Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Not What We Were: Reflections Of Veteran Tenno

ROSING

So I was browing through the Nostalgia thread in General Discussion (Check it out, it's pretty interesting) and I thought some of the things people said were not only applicable to the game as players but also to the Warframe universe as Tenno.

So I took some excerpts from three different ones and pieced it to be the reflections of three Tenno who were among the first to be rescued by the Lotus. If I got the time, I might make this into a rough comic of sorts (I ain't the best artist though). Hope you enjoy.

"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Somewhere in my mind, something is bothering  me.

I had felt drawn in into this world that I knew nothing about.

The Tenno only had each other, I felt that we fought together and we would never turn on one another. 

I wanted to improve. I wanted to see how far I could go even with what I had.

We were alone and against all odds, lashing out where ever we could to try and stay alive. We slew our foes not for riches or for credits, but back then I felt as if I was simply trying to survive, to get what I needed to become a better Tenno to fight the enemies that stood in our way.

But then...something happened.

At some point in time... We traded our souls for the numbers game. 

Now, we are at each other's throats over taxes and fortune.

Our hunger was our undoing. We craved power. But the stronger we got, the less meaningful the struggle became. Each strike became lighter, faster, harder, and every moment, we're bombarded with numbers and explosions and the death of our enemies.

Power has corrupted us into something that I'm not sure that I want to be. The sense of honor and brotherhood, the desperate struggle to survive... has all but faded.

We no longer feel threatened. And even if we do, it is by the streaming of countless enemies, rather than by a few, and we're more often swarmed upon and die in exceedingly great numbers, rather than just because we were stupid.

Now we are the indomitable empire. Back then I never thought that we could become this, but we are just another warring faction in the system, jaded mercenaries who kill for treasure, strong enough to establish territory among ourselves and squabble over it. Our former embittered enemies who threatened to destroy us now bribe us with credits and rare resources and we lap it up like dogs, doing favors for our once hated enemies

There's more things to do, more things to kill, but at the root of it...

What's to keep us killing anything

Must we continue down this path and become the monsters we once swore to oppose?

Today I...feel nothing. 

this community has a sense that they think tenno are loyal and dont kill one of their own kind when really DE had not much of a choice because there was not much lore at the start

hence why it gave off the feeling that tenno were what most people think they are now , people need to drop most of these typical pointless discussions , and let DE write the story how they would like to (Lore will come in due time)

tenno are not loyal but they are not ruthless killers / mercs etc etc (we have no clue), just there was no basis of lore to give us the full details on wheather or not tenno are who we think they are

and if the people hate it.. well then thats just us not everyone shares the same experiance on one thing than the other

Edited by DiBBz

Solar Rail politics do not interest me, let those Tenno who want to rally against Tenno in the name of false honour and thinly-veiled greed do so.

I'm just here to kill those who oppose the reclamation and safeguarding of the Origin System.

this community has a sense that they think tenno are loyal and dont kill one of their own kind when really DE had not much of a choice because there was not much lore at the start

hence why it gave off the feeling that tenno were what most people think they are now , people need to drop most of these typical pointless discussions , and let DE write the story how they would like to (Lore will come in due time)

tenno are not loyal but they are not ruthless killers / mercs etc etc (we have no clue), just there was no basis of lore to give us the full details on wheather or not tenno are who we think they are

and if the people hate it.. well then thats just us not everyone shares the same experiance on one thing than the other

You know what I liked about the tenno, when I first read of them in the Factions portion of the official website?

They were said to be fiercely loyal to one another. They were the epitome of the old ways of honour. They had no one but one another.

You know what changed? Everything.

We take bribes. We fight one another, no longer for practice, but destroying each other's S#&$ for a profit and battle pay.

We sold our souls, and our brothers' in the process.

We're not loyal? Maybe you don't remember what we were, but you could break the fourth wall a bit and check the Tenno Faction.

We sold out.

And it all started with Gradivus.

Yea, i think its important people remember that tenno have no memories prior to being awakened.

You know what I liked about the tenno, when I first read of them in the Factions portion of the official website?

They were said to be fiercely loyal to one another. They were the epitome of the old ways of honour. They had no one but one another.

You know what changed? Everything.

We take bribes. We fight one another, no longer for practice, but destroying each other's S#&$ for a profit and battle pay.

We sold our souls, and our brothers' in the process.

We're not loyal? Maybe you don't remember what we were, but you could break the fourth wall a bit and check the Tenno Faction.

We sold out.

And it all started with Gradivus.

m8 honestly your blurting out some utter BS , because ive been here since earlie CBT days and no where does it ever say that..

"The Tenno are descendants of an ancient and mystical civilization of lost warriors from the Orokin era on Earth. Preserved in cryopods for centuries, the Tenno now awaken to a new war, fighting and resisting warring factions as the sole bearers of the Orokin-created Warframes.  While the memories of the Tenno have faded over time, their mastery of guns, blades, and Warframe exo-armor has not.

Fragments of history suggest that discipline and chivalry are the cornerstone values of the Tenno: is this true today? The Tenno are emerging into a world unfamiliar to them. One sees a noble warrior, building his strength against an oppressive regime. Another sees an opportunistic mercenary, exploiting the Warframe's superiority for wealth. Regardless of their future, the Tenno stand united against a common foe, loyal only to each other."

there not loyal just yous think they because thats how the game made them out to be for you , dont splurt out stuff thats not true , your feeding all the new players false info (for those that are lore hungry)

and again this leads me back to the same point , the only way you see tenno as people that takes bribes or in your case

"We take bribes. We fight one another, no longer for practice, but destroying each other's S#&$ for a profit and battle pay."

do you honestly believe we have a choice in this in what we do ? its F'ing gameplaying m8 and its features that they have added to maintane more gameplay hours on the game for more enjoymeant  , if youre to self obsessed with the fact that tenno need to be your perfect image then why are you still here ? its best to leave now cause nothing will change not now or in the near future

m8 honestly your blurting out some utter BS , because ive been here since earlie CBT days and no where does it ever say that..

"The Tenno are descendants of an ancient and mystical civilization of lost warriors from the Orokin era on Earth. Preserved in cryopods for centuries, the Tenno now awaken to a new war, fighting and resisting warring factions as the sole bearers of the Orokin-created Warframes.  While the memories of the Tenno have faded over time, their mastery of guns, blades, and Warframe exo-armor has not.

Fragments of history suggest that discipline and chivalry are the cornerstone values of the Tenno: is this true today? The Tenno are emerging into a world unfamiliar to them. One sees a noble warrior, building his strength against an oppressive regime. Another sees an opportunistic mercenary, exploiting the Warframe's superiority for wealth. Regardless of their future, the Tenno stand united against a common foe, loyal only to each other."

there not loyal just yous think they because thats how the game made them out to be for you , dont splurt out stuff thats not true , your feeding all the new players false info (for those that are lore hungry)

and again this leads me back to the same point , the only way you see tenno as people that takes bribes or in your case

"We take bribes. We fight one another, no longer for practice, but destroying each other's S#&$ for a profit and battle pay."

do you honestly believe we have a choice in this in what we do ? its F'ing gameplaying m8 and its features that they have added to maintane more gameplay hours on the game for more enjoymeant  , if youre to self obsessed with the fact that tenno need to be your perfect image then why are you still here ? its best to leave now cause nothing will change not now or in the near future

LoL, I have no idea how you're taking that as an attack worthy for you to ask me to leave, but let me assure you that I'm not going anywhere, "m8". Relax. It's not a competition.

The part where we were mercenaries made sense back when we were paid credits to sabotage the Grineer and Corpus. Now, it's so messed up where we can, in-game, drive out a whole faction entirely. Perhaps this is not so bad. We're mercenaries after all, right? Keep the credits rolling in, Grineer. Like, bugger off, Corpus, you're not needed here. Just give me the money. Okay, I can take that. Mercenaries. Good for you. Made your point.

Oh, wait... I think I remember you saying... 

I dunno. Seems like we crossed the merc bit, at least, and we're certainly ruthless killers if we do decide to just take any job based on credits. Fair enough, I was wrong, too. 

But the Tenno are loyal. The Tenno are loyal only to each other

Unless shooting each other in the face until we poop Affinity has become a hobby, then it's pretty aggressive. The part that I disagree with was that the badlands was made with completely no lore in mind beforehand. They just thought hey, it'd be kind of cool if the Tenno fought each other, and I don't know how to think about that. 

Maybe you're right, and this is all just a bunch of nonsense we came up with in our heads.

But the fact is, DE didn't give a crap about lore, based on what's going on. There was a choice. There is some lore. And the lore goes against what the game is developing to be, at this point of time. Sure, I can leave if I don't like it. But then, you'd also have to agree that since anything can be added for the sake of gameplay, we can just pretty much start killing each other en masse, PvP style, because that will, in your words, "maintane more gameplay hours on the game for more enjoymeant".

Let's do it. 

Come on. 

A visceral free for all, 50 on 50 PvP match with permadeath and gore settings turned up to eleven. You can use any weapon you want, any Warframe you want, all the items you can bring, and we'll all jump on a Fomorian and ride into the sun while we slaughter each other and wear the slain Tenno's skull as a trophy. Last man standing wins a front-seat ticket to watch the sun burn his face into dust as the Fomorian crashes into the core and obliterates the Solar System.

Gameplay hours. 

If all games were about gameplay hours without respect to the laws and history it establishes, the basis for future game modes, features and stories will be weak. "Wii sports" is that sort of game, where lore is completely disregarded. This is what Warframe is at this point of time, barring future advances and improvements.

Let me summarise: We may be mercenaries. We may be ruthless murderers. But we are loyal to one another, and the recent additions where DE completely overlooked that bit until after the whole community was in an uproar shows that we may be going in the wrong direction simply for the sake of gameplay. 

It's not healthy. 

I'm sorry for being too harsh. I'm just a bit exasperated. I was wrong, too, but lore and characterization of the Tenno is important for building up the future content. Maybe you're right, lore will be introduced later on. But by then, who knows whether they're even the same Tenno as when we began? I'm not disputing that we need more features. It's just that the attitude that they released it in: Feature before lore, is really chaffing on my tender, undeveloped psyche.

Oh, no offense, but could you not call me "mate"? I tend to "mate" with only one significant other.

LoL, I have no idea how you're taking that as an attack worthy for you to ask me to leave, but let me assure you that I'm not going anywhere, "m8". Relax. It's not a competition.

well for start im not taking it as an attack , im taking it as people to stubborn and dont want anything to be changed and to be kept the way they so happily thought of the game as it was before

i never out right enraged and said you needed to leave , i said if people dont like change in a game history and want to be kept in the old days (early days) of the game then they should leave if they dont wish to deal with it

like mostly everyone sure LORE and story telling is key in a game but this game hardly ever needs to , sometimes a games mysteries is best kept that way as it opens imagination

now we come back around to another point i said and its to stop feeding for new to the game and lore false info thats not true , its fine to make suggestion and to show your creativity on what you imagine the lore to be , but the way you said it - made it sound like it was true and was actually is right

Oh, no offense, but could you not call me "mate"? I tend to "mate" with only one significant other.

No offense but i use "m8" (mate) as a form of acknowledgment towards someone as its a friendly reference to the person im speaking to , this is the internet "mate" - meaning everyone on it will have different ways of experessing how friendly they are and how they talk to you / one another

if you dont like being called that on the internet where its totally comprimsed of people having a laugh / trolling / having fun etc etc.. Then Why are you here! your lucky more than half the people here are understanding towards one another (most times) becaue if you had said the to anyone else , it could have either stayed the same as thing / went a tad bit better / or went south super quick

Edited by DiBBz