The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Use Vortex?

Sh1n3y

Question

Why use Vortex when you can use Bastille? It lasts a LOT longer, covers more area, and costs less! I know a lot of people use Vortex for infested missions, but I don't see the point when you can just use Bastille. With Blind Rage (7/10) and Intensify (5/5), Bastille can hold 24 targets. Quite a lot actually. Plus, if you space them out so that they aren't touching each-other, you can cast another one.

I have never had an issue stacking bastilles

I stand in ODD and spam 3x  all in the same spot.. and can effectively go afk.  with over 30 mobs lifted

Why not just Vortex? If you place it in the right spot is should pull all incoming infested in before they have a chance to do anything to the pod (assuming we're talking about defense here). No target limit. Combine this with a weapon with punch-through and you've got a cheap, ammo efficient, energy efficient, way of breezing through the mission. If you are willing to wait long enough (and/or have a sentinel) you can get through without having to shoot at all.

Why not just Vortex? If you place it in the right spot is should pull all incoming infested in before they have a chance to do anything to the pod (assuming we're talking about defense here). No target limit. Combine this with a weapon with punch-through and you've got a cheap, ammo efficient, energy efficient, way of breezing through the mission. If you are willing to wait long enough (and/or have a sentinel) you can get through without having to shoot at all.

Yeah. We got a bit distracted from the initial point of the post, but Vortex seems to definitely be the best with high wave infested once 2 Bastille aren't doing the trick anymore or you want to be really ammo efficient. However, if indeed Bastille can't be touching to work, then Vortex seems to trump Bastille even sooner. 

A question about Vortex though and Toxic Ancients: Aren't they always exuding their toxicness even while in the Vortex, so that you can't place that vortex too close to the pod without it getting damaged? On some maps (ODD in particular) that would mean the necessity for 2 Vortex to block off the paths without getting the Toxic Ancients too close to the pod. That's a lot of energy, especially considering it's lessened duration compared to Bastille. 

A question about Vortex though and Toxic Ancients: Aren't they always exuding their toxicness even while in the Vortex, so that you can't place that vortex too close to the pod without it getting damaged? On some maps (ODD in particular) that would mean the necessity for 2 Vortex to block off the paths without getting the Toxic Ancients too close to the pod. That's a lot of energy, especially considering it's lessened duration compared to Bastille. 

Yes, that's why it finding the perfect location is key. Close enough to pull all mobs, far enough to prevent the pod from taking damage. It shouldn't be too difficult to find that spot as the pull radius on vortex is large enough to give you a fair bit of tolerance. If you accidentally place it too close, just toss out another one slightly further away and it will pull the mobs away.

I've never had a situation where two vortexes were needed.

Once you get to very high levels (like been in there over an hour) the toxics aura starts getting powerful enough that just passing by the pod on its way to getting sucked into the vortex can take a good chunk of health out of it.

At very high levels I get paranoid - I start running a vortex in the middle of either staircase AND a Bastille around the pod. Energy management isnt really a problem with a big stockpile of energy with Flow, and with a Nekros forcing extra energy orb drops or a trin using EV. Even just with a proper aura setup of 3-4x ES's it tends to be fine.

Edit: OT, but an amusing story about Toxic Ancients aura in ODD - I was in an hour long ODD with no Trin and a Zephyr, and the **** kept using Tornado, and the flying Toxics were taking out people on top of the pillars... we were so confused for a while, couldn't see how they were dying.

Edited by Darzk

I love when there is a   vortex going  I just stand there with my orthos prime or dakra  prime and swing away and best part all the stuff in a neat pile for  a Neckros :o)   no need to run around 

Careful though. Died multiple times last night meleeing vortexed infested not realizing a toxic ancient was in the pile. 

Bastille for more control, and headshots

head shots is a massive impact, also.. banshee sonar.

and as a backup along side vortex.. because you have energy pissing out your ears, and you have been playing defense for the last 2 hours and your bored out your mind,