldown like it normally would be.

The Solution?

Back when Rhino's ult was separated into 2 skills, his 3rd skill did lots of damage in a small AoE while his ult simply locked enemies in stasis in a large AoE. Whenever current Rhino stomps, however, we can still see extra damage is being applied to enemies close to him along side the current damage dealt to all enemies. So, how do we fix Rhino's ult? Simple.

Make Rhino ult's damage limited to a certain range like his 3 skill was, and have the rest of the enemies beyond this range get locked in stasis while taking no damage. This means that Rhino's ult will only do damage in a small-ish radius around him, while locking enemies down far away still. In order to get a lot of damage off in a group of enemies, he'll have to jump into the middle of them, which shouldn't be a problem given his Iron Skin ignores CC and status procs. This gives Rhino a more close quarters feel, like how his old kit was intended to be. Players will have to jump into the action to do some damage.

The Result

Rhino's ult damage will no longer be applied in a larger radius than any other Warframe's damage ult. His ult will be more supporty than damage heavy, securing Rhino's role as a support tank over a damage monster. This keeps his ult useful without any nerfs of damage into the ground.

Other Warframes

As I mentioned at the start, let's not turn this into a finger pointing contest. Yes, there are other abilities on Warframes that are too strong. Yes, they do need some tweaking, but that is not what this topic is about. Please refrain from bringing up other 2stronk Warframe abilities as an argument that Rhino's Stomp isn't OP.

So, it has medicore damage, medicore utility and long range. You want medicore damage, medicore utility and medicore range, creating a "meh" ability that is not great in anything.

Sorry, but no. Stomp is fine as it is.

And Rhino is supposed to be a tank/DD combo. Not tank/support.

The problem with ult spamming isn't a Rhino problem - Heck, for a frame that uses a skill like iron skin as much as Rhino does coupled with his relatively low energy, Rhino is able to spam his ult LESS than other frames. Ult spamming is a problem with Warframe in general.

I understand what you're proposing with respect to damage drop off, and I feel that in high-level content many Rhino users don't even use the skill for damage. I'm not sure that this will actually affect the bottom line for Rhino users or make him any less unstoppable in low-tier content.

Also, lol @ "and to a degree Trinity." Sorry :( Had to say it.

Edited by Seox

Nope.Avi let me explain

Sure Iron Skin dosent take as much damage but it resists knockdown,disruptor,toxic,etc..

Rhino Stomp is OP have you seen corrupted rhino builds? They don't even require much forma.

Rhino has roar probably the best attack buff in the entire game.

He even has a fkn mobility ability (rhino charge)

Rhino has the highest health rating, 2nd highest armor rating, highest shield rating in game.

So no. Rhino is too op and i say we either keep him the way he is or nerf him completely.

And stop with these posts, the way everything is now is alright, DE has more important things to focus on such as melee 2.0 and the endgame content which is a much more apparent issue.

So, it has medicore damage, medicore utility and long range. You want medicore damage, medicore utility and medicore range, creating a "meh" ability that is not great in anything.

When did I mention mediocre range? I simply said to put a range cap on the damage itself, the stasis range would remain the same and is arguably one of the strongest CCs in the game. I have no idea why you're sh*tting on it so hard.

A lot of people would like to disagree with that.

When did I mention mediocre range? I simply said to put a range cap on the damage itself, the stasis range would remain the same and is arguably one of the strongest CCs in the game. I have no idea why you're sh*tting on it so hard.

You said it right here.

A lot of people would like to agree with that, so that's 1:1.

Nope.Avi let me explain

Sure Iron Skin dosent take as much damage but it resists knockdown,disruptor,toxic,etc..

Rhino Stomp is OP have you seen corrupted rhino builds? They don't even require much forma.

Rhino has the highest health rating, 2nd highest armor rating, highest shield rating in game.

So no. Rhino is too op and i say we either keep him the way he is or nerf him completely.

Um...you realize this is a post meant to fix this, right? Rhino is clearly meant for close quarters battle. This change would simply secure that.

And stop with these posts, the way everything is now is alright, DE has more important things to focus on such as melee 2.0 and the endgame content which is a much more apparent issue.

Um? This is a feedback section for Warframe abilities. Are we simply never supposed to post anything here until DE says they're done with a project? I doubt DE is even reading these. I have no idea what your intent was behind that statement aside from being an arse for no reason. Did my post offend you? I'm sorry if it did.

Edited by Boondorl

This is ironic given you just made a post about how OP Rhino is, so...I'm going to say you.

facepalm.gif

I think you're so mad you don't even know what you're saying anymore. Let me recap for you.

Name me a few

to be honest it kinda sounded like his old 3 ability before Rhino stomp got the damage AND the stasis....

personally I have no issues with how Rhino is at this point of time. if anything I find that I'm using Rhino charge the LEAST out of all his skills. my only other gripe would be that there is no way to tell how much you have left on your Iron Skin when it is cast.

aside from that personally I think he's in a pretty good spot right now.