Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Most Important Change: Skill Trees For Powers.

Innocent_Flower

I'm thinking it'd be wonderful to have skill trees for powers. Either that means goodbye to power- modcards or that means there are mod cards with skill trees on them. Both are fine. This is a system that'd work along the present mod system and would only be there for powers. 

But realy. You'd have loads of little bonuses. Each upgrade would cost either warframe affinity points, energy cost or power strength/range/duration. 

But you'd get more customisation. For instance you could make snowglobe great for infested by focusing on the slow rather than the shield. You could turn fireball into something slow and heavy and needing to be charged up or you could make fireball something like the houdini splicer attack from bioshock, or maybe just something that sets grineer alight instantly from a long way away. Sonar could make big yellow circles of pain; Or it could make smaller red circles of certain death. Mind control could be made to work on multiple fodder targets or it could be made to work on eximus minibosses.

The variety you could have with the same powers is very high. The game's called warframe; Customisation of said frames to suit the users playstyle/needs is very important. 

Now don't go and point out power modifiers (continuity, blind rage and so on). Yeah, they're nice and we can keep them; but they don't do enough. Particularly with frames that don't have powers that work well with that such as excalibur. 

Edited by Innocent_Flower

DE has spoken several times on giving us alternate warframe powers, but we've seen nothing about it

the current mod system does modify powers, so it basically does what you are talking about

i do think each prime frame should have an alternate set of 4 powers, similar but not identical to the copyframes (ie the prime versions of the powers)

additionally i think every frame would greatly benefit from an expanded set of 4 new powers, giving each frame the potential of different build choices, only being able to slot a max of 4 from a pool of 8

lastly the focus system MIGHT re-introduce some kind of upgrade tree/node system for our frames/gear, but rly, no one outside of DE knows at this point, if they even have a clue themselves how its going to work out

This is basically what I wrote about here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/238301-warframe-ability-mod-skill-paths-adding-a-new-tier-to-warframe/#entry2762133

I explained how the system would work, and offered an example skill tree for Volt. You could only choose one option for each skill at a time, but could switch it between missions.

Shock

1. Chain Lightning: Shock now hits 2/3/4 more enemies, but deals 10/15/20% less damage.

2. First Contact: If the targeting reticule is directly on the enemy, the first target takes an additional 75/100/150 damage.

3. Shocking Bolt: Shock now hits 1/2/3 fewer enemies, but deals 5/10/15% more damage.

Speed

1. Lightning Speed: Speed now increases Volt's movement speed by an additional 10/18/25%, and teammates' movement speed by 5/10/15%.

2. Quick Reflexes: Speed now increases Volt's reload speed by 10/18/25%, and teammates' reload speed by 5/10/15%.

3. Cruel Speed: Speed now increases Volt's melee attack rate by 10/18/25%, and teammates' melee attack rate by 5/10/15%.

Electric Shield

1. Electrocute: Electric Shield now stuns enemies who pass through it for .25/.5/1 second.

2. Radiation Shield: Electric Shield now deals additional 25/35/50% Radiation damage instead of Electricity damage.

3. Voltage: Shock now deals an additional 25% damage if fired through Electric Shield.

Overload

1. Revitalizing Overload: Overload now gives Volt 25/35/50 energy total over 3 seconds.

2. Meltdown: After using Overload, the next Shock deals 25/35/50% additional damage.

3. Voltaic Shield: During Overload's duration, Volt takes 10/18/25% reduced damage, and deals an additional 3/6/10% Electricity damage with all weapons.

tbh when i heard about their upcoming Focus system thats kinda what i expected, having several trees to pick from to enhance our frames/power/abilities in whatever way we chose... instead were getting something that sounds like stance mods.