Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ip Temporarily Blocked?

wrongkoi

Question

So, I tried to buy some platinum cause I got a discount but I can't even log. Something about my IP being temporarily blocked cause there were too many incorrect login attempts. I guess I just gotta wait? Wondering if anyone could let me know around when I'd be able to log in again.

24 answers to this question

Well, we just had a DDOS, so you're apparently part of the problem. I'd suggest submitting a support ticket with info about any odd things you may have done that infected your computer in such a way that it became part of a bot net.

So, I tried to buy some platinum cause I got a discount but I can't even log. Something about my IP being temporarily blocked cause there were too many incorrect login attempts. I guess I just gotta wait? Wondering if anyone could let me know around when I'd be able to log in again.

Tell me about it... :l [

I have to use a mobile device, in order to post now. That error prevents me from logging in. It's a bit frustrating, bt alas, we can only wait.

same here! major pain in the &#! :/ I´ve no experience with DDoS attacks and i´m not sure what more i can doto make sure i´m not part of the problem, other then letting my Anti Virus do it´s thing. Does anybody have some suggestions for me? Would be much apreciated!^^

Edited by r0ckwolf

I was just taking a shot in the dark, it could be an IP range that your IP falls under. So if you're not directly part of the problem then you're accidentally flagged as a participant in the attack. 

The way a DDoS works, (to my knowledge) is you get a large group of computers infected with some sort of spyware, likely a trojan (I may be a touch off since there's a billion "malware" variety types out there). Step two is simply "spreading the love". this is where your infected computer infects other computers or devices, commonly over an unsecured network or a home network. Step three is getting the computers altogether and unified, this is called a botnet.

This botnet (which is a good number of infected devices) now receives a target command. Target command contains a targeted IP or range of IP addresses. Then each of these devices will send many "login" requests. Which causes the server to respond with "access denied". Once this is received, every member of the botnet will simultaneously send multiple requests to the server, causing the server to check the information in a database, and then spit back access denied. 

Doesn't sound too bad right? Wrong, the server takes time to look through the database and then spit back an access message (granted or not). But since you have many computers (hundreds or thousands) you get thousands of these requests in a small amount of time, let's say 0.1 milliseconds, and the server to query a database would take about 0.05 milliseconds per one query. Multiply this by a thousand requests in a span of 0.1 milliseconds, and the server cannot respond fast enough.

Does that make sense? For example if your IP is something like 128.1.1.1 and the botnet filter is set for 128.1.*.* because the attacks came from 128.1.2.3, 128.1.1.7, 128.1.64.130, etc.. that means you're flagged as a possible member of the botnet because your IP falls between those ranges.

I was just taking a shot in the dark, it could be an IP range that your IP falls under. So if you're not directly part of the problem then you're accidentally flagged as a participant in the attack.

The way a DDoS works, (to my knowledge) is you get a large group of computers infected with some sort of spyware, likely a trojan (I may be a touch off since there's a billion "malware" variety types out there). Step two is simply "spreading the love". this is where your infected computer infects other computers or devices, commonly over an unsecured network or a home network. Step three is getting the computers altogether and unified, this is called a botnet.

This botnet (which is a good number of infected devices) now receives a target command. Target command contains a targeted IP or range of IP addresses. Then each of these devices will send many "login" requests. Which causes the server to respond with "access denied". Once this is received, every member of the botnet will simultaneously send multiple requests to the server, causing the server to check the information in a database, and then spit back access denied.

Doesn't sound too bad right? Wrong, the server takes time to look through the database and then spit back an access message (granted or not). But since you have many computers (hundreds or thousands) you get thousands of these requests in a small amount of time, let's say 0.1 milliseconds, and the server to query a database would take about 0.05 milliseconds per one query. Multiply this by a thousand requests in a span of 0.1 milliseconds, and the server cannot respond fast enough.

Does that make sense? For example if your IP is something like 128.1.1.1 and the botnet filter is set for 128.1.*.* because the attacks came from 128.1.2.3, 128.1.1.7, 128.1.64.130, etc.. that means you're flagged as a possible member of the botnet because your IP falls between those ranges.

This makes a lot of sense,thanks a lot!^^ I did everything in my power to ensure my pc is clean and i´m pretty sure that i´m not infected. I am still curious to know how long this block will be active. It´s been over 12 hours now! Edited by r0ckwolf