Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is The Mark Of A Skilled Player?

Sixty5

It is easy to tell if a person in your game is not doing well, say if they are constantly going down, or playing in a way that hurts the team. In fact most games have that one guy who just doesn't do much in the way of helping, and too be fair, at one time or another we have all been that guy.

On the other hand separating the skilled player from the average is much more difficult, kills aren't a great indicator, due to the powers of the 4 key, and most other end-screen stats are bugged.

So I ask you, the community, what is it that makes another player skilled in your eyes?

Examples are welcome

I'd say a combination of usefulness to the team, use of exotic weapons that do decent damage, mastery rank and a large degree of skill.

Take a good Loki player as an example. He will disarm your enemy for you, swoop you out of a deadly situation and deploy a decoy to revive you while using a normal Paris (for the looks) with great accuracy.

Another example is a Rhino whom uses his charge for mobility and roar to power up his team whilst cutting down enemies with a nicely upgraded Sobek.

Banshee using Sonar with a pin-point and lethal Grakata.

Finally myself as example; I use the starter gear in Prime form. Excalibur, Braton, Lato and Skana Prime because I have an attachment to it and with the right mods they work with good effect.

Knowing to activate Life Support capsules at, or below, 65%.

Edit: These days, knowing how to effectively use Blessing.

Completing a mission with stealth (No Ogris allowed).

And then someone who can take only a Skana and out-perform his/her gun-wielding teammates.

Edited by OptimumBow0

Knowing mission type and how to behave is the 1st key element.

Defense mission require you to stay and protect the pod, interception requires you to know that a letter flashing means a shift in faction control and that enemies go for the terminals, survival pods restore 30% and so on.

Not dying is another factor, if a rhyno with iron skin dies but a nova does not then the nova player has learned a very simple trick, you need to keep moving at all times to avopid the majority of enemy fire.

Knowing what enemies do is another key factor, letting energy leecher enemies go by is a mistake, those a top priority, in the same way you need to know when not to melee enemies or how to aproach certain enemies.

There are plenty of other factors and details, but you get from trial and error and experience from playing the game.

In my experience: A player, you almost don't notice, because everything is going just fine!

You usually notice players, when they don't do their job or when you need to look for them.

But being responsive in the chat also is pretty nice imho.

I like to say Accuracy is a good judgement.

However...even that isn't reliable. I don't think there IS a good indicator of skill.

Accuracy is a a terrible indicator. It favors certain weapons and playstyles over others. Plus, multishot allows for exploitations in personal accuracy rating - artificially inflating your accuracy over 100% with no downsides.

It's kind of difficult to say what makes someone "skilled" in Warframe, because of how easy it is to look badass in Warframe.

But I'd say supporting the team, the way they move, knowing when to back off. Using frame to its max potential.

players who get mad that you ARE NOT using M prime....players who use everything they possibly can to their advantage...from all running to get the wall attack damage bonus on their melee to using banshee to push enemies onto freeze pads.........good players know things.....they just do...don't ask how...but they know how the game thinks....how it feels.....what kind of tip it will leave.....how long it will last on a date.....they just know these things

Any player that can carry a mission solo, but does not.  Essentially, a skilled player is also a good team player.  I really cannot say it any better than OriVerda and KIREEPSO.

Also, skilled players are generally not press-4-to-winners.  Specifically, before the changes, these would be the Novas with max sprint mods and a Molecular Prime build, who insta-cleared entire tiles while I was two rooms away.

But, that's just me being whiny.

In my eyes, a skilled player is both a powerful teammate, and someone I enjoy playing with.

When things are going well, but you can't really identify any specific reason. It's usually someone mindful of everyone's flank without falling behind, taking care of big threats, or playing badass support. They aren't too far ahead, they aren't lagging behind. You never really notice them until you're taking fire and mysteriously, the enemy shooting you has been laid out. 

Accuracy is a a terrible indicator. It favors certain weapons and playstyles over others. Plus, multishot allows for exploitations in personal accuracy rating - artificially inflating your accuracy over 100% with no downsides.

You do have a point, particularly that accuracy differs greatly with each weapon. 

But give two guys the same weapon, more often than not the higher accuracy is the more skilled.

But to emphasize the second point...skill isn't a thing in Warframe. Or...more to the point...it isn't an IMPORTANT thing.

There's mods, then weapons, then level, then warframe, then powers, THEN skill in the order of importance.

Edited by AscendantWyvern