Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Boar Prime Or Phage To Potato?

PrimalMayhem

Question

14 answers to this question

I feel Boar Prime needs several Forma to be ready for high level content. But it can be brutal.

The Phage is very powerful but has limited range and requires you to focus the beams for max dmg. Plus some folks just don't like shotguns no matter how different they are...

The Phage requires less attention to for higher DPS

Whichever one you like using more.  It is your call. 

While Phage has the higher DPS of the two, many folks don't like the tenacles on the weapon. I have no problem with it as I can do a variety of settings with it to focus on a group of enemies or a single target.  Phage is a nice complement to my Zephyr's tornados.  Launch the tornados and light them up with the Phage's elemental damage.   Tornades have corrosive, viral and cold (or blast) from the Phage.  I have no issue with the Phage's limited range, which is slightly longer than the Synapse.  5m I think.  I just use my Marelok if I need to snipe something.

As I don't have Boar Prime, I can't speak to that.

Have both the Boar Prime and the Phage, and I can say I like the Phage much more.

Phage does not suffer from shotgun damage falloff (as far as I'm aware), can still focus beams to a fairly tight circle even with vicious spread on, and variable spread makes it more versatile than pretty much all other weapons in the shotgun class. Don't forget the pretty good ammunition efficiency and high base damage makes it a prime choice for a potato, even though it works decent without.

On the other hand, jumping, landing or going off a ledge resets your focus, so some people may not like the fact that you have to constantly reset your cone of fire.

Overall, the Phage is both easier to acquire, and more versatile. My recommendation is to potato the phage, then try using the boar and see if you like a more conventional shotgun better.

Both.

They have somewhat different niches, but both are very effective.

The Boar Prime really requires multiple formas to see the true potential of its destructiveness.

The Phage is pretty much good to go with just a potato. It has more limitations in mod usage, so multiple formas are less of a priority.

Both.

They have somewhat different niches, but both are very effective.

The Boar Prime really requires multiple formas to see the true potential of its destructiveness.

The Phage is pretty much good to go with just a potato. It has more limitations in mod usage, so multiple formas are less of a priority.

Phage is okay @ R30 but potatoed is just evil.

After much soul searching I decided to go with it and went for a quick run to test it's effectiveness.

And got jumped by the G3.

Didn't last long :) they just melted away.

Have both the Boar Prime and the Phage, and I can say I like the Phage much more.

Phage does not suffer from shotgun damage falloff (as far as I'm aware), can still focus beams to a fairly tight circle even with vicious spread on, and variable spread makes it more versatile than pretty much all other weapons in the shotgun class. Don't forget the pretty good ammunition efficiency and high base damage makes it a prime choice for a potato, even though it works decent without.

On the other hand, jumping, landing or going off a ledge resets your focus, so some people may not like the fact that you have to constantly reset your cone of fire.

Overall, the Phage is both easier to acquire, and more versatile. My recommendation is to potato the phage, then try using the boar and see if you like a more conventional shotgun better.

Whichever one you like using more.  It is your call. 

While Phage has the higher DPS of the two, many folks don't like the tenacles on the weapon. I have no problem with it as I can do a variety of settings with it to focus on a group of enemies or a single target.  Phage is a nice complement to my Zephyr's tornados.  Launch the tornados and light them up with the Phage's elemental damage.   Tornades have corrosive, viral and cold (or blast) from the Phage.  I have no issue with the Phage's limited range, which is slightly longer than the Synapse.  5m I think.  I just use my Marelok if I need to snipe something.

As I don't have Boar Prime, I can't speak to that.

Both if you can, if not, then phage > boar prime IMO. It's all personal preference really, the phage is unique while boar prime is pretty standard in terms of playstyle.

I feel Boar Prime needs several Forma to be ready for high level content. But it can be brutal.

The Phage is very powerful but has limited range and requires you to focus the beams for max dmg. Plus some folks just don't like shotguns no matter how different they are...

The Phage requires less attention to for higher DPS

Both if you can. However, the Phage is OP as hell and it's safe to say it has one of the highest DPS in this game.

According to http://dpsframe.com/, the phage hits for more than the boar prime, but I potatoed my boar since phage just didn't fit my playstyle. I didn't enjoy focusing down my sights to hit my targets. 

Thanks for advice guys, i think ill rank up both and then decide which i like more.