The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Not Enough Enemies Drop Stances. (And Why Are Staves And Polearms Seperate?)

Innocent_Flower

The most common enemies drop the most limited stances. 

Machete; Two currently obtainable weapons, both of which aren't for low ranking players. Nice one.  

Fracturing wind: nobody realy bothers with it.

uncommon sythe ; there are few players who carry them and there's a grand total of three scythes. A common scythe and two almost identical upgrades which you're not going to get at a low level. . 

coiling viper; Even worse than scythes in terms of being a minority weapon. 

Staves; I don't know why staves are separate from orthos. Why not have four stances for four weapons, rather than two for two each? 

You'd think that common enemies would drop stances for common weapons. Lancers would drop one handed sword stances, dual sword mods would be in everyone's pocket. 

I'm not saying that I don't want to see another reaping spiral; what I want to see is multiple enemies carrying the same mod. Should I realy have to hunt down detron crewmen just for The uncommon dual dagger mod? probably not. Should the only glaive mod realy be both rare and given to a rare enemy that you can't desecrate? No. It's not bad that leech ospreys drop gleaming talon; it's bad that nothing else does. 

I agree that more enemies should drop stances for weapons that are more widely available. 

I disagree that the staves and polearms should be merged. Some stunts and hold of the staves would be frankly ridiculous with polearms, and vice-versa. 

I think the machete should be on the same grounds for the longsword stance mods and vice versa on the machete mods being for the longsword type melee weapons as well. Both are longswords to me.

The bo staff is basically a staff. It's meant to disable, bludgeon, injure/wound, possibly fracture/break a couple bones/limbs, but not cut or necessarily kill.

The orthos and the prime variant are polearms. They have blades at the end of their "staffs". These are meant to impale, slash/cut, and kill.

As for more variants of enemies dropping the same mods? Yes, it would definitely bring the grind down, But as DE as said.... the stances are something to be gained overtime.... (We all know how that one will go; "-donkey- that! I'd rather have it now than get it 'eventually'. I'ma farm the -donkey- out of these things to get my stances!")

Yeah......

Prova and the single Kama use machete stances as well, so only half of the weapons to use the first stance one is likely to get as a new player are unavailable, and only one is actually obtainable early on. Not a death sentence for machete stances, but far from good, and the stance isn't even that coherent anyway.

I disagree that the staves and polearms should be merged. Some stunts and hold of the staves would be frankly ridiculous with polearms, and vice-versa. 

+1.

You might as well try to throw Fist weapons at enemies like they're throwing knives. They're completely different weapons built for a different purpose; their only similarity is that they're double-sided and have a long "handle".

Edited by SortaRandom

Why should the Orthos and Amphis be together? They are different weapons, for different purposes. Why would you slam the tip of the orthos into the ground? The whirlwind wouldn't focus on the bladews connecting at all.

So no.

I think the scythes are OK. The two variants are nicely balanced, which is uncommon on the melees, and then there's one on the market which is MR3.

Whips have a weapon on the market whihc is MR0, so they're OK. 

And you mention scythes and whips, but not single daggers?

Fracturing wind I have to agree with.

Stuff

The problem is the way the loot tables work. They have loot split up evenly between all monsters, but then don't realize how half the monsters in the game are so rare they essentially don't exist or ONLY pop during alert missions(nasceous crawlers..), in certain zones/planets, or are just so rare you'll never even get an uncommon mod from them (electric crawlers).

They need to adjust rare enemy spawn rates and/or up the drop rates of mods off these rare enemies to reflect how you fight 1 of them for every 500 common enemy.

Edited by Kiaru

I think the machete should be on the same grounds for the longsword stance mods and vice versa on the machete mods being for the longsword type melee weapons as well. Both are longswords to me.

The bo staff is basically a staff. It's meant to disable, bludgeon, injure/wound, possibly fracture/break a couple bones/limbs, but not cut or necessarily kill.

The orthos and the prime variant are polearms. They have blades at the end of their "staffs". These are meant to impale, slash/cut, and kill.

As for more variants of enemies dropping the same mods? Yes, it would definitely bring the grind down, But as DE as said.... the stances are something to be gained overtime.... (We all know how that one will go; "-donkey- that! I'd rather have it now than get it 'eventually'. I'ma farm the -donkey- out of these things to get my stances!")

Yeah......

The orthos prime just has fishhooks.  It should be renamed to "Bo Prime" and then DE should make a REAL Orthos Prime that doesn't look like crap.

The orthos prime just has fishhooks.  It should be renamed to "Bo Prime" and then DE should make a REAL Orthos Prime that doesn't look like crap.

A Bo is staff. A blunt weapon. The Orthos Prime, even if it has "fish hooks" those are blades, that can cut. Making it a pole-arm.....

IF anything just redesign the Orthos Prime, since I will admit, the normal Orthos, looks alot better.

If DE makes a primed version of the Bo, I'd hope they stick to keeping it a staff, without adding any type of blades or hooks to it.

The bo prime design has been released(Unintentionally), let alone the fact that a stave can't have blades.

But if the orthos prime did get a remake to be more similar to Orthos' blades, I'd like it more then the current one, although I do like the current one.

• 3 months later...

Necroing an older topic, I realize, but I had a similar thought earlier today and thought it easier to post here rather than to make a new topic.

Concerning the classification of the Orthos and Orthos Prime, I think the two weapons (which are very clearly modeled after the Voulge, essentially a dual-headed Glaive traditionally with smaller heads) feel as though they ought to be wielded in a manner more similar to a staff than a "polearm" (like the Serro, the only actual polearm currently in the game). They are meant to be swung and spun from the center of the weapon for the most part (occasionally gripping toward one end in order to increase the range and momentum of the opposing end notwithstanding) and essentially both ends serve as "equivalent" striking ends. In this sense, there's no difference between the Bo, Bo Prime, Orthos, Orthos Prime, and Amphis.

But with the Serro (which I feel is closer to a traditional polearm), it's clear that there is one end designed as the "business end", with the other there for disarming or blocking. The weapon is designed more for the long, wide hacking motions or thrusts.

I just feel like DE missed an opportunity here. The four stances in question all have a very similar "feel" to them, because at the time of release the only "polearm" in the game was the Orthos. So obviously the stances were likely designed with that weapon in mind. But there's so much more territory DE could cover here. Lump the Orthos and its Prime variant in with staves, and change the polearm stances to emphasize range and wide sweeping attacks, to differentiate them from the speed and spin-oriented staff stances. Then, in the future, you can release things like spears, pikes, halberds, ACTUAL glaives, tridents, etc. These are ACTUAL POLEARMS, and it would be nice if the stance that was labelled "Polearm" actually looked like a fighting style you might use with a polearm.