Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scanning Does Not Fit The Fantasy Of Being A Badass Space Ninja.

Yezzik

Even with Helios at my side, it's just an irritation to have to stay my blade so he can scan something. Whether I do it or whether he does it, scanning is slow and cumbersome and of little benefit to anyone.

Why would players want to fill up the Codex? What draw is there? By the time they finish filling it up, they'll likely have everything anyway. The Eximus types are the most glaring example of this--I think I can guess what three items drop from every single Eximus; that loot table wouldn't exactly be shrouded in mystery after the third or fourth discovery of "oh! It drops Oberon parts!"

If we must have scans, they should come from kills. It's an activity players will be engaging in regardless, rather than a side task that must be performed solo--both because nobody else wants to wait around for you to see if that's one of the Eximus types you need, and because you might have to run on Solo for Helios to work reliably anyway.

Cause ninja's never did any reconnaissance.  Nope.  Never.

:|

I do agree that the codex isn't really all the rewarding compared to the time you need to put into it though.

Edited by Aggh

They don't just give you info on drops. They give you info on weaknesses and resistances, that you can use to plan a specialized build. And DE has regularly hinted that there will be more to it as the game develops.

Also, lots of people are completionists.

The scanners also have stealth value. They can be used to see enemies through walls. And there ARE stealth players. I like to do stealth every now and then myself.

Edited by Archeyef

Neither does blowing stuff up from a range of 20+ with Abilities and a Penta.

Neither does taking mandatory mission elevators. (I don't understand why they're in the game) 

But I digress

Codex Scanning serves little purpose outside of revealing mod drops and satisfaction for completionists. 

I agree that knowledge for an enemy should be gleamed from killing them rather than taking out a Helios or scanners for a documentary. 

Tho the whole thing seems like it's still in a primitive stage so let's give it some time to mature (with changes to come hopefully)

From a logical standpoint, analyzing your adversary to learn their weaknesses does seem very ninja/assassin. Unfortunately the reality is that every enemy is so easy and straightforward to kill that it's kind of redundant. So I do like the Codex on paper, but it needs to be made a lot more practical and beneficial to be worth more than sating my urge to get 100% on scans (freakin' Eximii...)

To take a page from Bioshock, stuff like damage bonuses and unique items would be a good start.

A smart space ninja learns all he/she can about their enemy

^

Personally I think the codex scanning feature would be more thematic and rewarding if it somehow improved your combat performance against the enemies you study. Right now all it does is show you information that you can pull off the wiki.

The only thing wrong with codex scanning right now is how unreasonably long it takes to lock on and finish a scan. Getting scans on enemies like Hyena pack that constantly leap around, spin, spam crowd control, do 1000 damage in a single burst and crap on your HUD is so aggravating.