The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gaming Laptop Temperatures (Help)

-dicht.ThanksFrost-

I own an msi ge60 laptop. And before you kill me over "why did you get a gaming laptop" its because I need the portability since I move around a lot and use my laptop for much more things besides gaming.

Anyways, I have been playing games on it for a while and I was always concerned about the temperatures of the laptop.

I did do some research prior to buying the laptop and it said that, the high temperatures are okay in the case of gaming laptops, the parts are made to withstand the heat and another source told me that under 100 degrees Celsius was perfectly normal.

Now I haven't been noticing performance drops, but because I am quite concerned, is it normal that my laptop reaches temperatures of up to 95* Celsius? On the afterburner app (MSI) it says that I peat at that temperature while playing warframe.

Why do you play games on a laptop?

Try getting a cooling fan for under your laptop those usually help.

Link to bestbuy ones in the spoiler.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/laptop-accessories/regularcatpcmcat238900050004/pcmcat238900050004.c?id=pcmcat238900050004

YEah, one of these can help if you can not, or do not feel safe overclocking your fan.

Edited by Xirka

Why do you play games on a laptop?

Try getting a cooling fan for under your laptop those usually help.

Link to bestbuy ones in the spoiler.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/laptop-accessories/regularcatpcmcat238900050004/pcmcat238900050004.c?id=pcmcat238900050004

im probably going to get this one been looking at it for a while.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/cooler-master-cooler-master-laptop-cooling-pad-black-r9-nbc-xsli-gp/10205630.aspx?path=94f192c1516edc54bebe14037d1cf767en02

I also play on a laptop and was having issues with it getting pretty hot. I noticed in both Warframe and Payday 2 that I was having performance issues, which randomly happened one day. Before then, my games ran fine. I did notice that when performance dropped, my laptop was pretty hot and I figured that's probably why those issues came up in the first place.

Eventually, my brother helped me get rid of all the dust inside my laptop (there was a lot of it in there) and I bought a cooling pad. My laptop stays nice and cool and now my games run perfectly fine.

FYI, opening up my laptop to get rid of the dust did void warranty, though. It's a GT70. Thankfully, I've had it for a while now, so warranty was almost up. lol

I own a gaming laptop myself, although mine is two and a half year old now.

I would say that the temperature of your laptop is really freaking high. Mine reach about 75c when its working hard, but then again I use a cooling fan. 

100C boils water which is 212F which is enough to cause serious burns (upwards of the third degree)

you are right to be concerned. what you could do is buy a can of air duster and make sure your laptop is free from dust every 2 weeks or so. i noticed this drastically reduced temps in my friends laptop (he doesnt game) and my old laptop (when i started playing sc2). also try to keep some open air flow under and in the direction of the fan. you want it to push the heat as far away as possible.

do not let clutter clutter around your fans vent. id say at least 6 inches of open space at the fan vent (the laptop cant cool down if the heat isnt going anywhere fast)

Hello. I have an Alienware 14 gaming notebook. My temperatures reach around 84C after a few hours of gaming at max settings (60fps @1080p), but nothing too hot. I turned off overclocking on my CPU so it won't fry and overall lower its lifespan. If I had overclocking on, temps would rise to around 94C. The temperatures you're experiencing are normal, but I always recommend getting some kind of a cooling pad as it helps tremendously with temperatures as it allows the device to intake cool air optimally.