The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should I Quite Games?

Shalver

I admit that I tend to play for long hours of the day, without giving a thought about food, water, or family.

I wonder if gaming is even worth my time, yet I play on, make friends, and have fun.

But, now it's effecting everyone around me and I'm confused and scared, I don't want to lose anything.

What should I do? Should just quite and focus on what's real? Should I just forget reality and be a gamer all my life?

I need an answer, I need encourgement, I'm a weak minded bafoon who is asking for your opinion on what to do.

I'm lost, I'm broke, yet I go on listening and waiting for something to happen, I'm waiting for God to strike me down and just end my thinking process.

And yet, I hope he doesn't. So now, I ask of you, Warframe players, what should I do?

Be honest, be extreme, I won't mind, I just need an answer to settle this strom within my mind and soul.

I admit that I tend to play for long hours of the day, without giving a thought about food, water, or family.

It's just a game, games come games go . but your family can't always be by your side. Cherish their prescence I personally haven't lost any family members yet , but I'm sure a lot of people reading theses forums have.

Food is vital you know X)  And how can you not get hungry while you play? I get the munchies after playing for a long period of time.

Just take a break from the game , it' a grindy game .but you shouldn't put yourself in that state for it. 

Just take a break sort out your life and come back if you want to :)

I wonder if gaming is even worth my time, yet I play on, make friends, and have fun.

But, now it's effecting everyone around me and I'm confused and scared, I don't want to lose anything.

What should I do? Should just quite and focus on what's real? Should I just forget reality and be a gamer all my life?

I need an answer, I need encourgement, I'm a weak minded bafoon who is asking for your opinion on what to do.

I'm lost, I'm broke, yet I go on listening and waiting for something to happen, I'm waiting for God to strike me down and just end my thinking process.

And yet, I hope he doesn't. So now, I ask of you, Warframe players, what should I do?

Be honest, be extreme, I won't mind, I just need an answer to settle this strom within my mind and soul.

play only when other things are done  ==> play approx 1 or 2 hours a day max, like that you will do both gaming and having a good real life

for long hours of the day, without giving a thought about food, water, or family.

this is a problem if you have nothing to do it's alright to play but if you have other things it's better to do the others things, you can play whenever you want later

If you reached that point I think you can more or less already decide what you should do

Edited by Mokkania

If the games are starting to influence your family and outside friends in a negative way, you need to get your priorities straight and unplug. When you have your life back in order, you can game in your downtime when things have settled into a more balanced rhythm where your hobby won't negatively impact those around you. 

But if all you do your entire life is game at home, there's not going to be much to look forward to beyond leeching off your parents in your 40's like one guy my own mother tried hooking up with once not even a year ago. All he talked about was how much he sweats, while sweating. 

Do you really wanna be that guy? 

Find a new, productive hobby (on the computer or not) and remember:

Everything in moderation! 

If you find yourself being pulled toward the game again at a bad time, put yourself in a social obligation you can't (or shouldn't) back out of. For example, going out to dinner, bar, movie, etc with your friends or family.

Finally, if all else fails, tell your family your addicted and get them to hide your PS_, Xbox_, Computer, and any other devices that are affecting your life. When your back on track, tell them and if they consent then hopefully you can learn to play with obsession.

Good luck!

Depending on the situation with your family. If they're d*ckheads, then just forget about them. If they still love and care about you, then yes, I'd try to at least spend some time with them and play less games. All in all, you don't really have to listen to what I say, just listen to whatever you think is right.

Hopefully you can get some good advice from the community, but I'd suggest two things before you do anything else.

Watch this video. James Portnow discusses video game obsessions, how they affected his life, and how there is always a road back. If you need to hear from someone who understands your situation, this is a great place to start.

After that, consider getting in touch with a group called Take This. It's a group of video game designers, writers and mental health professionals who have built an online community for the purpose of providing support to people battling depression and anxiety. As a soon-to-be practicing psychologist, Take This is a great resource to have.

http://www.takethis.org/

Remember, no matter how far you go, and how long you stay away, life will always welcome you back. Safe journeys, friend.