Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Platinum Purchases, Required Or Not?

AndreApex

Question

Inventory slots and cosmetic color palettes, as well as "armor". They have no statistic benefits, so inventory slots are the only real thing worth spending platinum on. There's also profile packs, but that's purely for forums and squad pictures. Helmets are sometimes rewards from alerts. Everything else, you can get for free.

Edited by APBladeX

Plat is purely a time saver and enables you to get things more quickly, that's it. There's no actual pay wall. You can keep your favorite weapons, or, as I do, attempt to collect them all.

If you want to keep everything you've acquired, well, yeah, you'll need to spend plat.

Edited by Vaskadar

Inventory slots and cosmetic color palettes, as well as "armor". They have no statistic benefits, so inventory slots are the only real thing worth spending platinum on. There's also profile packs, but that's purely for forums and squad pictures. Helmets are sometimes rewards from alerts. Everything else, you can get for free.

Thank you, this was what I wanted to know :D

Slots are the only thing that MATTER and require plat.

Early on it is hard but after a while you can farm enough mod and prime parts to pay for the WF slots and the weapon slots for what you want to keep.

The trade route is the best way to go, I can comfortably play this game and obtain everything without spending real money. 

You're spending someone else real money peasant.

Joke aside, this is why I love Warframe. Free players (with more free time and patience) can farm plat by providing items to paying players (that has less free time nor tolerance to the farming aspect of the game). it's a WIN, everybody gets what they want including DE.

I know most items don't require you to use Platinum points, but what do? Inventory slots? Please list anything that fully requires the use of Platinum purchases, thank you :P

Slots and cosmetics. Clan services (emblem / name change). The end.

Note: You can trade platinum that has been bought (not won or given free by an offer or given on creation of an account) so if you want to play 100% free that's still entirely possible. Slots are an annoying mechanic and I wish they'd just get rid of them, but they also happen to be dirt cheap. You can sell hot mods or T3 keys for a few plat each and easily get slots once you're established. The middle ground where you're new and suddenly hit the slot cap is pretty rough though.

The game is worth throwing some money at. Prime access opens again soon and you might consider that. People will talk about the crazy items in there, but just the Platinum and Boosts alone have made them some really crazy deals in the past and the exclusives and prime gear were really just gravy.

Edited by VKhaun

I don't wish that. DE has to make money somehow. If DE doesn't get money, then the game suffers.

Yeah but slots don't do anything BUT make money. They don't create gameplay, they don't create fun decisions and they don't get introduced in a good way. Usually new players find out specifically because they have finally crafted an awesome weapon but when they try to claim it... NOPE NO SLOTS GIVE US MONEY LOL.

I cringe every time I see a Rank0 Excalibur wearing a Yomo Syandana, because I know that this is exactly what's going to happen to them since they spent their free plat already.

Something no one has even mentioned, but Orokin Reactors and Catalysts can be hard to come by. With the exception of these past few weeks where they've been handed out like candy. 

Honestly, leveling any weapon you intend to keep requires the 6 plat for the slot. But it's a hell of a lot more powerful of a weapon if you drop the 20p for a catalyst. If you're collecting the frames, you'll probably want to buy a few reactors for them, although don't buy for every one or you'll begin to stockpile.

While you don't need to buy potatoes, they're certainly another thing to consider buying as they are locked behind a pretty severe RNG wall and something you can only get over a long period of time, rather than effort.

Edited by Darzk

.And that is exactly how I prefer it. It is far better to have to pay for slots so I can keep more gear than to have to pay just to play certain parts of the game.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. The mechanic for slots should create gameplay. Like giving you slots as reward for some achievement like clearing a section of the map or going up a rank or something like refunding a slot when the weapon is mastered and/or potatoed and/or forma'd and/or focused. It should be a carrot, not a stick.

No one has presented the idea that we should pay to play certain parts of the game, and I would say the closest thing we have to having to pay to play, would actually be slots...

If you're collecting the frames, you'll probably want to buy a few reactors for them, although don't buy for every one or you'll begin to stockpile.

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a reactor, to be honest. Sure, they aren't extremely common, but they aren't super rare either. I've never bought one, and I've got 5 sitting in my inventory, 4 of which I can't even use until new gear that can utilize them comes out, and one of which I am gonna be using on my Hydroid once it is finished building later today.

You've practically got a guarantee of either a catalyst or reactor every two weeks, thanks to the Gift of the Lotus alerts that come after Devstreams.  There's also the Invasions, although those usually go pretty quickly when they pop up.

The mechanic for slots should create gameplay. Like giving you slots as reward for some achievement like clearing a section of the map or going up a rank or something like refunding a slot when the weapon is mastered and/or potatoed and/or forma'd and/or focused.

Why? And how would you suggest DE makes up the lost money if they implemented something like this? Cosmetics? That just won't cut it, as many people simply don't care at all about cosmetics, while they do care about the slots. Also, what you described does not create actual gameplay. It creates rewards for gameplay, which we have plenty of anyway.

I can't imagine playing this game without plat, I've spent toooo much >.<

That said, their business model is pretty damn fair, if you have the patience you can trade your way to every premium purchase needed to make your space ninja a true badass.

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a reactor, to be honest. Sure, they aren't extremely common, but they aren't super rare either. I've never bought one, and I've got 5 sitting in my inventory, 4 of which I can't even use until new gear that can utilize them comes out, and one of which I am gonna be using on my Hydroid once it is finished building later today.

You've practically got a guarantee of either a catalyst or reactor every two weeks, thanks to the Gift of the Lotus alerts that come after Devstreams.  There's also the Invasions, although those usually go pretty quickly when they pop up.

I have about 25 reactor and catalyst sitting in my inventory. Most of my warframes and weapons I often used is all already supercharged.

However, I have played of this game for 1 year, and seldom miss potato alerts.

New players will have hard time collecting potatoes.

I do bought a pair of potatoes too when I didn't have them at all. But 1 purchase of each potato should be enough to hold you in fight. I advice to wait for the alerts though.

I don't potato every frame or weapon that I level. I level them to 30 and then decide whether I'm going to keep using them, and if so I'll start forma'ing them and will put a catalyst or reactor on. I have 20+ spare forma BPs and at least 4 or 5 spare reactors and catalyst.

Edited by ACorpse

You aren't required to buy platinum but if you enjoy the game then you should support its development and this is done via platinum purchases.

I just paid for the Prime Access, I don't even use the Rhino Prime i was given, I just wanted to support the game and I have spent the platinum I got on customising my growing stable of warframes and sentinels.

As soon as I get a 75% discount on Plat i will be dropping another £25 on the game... Bringing my running total to £85.

This game is worth every penny.